Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: General Lee & Rosco's police car

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2023, 12:57 PM   #61

Default Re: General Lee & Rosco's police car

The RJ Speed General is done. It definitely doesn't look as good as the Kyosho, but considering how boxy and flat this body was, I'm pretty happy with the result. This should make a great jump car.

I built chassis wings from Kydex that the body velcros to in order to help pull it in and give it a more rounded profile. You can also see the push bar mount and a rear filler panel. I also painted the inside of the body black to make the underside look better when it jumps.

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 04-30-2023 at 03:38 PM.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2023, 01:08 PM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Nicely done!

When I was at the Texas Crawlfest 2023 in Kendalia, someone had the Kyosho grey model with the black & white roof logo on a trailer, they were towing it throughout the event...

I almost thought it was you but figured you weren't likely to have traveled all the way from VERMONT!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 03:39 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Nicely done!

When I was at the Texas Crawlfest 2023 in Kendalia, someone had the Kyosho grey model with the black & white roof logo on a trailer, they were towing it throughout the event...

I almost thought it was you but figured you weren't likely to have traveled all the way from VERMONT!
Definitely wasn't me!
Old 04-30-2023, 05:32 PM   #64
Rock Crawler

Looking good.
Can't wait for some high flying action.
Zukiiholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 06:31 AM   #65

The video for the RJ Speed / WLToys build is up! Make sure you stick around to the end to see it in action!

https://youtu.be/2iTL_W61eOk
Old 05-21-2023, 06:41 PM   #66

For those who just want to see it running, I uploaded a video for that:

https://youtu.be/1F0avOVhKQo

As you can see from the jump at the end, it didn't fly very far and landed nose-down. I had the esc plugged into the wrong port on the receiver, so I was at half speed. As for the nose down landing, I'd hoped that sliding the battery back would fix it, but it didn't, so I had to resort to more drastic measures. I reinforced the rear panel behind the axle so it could hold the battery. That did the trick and now it lands flat, so I should be able to adjust how it lands with different size batteries.

In other news, I got back to work on Rosco's car today and currently have it in primer. Hopefully this week I'll be able to glue it together and get it painted soon after.

Lastly, I decided to take some pics of the Kyosho with some scale road barriers that I printed.

Old 05-24-2023, 08:34 PM   #67

Got back to work on Rosco's car. Used putty to smooth things out, then primed, more putty, more primer.

Glued the front and rear fascias on, putty, primer, putty, primer...

Glued the front & rear halves together then you guessed it: putty, primer, putty primer. I also mounted the mockup light bar.

Next I worked on moving body posts around to get the body to sit how I want on the chassis.

Next I need to work up the courage to paint the body. After how that went last time, it's definitely not something that I'm looking forward to.
Old 05-24-2023, 09:46 PM   #68
Rock Crawler

Looking good.
Good luck with the paint job.
Old 05-28-2023, 09:43 PM   #69

Well, the car is white. I'm not thrilled with how it came out, but at least I didn't have all the issues that I had last time. The white coat started to lift the primer on the hood, but it was minor enough that I could sand it out prior to clear. The clear flowed well but still ended up looking dry once it set up. I'm going to do a minor wetsand and buff, but I'm not going to get crazy with it. It'll be fine for how I'm going to use it.

Next is to add the chrome details, get the headlights, taillights, mirrors and decals on.
Old 05-29-2023, 05:49 AM   #70
Quarry Creeper

WOW , nice cars both.

In this picture the G-Lee looks like real car

I have one nitro 1/10 i like to convert to Brushless with universal parts.
I would like buy new body 200mm. Where can i find clear 200mm
Lee body?

That Rotcos Police car is so cool. Someone should make Lexan of these.
Jjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 06:00 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjay View Post
WOW , nice cars both.

In this picture the G-Lee looks like real car

I have one nitro 1/10 i like to convert to Brushless with universal parts.
I would like buy new body 200mm. Where can i find clear 200mm
Lee body?

That Rotcos Police car is so cool. Someone should make Lexan of these.
The Kyosho body is available in clear and I think it's wide enough to accommodate a 200mm track width, but needs a 274mm wheelbase. The RJ Speed body is wider as I believe it was designed for pan cars, and there's a bit more flexibility in the wheelbase, although I chose 274mm because I felt that it looked the best with that body.
Old 05-29-2023, 09:18 AM   #72
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
The Kyosho body is available in clear and I think it's wide enough to accommodate a 200mm track width, but needs a 274mm wheelbase. The RJ Speed body is wider as I believe it was designed for pan cars, and there's a bit more flexibility in the wheelbase, although I chose 274mm because I felt that it looked the best with that body.
Thank you, i will check out both, i will have it to one of my Rlaarlo ak917
i will have two of these cars next month. Already got one.
Old 05-29-2023, 09:21 AM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Dang, that General Lee just kept getting better & better looking. Looking forward to Roscoe's car. I know it's a 'stretch'..but, maybe, you could (eventually) add Uncle Jessie's truck, and Boss Hog's car, to the "Dukes Collection".

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 06:31 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Dang, that General Lee just kept getting better & better looking. Looking forward to Roscoe's car. I know it's a 'stretch'..but, maybe, you could (eventually) add Uncle Jessie's truck, and Boss Hog's car, to the "Dukes Collection".

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Uncle Jesse's truck might be a possibility if I get crazy enough to want to do another large 3d print. Boss Hogg's caddy probably won't be something I do. You'd need a full interior, which would be a huge amount of work, if it was even available. You can fake a decent interior in something that you just see through the windows, but with a convertible, it's got to be way more correct.

