Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southeast > North Carolina

Notices

Thread: Need some info on NC state parks.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2020, 03:20 PM   #1

Default Need some info on NC state parks.

We were run off from stone mountain today and were told that rc cars weren't allowed that they were lumped in with drones. We have both looked all thru the rules and regulations section of the state park website, the only thing listed to not be allowed are drones, planes, pretty much anything g that flies. Does anyone else have more info on this or know where it says that they aren't allowed. Honestly we will just go back in a few days anyway.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
Redbeard725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2020, 07:08 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Need some info on NC state parks.

We had this happen a few years back at pilot man. and we tried to fight it with no results. We had 14 people there that day and even spoke with the park superintendent with no results. I haven’t been back since.

Now on the other hand I’ve been to Stone Mountain NC numerous times and no one has ever said anything or even paid attention that we were there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bugs Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:34 AM   #3
RCC Addict

There is nothing in the NC park rules specifically referring to RC ground models. We've been run out of a few parks in this pathetic state by overzealous rangers who cited the "motorized vehicle" line, however.

It's ignorance and bias and self important public servants, but there's no real recourse that we've found short of going somewhere else.

Like Bugs said, though, we've never had issues at Stone Mtn either, and the rangers at Rocky Face were actually genuinely interested in the rigs when we were there.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugs Crawler View Post
We had this happen a few years back at pilot man. and we tried to fight it with no results. We had 14 people there that day and even spoke with the park superintendent with no results. I haven’t been back since.

Now on the other hand I’ve been to Stone Mountain NC numerous times and no one has ever said anything or even paid attention that we were there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have been to pilot quite a bit here lately, I'm new to the rc crawlers but my friend has been doing it for years. He hadn't made it up the when the ranger had said we weren't allowed to play there. He's been going to stone mtn for years, we only live about 3-4 miles from there so its convenient. It's a great place to go too, I'm curious also that if there could be a way to acquire a special activities permit so they would leave us alone. Honestly since it's not stated anywhere in the guidelines like the ranger said... we will be back up there in a couple days. We did however screenshot the entire rules and regulations section so he could point it out to us if there is an issue. All we have found and I'm sure countless others is that are to be no drones or airiel vehicles. The ranger even made the statement that they had never even enforced the rule until people started bringing in drones to fly.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Redbeard725; 01-17-2020 at 03:18 PM.
Redbeard725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:25 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Good luck, I went through the same argument at Pilot and was basically told to leave or be cited for trespassing. I to have been going to Stone Mtn for years with no problem so I wonder if it's a sign of things changing with rules. Rest assure if it's not already in the rule book - it soon will be.
That being said they are still some great places to run - you just have to be quiet so they don't see you ��
Check out "Area 51rc Crawling Adventure" on facebook, a lil bit of a drive for us Wilkes Co boys - but well worth it!!
They have an event coming up next month - you should check it out.

Last edited by The Bug; 01-18-2020 at 05:09 PM.
The Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:52 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I think it depends on the Ranger. Some don't mind and others do. Erosion does more damage then a few responsible driver will ever do. As in 1:1 leave no trace.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:37 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I see the park Rangers stuck between a rock and a hard place. Like all of us at work, they don't much care really, they simply want to do their daily routine without incidence. But, I'm sure they have fear of getting their butts chewed from above because some bird watcher "missed his shot" because "some rude jerk with a noisy toy" scared away his bird. Like anything else, it's the game of politics. We as RC enthusiasts have to get in the game in order to make any headway.

Maybe it would help to discuss these matters with the "Friends Group" for the park that you desire to frequent. Most of NC's state parks have a "Friends of ___ Park" group that enlists volunteers. There is a 'donation' required to be a member - example $20 a year for Stone Mtn. This is the "purpose" statement copied/pasted from the Friends of Stone Mountain website:

"The purpose of the Friends organization is to support and promote Stone Mountain State Park for the benefit of the general public, including developing and promoting public awareness, providing support and resources for the maintenance of programs, facilities and recreation; advocating for ecological conservation and preservation of the park's natural, scenic, cultural, and historical resources and addressing environmental issues. These purposes are exclusively non-profit, charitable and educational."

So my thinking is - we all want and need the parks to be preserved for all uses, including RC crawling/trailing. We all obviously love nature and the outdoors. And given the time, effort, and money we spend on the vehicles we should have no issue with volunteering some time, effort, and money for nice places to 'play'. I think the volunteer route would be a good avenue to gain access to the "politics" of the state parks, help ease the minds of the Rangers and particularly the environmentalists that lobby the state legislation for the rules, and get the rules better defined to allow our hobby.

Also, as "friends" of the park, maybe we could even propose to volunteer our time and efforts to actually build and maintain RC specific trails and crawler courses within the protected confines of a park. That would help ensure that 1) nothing of historical or ecological significance is disturbed, 2) the enjoyment of other visitors (such as bird watchers) wasn't disturbed by our little toys screaming through the woods, and 3) our efforts are also protected from the general populous because generally only RC enthusiasts would be in the designated RC area. It would be awesome for NC (or any state really) to have a place such as ScaleTown in Canada where volunteers continually build and maintain an ever-growing RC crawl park. And such would be publicized by the state parks websites thus growing further interest in the hobby. The parks themselves may even benefit if they would sponsor events - could fill a campground during slower periods and increase their revenues by sponsoring RC events. There are many benefits to both enthusiasts and the parks.

But - it has to start somewhere - and I think if you have a group of 10 people in Stone Mountain area that would join the Friends organization, that would be a very good way to get yourselves into the system and get your voices heard while easing the minds of the Rangers and environmentalists. Link to their page:

https://www.friendsofstonemountainnc.com/

For other NC parks, see State Parks page listing all of the "Friends" groups:

https://www.ncparks.gov/friends-groups

FYI - this isn't limited to state parks. Get in touch with your local city and county recreation departments. Find out how to get your ideas and proposals heard by local board members for consideration. From the aspect of "volunteering" your services, which is the same as any company "sponsoring" special things, you can get a lot accomplished!

For example, a local (to me) city park was already very nice - a beautiful quite large lake for fishing kayaking canoeing, picnic tables, grills, restrooms - a very nice park for such a small town. But it lacked trails and places to bank fish - many many folks bank fish and love to walk trails. A local company "sponsored" trails, a gazebo, a pier, and very nice little platforms along the bankside for fishing. Yes, they spent a lot of money on pressure treated wood. But most of the building work and trail cutting was done by their own employees who volunteered to do so, because they are the local residents that desired such additions to the park they already loved.

We RC enthusiasts are resourceful, rarely do we need to spend money on materials. We can utilize many things just laying around our yards, or things that get thrown out by the companies we work for, or things we see for free on Craigslist, etc. ... to build amazing crawling courses. For myself, my company throws away literally tons of what my RC mind sees as "building materials". My local Lowes and other places will give away stuff (ie busted bags of concrete etc.) if you simply ask as a "sponsor" for something (ie an RC park). The things that come to mind are endless, but I don't have a place to do it, and can't really do it alone.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. My thoughts never stop, but I wanted to share my ideas.
vf750rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Need some info on NC state parks. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CA State/County/City Parks Policies lwarc California 28 05-26-2009 08:52 PM
No R/C at State Parks Comp Pixs Sprint 80 Hawaii 10 09-03-2008 01:27 AM
DNR to offer free admission to state parks on June 1 Indy Minnesota 2 05-03-2008 10:03 AM
WI boarder state parks Etype R Minnesota 11 02-19-2008 07:19 AM