Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southeast > North Carolina

Notices

Thread: Asheville area crawl spots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2019, 05:53 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Question Asheville area crawl spots

Hey guys, me and my family are planning on a trip to the Asheville area around Christmas time. Figured better to go do something then to buy a bunch of stuff the kids don't need. I'm gonna bring the rigs of course. So I was wondering where the good crawl spots are in the area? Also do you know if crawling at any of the nature parks is allowed? Don't want to piss of any park rangers for crawling their rocks. Thanks in advance for any help or info.
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2019, 10:55 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Asheville area crawl spots

Everything is booked for our Asheville trip. Getting stoked! Is there no one crawling in this area? Figured I'd get at least 1 response. Have already scoped a spot across the street from our hotel via Google maps that looks like it might have some area to crawl. Also plan on taking the kids to a gem mining place in the mountains to the South West of Asheville. I'm sure I can find some spots around there. Any info on this area would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-31-2020, 11:19 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Reviving this thread, as I have the same question. I live in the area and was curious if anyone had any good spots, I've seen the ones on the map but they are fairly old and I'm not sure what their status is.
Shinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:05 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
Reviving this thread, as I have the same question. I live in the area and was curious if anyone had any good spots, I've seen the ones on the map but they are fairly old and I'm not sure what their status is.
I wasn't able to get any answer from anyone in the area on here. I called the hobby town near Asheville and asked. The guy said there's a group of guys called Fairview scale trails on FB(Hate to refer anyone to that site). I didn't get in contact with them due to not having FB. He said they go to some trails in Black mountain. I didn't get to do much crawling up there, but almost any hiking trail or River or mountain in the area has potential. I used Google maps Satellite & terrain mode to find good spots local to where we stayed. Good luck brother!
Old 03-25-2021, 06:37 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

A year later and I'm wondering if anyone is crawlin around WNC?
vader2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:12 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

My brother and I just recently got scx10 iii’s and are just starting to crawl a little bit. Sold off all by crawlers and rc stuff in 2015 and am starting to get back into it. I’m here in WNC near Asheville. @vader didn’t we go to a comp in SC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wizardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:23 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I believe we did. It's been a while. I got out of crawling for a while until the last year or so. Don't go crawling much, mainly just work on and stare at them...
Old 02-08-2022, 03:44 PM   #8

Reviving in hopes something in the area happens. Me and a friend are into trail and C2 comp rigs. My kid just recently got into crawling as well. That being said I live in the Canton area west of Asheville and have began the hunt for good rock piles to crawl and setup some gates on. If anyone is interested I can share what I find and I would ask others to share locations if you know of any.
Jrochester87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 04:16 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

The best bet you'll find are some groups on FB out of Greenville. They are more active than most of the Asheville area stuff is. It also seems like stuff toward SC is a little better: Caesars Head, Falls Park, etc.

If you don't mind trailing, there is a lot. The question is what reaction you'll get from others on popular spots especially during the busier seasons. I've had USFS rangers take pause at what we were doing, but not express concern, but I don't think there is a uniform policy against RCs and you might run into problems depending on who sees you. I haven't had an issue, just be wary. Remember to be especially careful around dogs.

I've done a bit in Pisgah, but it's really nothing epic. The best area in DuPont is Big Rock and Cedar Rock, but you will need to watch for bikes. Some of the trails up off the parkway have the most interesting terrain but are also the busiest.

If you are looking for more dedicated crawling areas, I know there is a group that goes to a rockyard in Asheville, but I'm not 100% sure how they coordinate with the owner. It seems that I always find out about their events there after the fact. IMO we would do well to have a dedicated area (e.g. like Knobby Creek, Buddhas Ranch, Dark Hallow, etc) here, but no one has made one yet.

For comp rigs, unfortunately, there isn't a ton in the immediate area that is publicly accessible.
Old 02-08-2022, 06:42 PM   #10

I have been to knobby creek a few years ago for a G6 event. I heard it isn’t available anymore.

