RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   North Carolina (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/north-carolina/)
-   -   Raleigh People? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/north-carolina/251413-raleigh-people.html)

creepcrawlin 05-25-2010 11:49 AM

Raleigh People?

Me and my brother are just getting into rc rock crawling and electric rc's. we've had a gas duratrax rc since we were in middle school, but are into the rock crawling stuff for right now. we both have maxstones, a 10 and a 16.

i go out to falls lake and drive on the dam sometimes and i have a small course built in my backyard.

so who's out there?

here's mine:
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/a...P4300056-1.jpg

untchabl 05-25-2010 11:03 PM

I'm about an hour or so from Raleigh. I've got a Losi Night Crawler with a few mods. Also got a buddy nearby that has a modded Night Crawler. You ought to come to the Sportsman comp on Saturday at Anderson R/C in Thomasville. Just have to disable dig if your rig has it.

creepcrawlin 05-26-2010 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by untchabl (Post 2472390)
I'm about an hour or so from Raleigh. I've got a Losi Night Crawler with a few mods. Also got a buddy nearby that has a modded Night Crawler. You ought to come to the Sportsman comp on Saturday at Anderson R/C in Thomasville. Just have to disable dig if your rig has it.

me and the wife are heading out of town to see my sister up in indiana, so i cant make it this weekend, but i do wanna get into some comps one day.

plsu, i dont know if i'm ready to bust out a maxstone at a competion, lol. from what i've read on different RC forums, they're a joke.....although mine is modded quite a bit from the stock form.

i do wanna get into competitions, i'm hopefully getting a manager job at autozone, so i'll be buying a better rig, probably a g-made or rc4wd with metal components.

i also just joined the NC RC Rock Crawlers forum, so maybe i can get more of a heads up on stuff.

CRSMacgyver 05-30-2010 06:25 PM

I am about to move up to Durham in the next couple weeks so I would be happy to meet up one evening. Haw River is not too far away.

toytech93 06-06-2010 11:21 AM

I just recently moved to raleigh and was also looking for some good places to practice.

anyone got some locations ? ? ?

creepcrawlin 06-06-2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toytech93 (Post 2488498)
I just recently moved to raleigh and was also looking for some good places to practice.

anyone got some locations ? ? ?

the neuse river has some good spots, there are a few canoe launches around here with good access to some rocks. also, there is a dam out off of falls of neuse rd. the back side has a ton of rocks to crawl on. i go out whenever i get time

untchabl 06-07-2010 12:03 AM

Guy in Fuquay has a pretty awesome course at his house. He has crawls on the 1st Saturday of every month, just went to the most recent one yesterday. We're trying to get more guys out to the crawls, so I'll be sure to post up more details about future events. There is not going to be a crawl in July, so next one will be in August.

I'll post some pics from the last couple comps when I get a chance.

Army Dave 06-07-2010 10:29 PM

Anybody in the area that wants to come by and practice on the course I have in my backyard are more than welcome to it. Like untchabl said I have a comp the first Saturday of the each month and we have a pretty good time. Use to have about 15 to 20 crawlers show up but the crowd has gotten a little smaller. The course is pretty tough and about 95% rock and fairly big. We run 2.2 class shafties but are looking to get a berg class if we get enough. Send me a pm or check us out on www.toytownhobbyshop.com forum.

untchabl 06-08-2010 08:21 PM

Dave's is the place!! :)

untchabl 06-08-2010 09:38 PM

Here is a link to some pics and vids from the comp on Saturday.

http://www.toytownhobbyshop.com/phpB...hp?f=10&t=2326

The pics don't do the course justice, hard to see how difficult some of the lines are and how steep some of the climbs are. Overall a great course and I can't wait til August.

