Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: #11 Slash VXL 2WD HKS Toyota 4Runner build!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2022, 09:21 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: #11 Slash VXL 2WD HKS Toyota 4Runner build!

Incredible work, really enjoy this coming together!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2022, 09:36 AM   #22
Go Buckeyes!

This build keep getting cooler with each update!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 11:22 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

The way the front fender comes over the wheel is a mean look. I can't wait to see how you paint it. You're right that it looks awesome even with just the cage.
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 02:37 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Incredible work, really enjoy this coming together!
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
This build keep getting cooler with each update!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMerchant View Post
The way the front fender comes over the wheel is a mean look. I can't wait to see how you paint it. You're right that it looks awesome even with just the cage.
Thanks all. This build has kept me from my other misc things I need to do to other rigs. Should have another update later this week.
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 05:03 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

That thing is freaking awesome! I can't wait to see it finished.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 02:27 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

Haven't been able to get to the point of painting this thing yet, so here's what has been done so far. Also with me lagging, I'll be battling time and a nice weather day for paint.

Since the Gatekeeper kit also comes with a scale radiator, I wanted to add one that looked like an upgrade. Picked up this one by RPM. Might not be scale on the front side of it since that's where it's meant to be mounted but it's alright for this build. The interior was in the way of fitting stuff so it's removed for now.

Here's a mock-up placement when I first put it together.

After a good few weeks of how I wanted this to sit cleanly, I came up with this.

Those triangulated bars that sit over the motor area that are a part of the cage, I ended up swapping sides, turning them around and flipping them upwards. Turned out perfect in my opinion and now those bars have a purpose.

And if you didn't notice in the rear most quarter picture above, I also added these vents in the window by Demi Works (PN: DWIDS). Wish all the cuts and vents were symmetrical but can't complain. But they come with 4 pairs of different style ducts and these fit the rear door windows well.

I've a few more additions to this radiator setup to bring some more scale into the build. I just really need a day to truly grind on these damn trucks that need finishing.

Other misc things added. Proline Street Fighter tires for tarmac driving. I love me some real wheels or just truly motorsport inspired wheels, so here's my take on what looks more like a rally setup. These DE Racing Borrego wheels up front kinda mimic turbo style/mud cover wheels and the Fifteen52 Turbomacs have the same style beadlock look so I think they match well (offsets are slightly lower in front). But this rear pair will get painted white to match the fronts.

The legendary HKS vehicles have Advan wheels, so why not add some wheel decals to the fronts.

I swapped out all the links for these beefier looking ones by Globact. Real reason for those swap out was to use the stock links on the spare LCG chassis. Same idea went with the axles. Bought the Traxxas upgraded axles which have a nice scale look also. Since I've swapped practically all the other parts with aftermarket stuff, I only needed a few misc things to make the blue Traxxas LCG chassis a fully running rig using the stock body.

This rig is only gonna get heavier with the FPV setup, so an Element receiver box added won't hurt. I'll be running a Radiolink 7ch.

Old 11-14-2022, 04:39 AM   #27
Pebble Pounder

I love seeing updates on this build. That radiator worked out nicely, and Advan decals on the wheels are a nice touch as well. I had a set of the Street Fighters on a 4wd Rustler, and they became a favorite right away; the transition between grip and slide was perfect.
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:09 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

So many bad-ass details being added!

One of the most unique and creative vehicles on the forum...
Old 11-14-2022, 09:39 AM   #29
Go Buckeyes!

Man Goro, your killing it on this build! So cool to watch the progress on this build!
Old 12-08-2022, 03:41 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

This rig is awesome! Looking forward to more updates!
xtreme4x2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 01:56 PM   #31

Such an awesome build.
rfoster458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 05:31 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the words y'all.

Sorry for the tortoise pace on this build but I hope I'll pick up the semi slack. Goal is to have everything prepped for paint this weekend! Weather is showing sunny for Friday but I'm hopeful for Saturday as that'll be a day off.

Awaiting to spray silver on this styrene radiator box for "airflow" from the window vents. I am aiming for that visual air duct look when viewing the interior. What I am using for scale ducting is just some black bendy straws!

Once everything can be set in place, I still need to make a decision on how I want to fix the ducting to the rig. Whether they be glued to the vents on the body, or they be glued to the box and supported by the C pillar of the cage. I want the body to be removed easily but also have the ducts always lined up properly when the body needs to come off/back on.