I am going to check with a couple of stoneyards here on Haywood county and see if I can get permission. That may at least open up a “test and tune” sort of thing.

I agree having a dedicated area would be ideal, I’m just not sure there is enough interest to maintain one. My buddy and I are going to continue the hunt for rocks. I am thinking about trying out the falls near graveyard fields, but like you said there is always a ton of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jrochester87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 03:18 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Graveyard Fields is OK for scale and trail trucks. Nothin too epic. I have some YouTube videos from a few years ago of scalers out there. My user name is Vader2728 if you wanna check them out. Waterrock Knob is another decent scale hike on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Nothing great, just a good time. Another spot I like is Craggy Gardens. Another decent hike with a scaler. That one is close to Asheville. Any other spots?

Last edited by vader2728; 02-14-2022 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-23-2022, 06:08 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Knobby Creek I've been a few times. Trails need to be blown off. Great lil spot to play. I don't know how to get in touch with the owner but a friend did at the time.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 05:25 AM   #13

I'm an Asheville Native but currently live in Flat Florida. I'm into RC Crawling but i do not know of any places in or near Asheville. I travel home 5 or 6 times a year and would like to do some crawling. I found an almost crawl spot on Bent Creek OHV but it was just driving on an incline, not crawling. I know Looking Glass Rock would be great or any of the other tourist spots, but how about a place on public land that would not be illegal or a long hike?
Thanks
Dan
RetroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 07:06 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Knobby Creek is no more, they had a big farewell event in the fall, I think the owner sold the property. Shame, it was really well done, but they also stopped hosting comps and such around the time I first went. They clearly put a lot of time into it. It was really fun and they had a race track also, really well thought out and the owner was super nice, but the location was kinda rough getting to.

Dark Hollow in SC is on hiatus as well, I never made it there, but he said it's closed for the foreseeable future, although not permanently like Knobby Creek.

There was another guy in Asheville who had stuff on his property but he gave up about a year ago to do oval.

There are groups in Greenville that go to Falls Park, Caesar's Head, and Glendale Shoals, but they announce events on FB groups, of which there are probably a dozen and it's impossible to keep up with.

Eastern TN has a few areas, there are some folks in the Knoxville area that are somewhat active on FB, they have some cool terrain along the highway near the river and I know they hosted a comp there this past weekend.

The hurricane re-routed parts of the Davidson River, which moved a lot of rock into weird spots it wasn't before, this is probably the most rock in one spot that I've found in this area but I haven't explored how easy it is to get to. This is down by the fish hatchery.

TBH it kinda seems hard to win with the crawling scene here. I think there is interest, but none of the public areas I've been to have any kind of rock features like what you see in areas out west or where comps take place regularly in VA and LA. Hosting events in either Pisgah or Dupont require permits and they'd flat out reject anything related to this. It would take someone with the land and people willing to build/invest in it: buy rock, rent equipment, and help build. I'd do it here where I am, but our usable land is too steep to do any kind of rock work.

We have so many trails, that part is covered, so I'd really like to see a dedicated area for it.

Last edited by Shinook; 02-21-2023 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-06-2023, 12:01 PM   #15

There several really good spots up near me in Linville Falls/Grandfather district. Check out Flat Rock and Beacon Heights off the Parkway. We don't have the volume of people that Ranger district has (main reason I moved out of Asheville). Both are great trailing and push the limits of comp 2 and 3. I go at least 4 days a week after work.
Canadianbacon828 is offline   Reply With Quote

Asheville area crawl spots - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bay Area Crawl Spots ANoodle California 66 04-13-2020 10:37 PM
Tracy area crawl spots??? wcdfmt510 California 0 01-14-2018 04:52 PM
Asheville area who wants to crawl this huge hill tomorrow ? ICrashHelis North Carolina 0 12-06-2014 02:39 PM
crawl spots in folsom area ovcrwlr California 0 05-07-2012 09:10 AM
Bay Area Crawl spots badger California 7 11-28-2005 02:13 PM