Dave, your lucky you don't live closer, otherwise I'd probably be at your house crawling every weekend. LOL

pbm45 06-09-2010 06:17 AM

raleigh crawl spots

hey saw your post there are alot of crawl spots around area to bash: falls lake dam, haw river, little river. as for comps some of the guys are getting ready to start holding some in your area. my father & I wanted to start in may but he had to have 2 operations on his foot. so it looks like early july. There is a comp at devils play ground next sat 6-19. it's awsome place with some stiff competition. Even if you don't run it's worth it just to watch some national drivers run some crazy lines. I'll be there so hope to see some wake county boys there.

Most MOA carry no more that a 1000 ma battery and are designed to run courses with a 5-10 time limit. At DPG they run 3 courses at the same time and put 30 people through in not more that 3 hrs. They run the same rules as they run on the national level. By the way, this course is all natural rocks (no rip-rap)

chris

shaftys are for scaler. moa is for comps

pbm45 06-09-2010 06:49 AM

Durham

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRSMacgyver (Post 2478979)
I am about to move up to Durham in the next couple weeks so I would be happy to meet up one evening. Haw River is not too far away.

Did I read this post correctly? You are moving to Durham?

Paul

untchabl 06-09-2010 08:59 AM

Can you give me some more details on the Devil's Playground comp? Would like to go watch. I know where DPG is, just need more info on the event.

pbm45 06-09-2010 01:30 PM

Dpg

Log on to the NC Rock Crawler site and scroll down to qualifying series, data on the event should be there. It is an awesome locations and many of the guys run on a national level so they know how to put on a good comp that is organize and gets over in a timely manner.

We plan to be there so if you come we will look you up

Chris/Paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by untchabl (Post 2493748)
Can you give me some more details on the Devil's Playground comp? Would like to go watch. I know where DPG is, just need more info on the event.

RaleighRCer 06-09-2010 02:28 PM

I'm in Raleigh too. I have been real busy lately, but would be glad to come hang out and crawl on your course. Pm me with more info, if you don't mind. I have a AX-10 , Losi MRC and a Berg.

CRSMacgyver 06-09-2010 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbm45 (Post 2493563)
Did I read this post correctly? You are moving to Durham?

Paul

Yep, I am headed up there to start work June 15th. I will be working in Durham at East Coast Gear Supply and living with a friend in Roxboro till next year when my wife moves up from Charlotte and we buy a house.

Hope you guys make it out to DPG. I will be there as always. I am looking forward to your events as well. We will see if I can make some since I will be traveling back to Charlotte most weekends I am not competing nationally....

CRSMacgyver 06-09-2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Army Dave (Post 2491249)
Anybody in the area that wants to come by and practice on the course I have in my backyard are more than welcome to it. Like untchabl said I have a comp the first Saturday of the each month and we have a pretty good time. Use to have about 15 to 20 crawlers show up but the crowd has gotten a little smaller. The course is pretty tough and about 95% rock and fairly big. We run 2.2 class shafties but are looking to get a berg class if we get enough. Send me a pm or check us out on www.toytownhobbyshop.com forum.

Dave,
Do you guys have dig on your shafties or are they full time 4x4? I have a full time 4x4 one I may try to make it out with if that is what you guys are running......

Andy

untchabl 06-09-2010 07:59 PM

Andy, almost all the guys at Dave's have dig on their rigs. Me and another guy have Night Crawlers with no dig and we go out there and compete with the other trucks. As good as your Sportsman rig does, you'll be fine running it with the rest of us.

CRSMacgyver 06-10-2010 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by untchabl (Post 2494806)
Andy, almost all the guys at Dave's have dig on their rigs. Me and another guy have Night Crawlers with no dig and we go out there and compete with the other trucks. As good as your Sportsman rig does, you'll be fine running it with the rest of us.

Are the courses setup so that dig is a big benefit? If not, then I will probably run the Sportsman. If so, I have a spare VP dig sitting around that might just have to get installed......;)

untchabl 06-10-2010 11:55 AM

It will be a bit more challenging without dig. There are plenty of times where I have to take a backup because I don't have dig. 5-10 backups on a course can sometimes make a big difference in where you finish.