Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southeast > North Carolina

Notices

Thread: Lake Lure NC !!! OMG.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Exclamation Lake Lure NC !!! OMG.

So, I took this past Friday off from work to take a couple of friends from out of town to see Lake Lure and Chimney Rock. Since I've been there a time or two already, I brought my SCX10 along to kill time at the river there while they did the sightseeing tour. Folks, all Ican say is.. this is scaler/crawler HEAVEN. The pics I'm going to post don't do it justice, but if you are interested in having a scaler comp in WNC, this place has got to be on the short list of possible locations.

Excellent mixture of sand, pea-gravel, small, medium and large rocks, plus the added benefit of water to make traction an important issue.

SO here is my word of caution...... Besides being completely addictive (I'm probably going back this coming weekend (!!!), this place is home to thousands of Copperheads... so you have to keep one eye on your rig and one eye on your surroundings. The hot rocks and cool water, combined with alot of nearby brush are a perfect habitat for these guys, and I have yet to go there and not see at least one... I found this one watching my Jeep. See him peeking out from behind that rock???

As soon as I put a tire up on that rock, he took off... obviously fearing my might SCX Rubicon! He was no baby either, here he is again....

So WHO is up for a scale comp in Lake Lure???
jkabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2011, 07:50 PM   #2

looks like a great spot, love that part of NC...
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Yes, this part of the state is so beautiful. I'm originally from Raleigh, so to have so many mountains, wilderness, and places to have fun outdoors is a real treasure. I just wish I could drum up enough interest to have some fun-runs or comps in WNC. Seems like no one around here is interested...
jkabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I'm interested. I live in Bryson City, around an hour away from Asheville. Are you on the NCRCCrawlers forum as well?
vader2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
Official Cook of the ECC

Took my comp rig there a couple years ago. Went to see my dad outside Ashville and went to Lake Lure/Chimney Rock while I was up there. All while I was still on crutches.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I use to go there for the F100 show. Can u send GPS coordinates?
Monstergt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #7

My in-laws live right down the road about 5 minutes from the Lake. I will have to bring one of my trucks next time we head out there and take it up there.
LKN Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:56 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

What about me? My Daughter starts back to school the end of this month, so maybe on one of your days off we can get together and hit up one of these spots, maybe give Vader a heads up too. I am right in the middle of a rebuild of my SCX, turning it into an ex US Forest Service Jeep Comanche. I also traded up a Trail Ready and I just traded up a Cherokee body for it, both 1.9 rigs. I also finished the 2.2 Bronco but broke the snot out of the front axle housing weak spots will show up quick with a heavy throttle finger and a porker of a 2.2 rig, wish you guys could have seen it , 2.2 comp line and I almost had it
rockpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:08 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

BTW Jkabee, your 1.9 SCX Jeep TJ looks almost like my 2001 Chilli Pepper TJ, I will show you a pick when you make it out this way. I miss that thing sometimes . I also had to go pull my Uncle out of the creek on the back side of my Dads property last Saturday and found a spot that I had completely forgotten about DA me, It is a bit grown up at the moment but nothing a weed eater and a round of weed killer won't fix. I have also seen a few snakes there so I will spread out some moth balls ( not sure if it works but it has kept them away from my crawling course here at the house and kept them off the houseboat when we had it ) I will get some pics as soon as I can.
rockpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:02 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Yeah I wanna run my scalers somewhere one of these days. Its fun building them but now they just sit and I look at them. I have my boys 2.2 Honcho, my F150 on 2.2's and as soon as I have a few more parts in, my Wraith axles will be ready to throw under my 2.2 Jeep! You may have seen the build thread here...

Blue torch monster........ By dmg
vader2728 is offline   Reply With Quote