I tidied up the wiring on the chassis also. I didn't want to do this until I worked on the FPV setup but found my misplaced mini zipties and went to town.

Also forgot to add I have been painting the Gatekeeper interior. I didn't know how I wanted to paint the dash so I attempted a white spatter look over a black dash. That didn't turn out well since I didn't let the white dry! And a pool of black smeared this area on the right side. So I've masked off the front area of the dash to be sprayed silver and the front half will still have the spatter design.

Last edited by Goro Majima; 01-15-2023 at 05:41 PM. Reason: forgot pic
Old 02-07-2023, 01:34 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

Masking stickers on and drying. I need to go over all of the exposed lexan from tumble wounds with liquid mask, give all the parts a wash & dry, and it'll be ready for paint.

Old 02-07-2023, 06:23 AM   #34

Love the lexan work on this, really outside the box!
Ross413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 01:15 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross413 View Post
Love the lexan work on this, really outside the box!
Thanks!

Here's somewhat of a teaser. The front end will be painted today.

Old 02-19-2023, 01:32 AM   #36
Rock Crawler

I've decided to not use the window decals and paint on the window moldings myself. Not only do I want to keep the windows clear, I also want to have painted moldings on for a reason. More on that later.

Old 03-24-2023, 05:15 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Alright let's bring this thread up to speed properly. What's not gonna be proper is the update sequence haha... First off, I tossed the bendy straw ducting idea for the radiator. Too much of a nuisance to mount into place while I want the body to be removed easily etc.

Front end paint process. Spray, sand, spray black, pearl, 3x clear.

Headlight reflectors chromed via Molotow chrome markers and grills flat blacked. Since I've been on a styrene crafting type binge, I made these faux DRLs. Completed product further down, but onto the wheels and body.

Painted the rear street wheels white finally.

Window trims fully masked, painted.

Onto another addition, styrene inner fenders (basic design/chassis cover). All of the mounting holes I've used are pre-existing.

This rig can't start without a fuel cell right? Exclusive RC ATL small fuel cell added to the rear and is a perfect fit.

Here's a glimpse of the liners still in plain white before they became flat black. Oh yeah, I gave the 4Runner a more race look with the "lexan" window treatment using M1 screws.

Shot of the painted Knight Customs spoiler.

And here's some final shots, showing the front end finished with the DRL look and rear shots with the finished decal taillights glued on the inside of the lexan. Didn't get all the bubbles out but whatever.

Trying to finish the livery decals tonight to make it to the meet tomorrow. After that, there's still the lighting to install and the FPV setup!

(Sorry moderators if there's too many pictures in one post. Let me know and I'll divide them up.)
Old 03-25-2023, 10:40 AM   #38
Go Buckeyes!

Build gets cooler and cooler with each update! Build looks very cool and mean! Nice progress!
Old 03-25-2023, 12:55 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

"Something wicked this way comes"...

Just incredible!
Old 03-27-2023, 03:35 AM   #40
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Build gets cooler and cooler with each update! Build looks very cool and mean! Nice progress!
Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
"Something wicked this way comes"...

Just incredible!
Thanks guys, always appreciated!

It was a mostly successful meet over at Mt Diablo this past Saturday. Just had a few hiccups with the 2 other rigs I brought but nothing major.

Here it is with the HKS livery. I still need to add sponsor decals, and I'm not sure if I want to add the actual sponsors the kit came with (1:1 parts lol), or should I do RC parts brands? Or both? Hmm. Onto how the process went and some of the day.

Dry fit of the hood decal. Love that it's a perfectly between the hood scoop and bumper.

Ready!

"Aired up"

Made it to Rock City, and spotted another Trail Runner so I had to put it next to it.

Same situation here but now it's a prerunner Xtracab! 2 rigs out here with the same flares but non Ford Rangers. This man took home Best Scale by the way. That thing defined scale nicely.

This was one of the areas that people set up at and I happened to hang around before shenanigans. PS: If you look far left, you can spot the one of the rigs I brought...

Not the best pictures to debut the livery but I promise I'll have better ones once I put more decals on.

#11 Slash VXL 2WD HKS Toyota 4Runner build! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ussprinceton2004's two Slash 2WD VXL (5807) ussprinceton2004 Non Crawler RC's 2 05-24-2012 03:48 PM