RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Non Crawler RC's (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/non-crawler-rcs/)
-   -   FMS Max Smasher - Bigfoot (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/non-crawler-rcs/630659-fms-max-smasher-bigfoot.html)

AK KRAWLER 12-03-2022 02:05 AM

FMS Max Smasher - Bigfoot

3 Attachment(s)
So, I saw this little rig and had to have one. Lots of potential for a little Bigfoot build. I had no interest in using the factory decals and bought some nice 1/24 scale Bigfoot decals.

Now here is the real question. I want to get the body closer to the old Ford dark metallic blue. The hew decals are glossy and the current body color is missing the “metallic” and has a very satin finish. Is there any special paint that should be used for the stock body?

Thanks in advance.

Attachment 401689

Attachment 401690

Attachment 401691

ferp420 12-03-2022 08:46 AM

Re: FMS Max Smasher - Bigfoot

i think building a carpeted display shelf for your micros is a bit over the top but hay if it fits your boat crawl it

lol

those rigs are nice for sure

maybe a clear coat with metal flake i think you can get it at the auto parts store

ferp420 12-03-2022 09:14 AM

it looks like there calling it glitter paint
heres a link to a clear coat with silver glitter
https://www.amazon.com/Montana-Cans-...0083432&sr=8-3

heres crylon but it looks like its not completely clear but just something else to look at

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0055...haWwp13NParams

there outthere i found a quart of duplacolor clear matalic too but its not in a can

high plains drifter 12-03-2022 09:29 AM

I'd use a Tamiya PS-16 metallic blue and maybe hit it with a gloss clear coat before applying decals and call it good. Be careful using anything with a big flake as that would really compromise the finished aesthetic.

AK KRAWLER 12-03-2022 01:13 PM

Thanks Ferp :flipoff: No carpeted display stands here, just the easiest stair to clean off so that no one else sees my dirty house :lmao:

Agreed on the flake size. I’ll hav to do some test panels to make sure the flake is somewhat scale too.

I’ll let you guys know what I come up with, but it’ll be 2-3 weeks out.

Gula 12-03-2022 03:11 PM

Hey, by chance what is the wheelbase, and how wide is it?

AK KRAWLER 12-04-2022 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gula (Post 6128000)
Hey, by chance what is the wheelbase, and how wide is it?

Chassis with stock wheels and tires:
Width - 153 mm (outside of wheels/tires)
Wheelbase - 137 mm

Body itself:
Width - 80 mm (at the top of the fender well)
Wheelbase - 137 mm

EDIT - I guess FMS states the wheelbase is 139 mm and the width as 156 mm. I was close …:lmao:

ScaleLifeNewbie 12-04-2022 03:15 AM

That’s a good looking Bigfoot!

I don’t know what’s throwing me off, but it almost looks like a hot wheel[emoji23]

AK KRAWLER 12-04-2022 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie (Post 6128021)
That’s a good looking Bigfoot!

I don’t know what’s throwing me off, but it almost looks like a hot wheel[emoji23]

Thanks, I’m digging it so far.

Do me, the “softness” to the color of the body it throwing me off. Once I decide on my paint color and method, it should look a little more realistic, but overall, I think they did an awesome job on this one.

high plains drifter 12-04-2022 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie (Post 6128021)

I think it's the lack of trim and scale bits.. wipers, door handles, emblems. Still looks awesome regardless. But that's where I see the hot-wheels thing.

Yeah.. some fresh paint will liven it up and bring out some more realism... That and getting it off of those HUGE stair-steps lol ;-)

AK KRAWLER 12-05-2022 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by high plains drifter (Post 6128044)
I think it's the lack of trim and scale bits.. wipers, door handles, emblems. Still looks awesome regardless. But that's where I see the hot-wheels thing.

Agreed 100% now that you mention it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by high plains drifter (Post 6128044)
Yeah.. some fresh paint will liven it up and bring out some more realism... That and getting it off of those HUGE stair-steps lol ;-)

I have some ideas on this. And my damn steps are so big because I got long legs :flipoff:, but I’m still suffering from “little man syndrome” :ror:

big specht 12-24-2022 08:35 PM

You ever paint it yet ? I just got the white one cause it was the only one in stock and the blue wasn’t right any ways. I’m just curious how the color came out.

AK KRAWLER 12-27-2022 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big specht (Post 6129099)
You ever paint it yet ? I just got the white one cause it was the only one in stock and the blue wasn’t right any ways. I’m just curious how the color came out.

Not yet. Been busy with the holiday stuff. Hopefully I’ll get to it in the next week.

big specht 12-27-2022 06:46 AM

Ok no problem. I end up ordering different electronics cause the new one come with a recover that don’t have any room for mods. I planned on doing rear steer but can’t with current receiver.

big specht 01-24-2023 02:49 PM

Not trying to be a bug but did you get a chance to paint it yet? I’m ready to order paint for mine

AK KRAWLER 01-26-2023 03:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by big specht (Post 6131095)
Not trying to be a bug but did you get a chance to paint it yet? I’m ready to order paint for mine

Sorry man, I just laid the paint today. Pretty happy with it, but as stated above, it’s hard to get the metallic flake size correct for R/C’s.

I sprayed a coat of Bulldog adhesion promoter and laid two coats of Rustileum Cobalt Blue Metalic #7251.

Some imperfections, but spraying in my father-in-laws dusty shop never comes out perfect, which is okay with me.

Adhesion Promoter coat:
Attachment 402216

Paint:
Attachment 402217

Attachment 402218

AK KRAWLER 01-29-2023 02:20 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Back together and decals installed. They are no 100% to scale, but pretty close.

Eventually, I will do som paint detail on the body for the trim and door handles.

Attachment 402224

Attachment 402225

Attachment 402226

Attachment 402227

ferp420 01-29-2023 08:35 AM

dude you made it look to good to be a big foot lol if its gona pass its gona need something
um

um

dirt ya it needs some dirt lol

AK KRAWLER 01-29-2023 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferp420 (Post 6131454)
dude you made it look to good to be a big foot lol if its gona pass its gona need something
um

um

dirt ya it needs some dirt lol

Thank you and agreed!
Not much dirt up here in the winter, but it’ll get some this summer "thumbsup"

NWCT24CRAWL 05-06-2023 04:09 PM

Looking good ! I picked the white Smasher up a few weeks back on sale at Amain . Blue was out of stock so white it is . Of course as a true Ford fan I refused to use the USA-1 decals due to the fact that the USA-1 monster truck was a Chevy that competed against Bigfoot .