But... Daisy's Jeep is almost done.
Old 05-29-2023, 06:51 PM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Uncle Jesse's truck might be a possibility if I get crazy enough to want to do another large 3d print. Boss Hogg's caddy probably won't be something I do. You'd need a full interior, which would be a huge amount of work, if it was even available. You can fake a decent interior in something that you just see through the windows, but with a convertible, it's got to be way more correct.

But... Daisy's Jeep is almost done.
Always liked Katherine.

Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 01:50 PM   #76
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I've been a huge Dukes fan my whole life, and I always loved some of the more well done rc dukes videos on Youtube. I finally decided to build my own General once I decided that I could adequately mitigate some of the shortcomings that I've always seen in these cars and the videos. There were 2 big issues that I wanted to overcome:

1. The only good 69 Charger body is the ridiculously expensive 2005 Malibu rc hard body.
2. There are no good options for period correct police cars.

For the first issue, I'm trying out a few options. I picked up a Kyosho Fazer with the 70 Charger body. The front end looks totally wrong, but if you remove the chrome piece, the lexan seems to be the right shape to accommodate an inset 69-style grill assembly. Once I swapped my 3d printed Vector wheels and took off the front grill, it already started looking way better.

Right out of the box:

The printed wheels:

Wheels on, front grill/bumper off:

I also ordered an RJ Speed 69 body as well as one from Team Blue Groove. The RJ body isn't bad, but the nose and tail are too stubby. I think they'll be much improved with 3d printed grill and tail lights. The TBG body isn't here yet, but maybe it'll be better than the RJ body. It looks pretty good in pics.

So, that leaves #2. This one required a completely different approach. Nobody offers a 1/10 scale sedan body, especially anything that was on the show. I started digging into 3d printable options and I found a guy on Cult3d.com with a TON of body options, including a lot of 70s junk. He didn't have any late 70s Monacos or Furys, but he did have a 74 Monaco, which is virtually identical to the 75 Monaco that was used a little bit in Season One, so I grabbed it. It turned out to be a really nice model that I could easily pull apart in Mesh Maker. I'm about 1/2 done printing the body, and I've got a ton of work ahead, but I'm really excited about how this looks!

Nobody makes 1/10 scale decals for Rosco's car, so I've started making those also. I just need the body so I can size them appropriately.

Overall, this isn't going to be a quick build, but it should be a lot of fun!
What 3d printer you use?
Do you know any good budget 3d printer that is decent today 2023?

Sorry for offtopic, or maybe not. Because this Police car body you have Printed and other stuff.
Maybe there is better treadhs talk about 3d printers, another section? Can you help me guide to right place talk about 3d printers please ?
Old 06-01-2023, 06:51 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjay View Post
What 3d printer you use?
Do you know any good budget 3d printer that is decent today 2023?

Sorry for offtopic, or maybe not. Because this Police car body you have Printed and other stuff.
Maybe there is better treadhs talk about 3d printers, another section? Can you help me guide to right place talk about 3d printers please ?
The first body was printed on a Monoprice Maker Select. The second one was printed on a Longer LK5 Pro. It's got a large print volume and good print quality, but it's really slow. If you're just starting out, a Creality Ender 3 is a solid first printer.

This forum doesn't have a dedicated 3d print section, but the "Tools and Procedures" area is kind of the unofficial section for that.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 06-01-2023 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-05-2023, 06:48 PM   #78

Lots of progress on Rosco's car.* The magnetic body mounts are installed, although I think I need to tweak the body height a bit. The chrome trim is painted, the light bar is installed, the LED headlights and taillights are in, and the taillight lenses are installed.* I still need to install the headlight lenses, but I'm waiting for now because I want to swap the cool white LEDs for more realistic looking warm white headlights.

I've also been working on an interior for the car.* It is a lexan interior intended for a crawler, but with a little work it fits decently.* The driver and steering wheel are from Tamiya.* In this pic the driver was sitting way too high, which tweaked the interior.* I'm working on cutting him down to fit into the car, and hopefully leave enough room for a cowboy hat that I 3d printed.**

Coming up I need to paint the side marker lights, install the decals and then come up with a solution for the front & rear windshields.

I almost had a heart attack right after I took these pictures.* I grabbed the transmitter and must have squeezed the throttle. The car shot into the wall so hard that it dented the wall.* I originally thought the car was unscathed, but I discovered a crack in the front fender above the wheel well.* I glued that up and will need to reinforce that area to strengthen it.
Old 06-06-2023, 06:02 PM   #79
Rock Crawler

I think Roscos car is looking pretty good.
Yaa, I've had a heart attack like that a time or two. :O
Old 06-15-2023, 06:55 AM   #80

Smile Re: General Lee & Rosco's police car

That looks great! I've never seen the Dukes of Hazard movies before, but the wheels on the PoPo car appear to be slightly too big, however I have absolutely no knowledge on this topic lol. I accidentally threw my Gen8 in full reverse with the front wheels on max lock and rolled it. I actually use halogens from a Hess truck for my Gen8's front lights. If you want them to do something you will need a shiny surface behind the halogens, though they are surprisingly good and realistic for nigh time driving.
Logan’s RCAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote

General Lee & Rosco's police car - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General Lee Wraith CamposZac96x Axial Wraith 6 04-10-2014 10:24 AM
General Lee RC Car STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 24 12-08-2011 08:54 PM
general lee tuber neuera 916 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 6 10-13-2007 03:37 PM
general lee in gta rockrunner Chit Chat 2 07-09-2007 03:51 AM
Police in Italy have a Lamborghini Police car!!!! TwistedXT Chit Chat 19 11-18-2006 11:20 AM