Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > WRCCA Championship Series > Northeast National Championship

Notices

Thread: 2015 NENC Charity Partnership

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2015, 07:05 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default 2015 NENC Charity Partnership

As some of you may know I am an elememtary school teacher, I have been searching for a charity that makes a difference in the lives of childern, not just here in the US but also around the world. Last year we teamed up with The Autism Society and were able to raise $600 to give to them. With the help of Michelle at Krawler Konceptz I have found a truly wonderful charity that will bring needed funds to children for their education. With our support we can make a difference.

Please click on the links below for more info.

Student Scholarship - SD Marian

https://www.facebook.com/Communitaire

“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to
change the world.” Nelson Mandela

Last edited by Jslick; 03-20-2015 at 07:46 AM.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2015, 07:45 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 2015 NENC Charity Partnership

Solidarite Dame-Marienne Ecole Communitaire, (formally Plonquette School) is located in a fishing village on the outskirts of Dame Marie, Haiti provides the only elementary education within 6 miles. All funding for supplies and salaries is dependent on the small tuitions the children pay.

The school has been in operation since 1972 with just 3 students at the founding: it is now an accredited government school. We even still one of the original employees working for us sharing the security position. The area the school is in has grown over the years and now it has about 180 students ranging in age from 3-13 years old. Dame Marie is a very poor fishing town so being able to send a child to school is virtually impossible. Most schools require parents to pay about $125 per year for elementary age children plus the cost of a uniform and materials. We want to make education possible for the children in our area possible with your help.

Most live off less than $2.00 per day.

The school itself is made of handmade bricks; it has no doors or windows for security or to keep the rain out. The roof is very old and the children and school materials get wet during every rain storm which are frequent during the three rainy seasons. It has no water for the children to drink during the day and no power, some rooms have 2-3 classes in them making it extremely difficult to learn and teach. The people of Haiti are used to making things work but even they can no longer keep the building functional. It desperately needs a new roof or tarps and shutters for the window openings. It also needs tarps so that they can build a bamboo awning to extend the school outside. We estimate that this would cost about $1,000 to do all the work. The building and land are presently rented however, we have been working with the mayor to find government land for the future and have recently succeeded in obtaining a large piece not too far from the present location. This means when we are able to build a new school so we will not have to pay rent and no one can tell the school to relocate again. We pay rent on the present property but have managed to negotiate this year’s rent for no fee from the land owner. The parents have agreed to pay 100gds for supplies, which is about $2.50. This is a struggle for many of them. The teachers supplement their small salaries by fishing, trading, and often must rely on the little community for food.

The school has 11 dedicated teachers, a principal and a teacher that comes in part-time to train the teachers on good teaching methods and how to use the government curriculum. The teachers have gone with little or no pay for the last 2 years. We believe that they deserve to be paid for the outstanding work they do for the local children. We have budgeted to pay them $100 USD a month. There are also costs related to security, cleaning, and a part-time nurse all of whom are crucial to the well-being of the children who often exhibit malnutrition, injuries, and tropical illnesses. On top of that books, chalk, pencils, crayons, paper, art supplies, balls, maintenance and other necessary learning materials are required.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:28 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Thank you!! I know the children and teachers will truly appreciate the help. I had worked with Craig who is now in Haite and trying to make a difference. He is trying to help the school and is working on a clean water filter system to help.

It is wonderful to see the RC community to support this. Thank you again
Krawler Konceptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:40 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Here is the event bag. Thanks to Big D's RC's for being part of this event since the beginning three years ago. So far we have raised $400 for the school.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:14 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Not only was the event a great success, but we were able to raise $500 for the school. I will be sending out the money this week. To most of us $500 is the cost of some servos for our super or a winter rebuild. To the students and staff at the school it is a wonderful and unbelievably generous gift from people they have never met. Thanks to all the drivers that selflessly gave to support the charity.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:08 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The charity donation of $500 was sent out today.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:23 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

That is awesome this hobby can contribute like that! Great group of people!
M_ENERGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:35 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Eastern Pennsylvania RC Crawlers decided as a club two years ago to sponsor a charity for the NENC. It is nice to be able to help others. Sponsoring a charity is a wonderful way to give back to the community even if it is not your local community. Each year we will continue to find a group who could use our assistance. I am truly grateful to all the drivers who signed up for the event, you made this donation possible.

Last edited by Jslick; 07-16-2015 at 08:01 AM.

2015 NENC Charity Partnership - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2015 NENC Schedule Jslick Northeast National Championship 3 07-08-2015 08:15 AM
Special Announcement: (NENC) Northeast National Championship Jslick Northeast National Championship 2 03-29-2015 10:36 AM
NMRCC 2014/2015 Comp 9.5 Top of Copper 3/01/2015 scomck5 New Mexico 8 03-01-2015 08:28 AM
2014 NENQ Charity Partnership Jslick Northeast National Championship 22 06-30-2014 03:42 PM
Press Release - W.E. Rock and Trail-Gear Partnership JTTG Competitions 40 04-03-2009 11:12 AM