Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southwest > Oklahoma

Notices

Thread: New to Crawling, seeing who is local.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #1

Default New to Crawling, seeing who is local.

Hey there guys. I was wanting to see if there was anyone who might be close to where I live. I currently reside in Shawnee, and aspire to move a little south to Asher. I am sure there are alot of yall from the city, and if so post up. But is there anyone who lives closer to me? And if so, maybe when I get a crawler built and running, we might get together and conquer some rought terrains.
PCLB_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: New to Crawling, seeing who is local.

Seems like there are a lot of us here in the great state of Oklahoma, just spread out!
I am from the far eastern side of the state, but there is a bunch from your area, I am sure they will chime in. Here is a Thread kind of telling where everybody is from.
If you get a chance you need to come out to the OKRCRC comp this February 11th in Disney, OK., here's a Link to some info on it.
It will be a great place to meet people in the hobby and check out all the crawlers!
OKJeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #3

Yeah, I saw that, but due to lack of time, I haven't gotten far on there.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #4

There are several guys in Shawnee with crawlers.
DEADEYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #5

I am trying to get pics ready for upload so you can see what I have. I thought it was creeper based, but it looks to be axial. Not sure what axles. It has a swx (or something like that) chassis. Battery mounted to the rear axle, esc on rear upper links, 4 1/4oz weights on servo. I have trouble on steep inclines, it tips backward too quickly. Also the front axle doesnt settle right. I am sure this all is due to the battery on the rear axle. I am looking around the axial thread for ideas, but if any of you have an idea for weight balance, lmk. Also, I have the ability to charge lipo, but I am not ready for the expence of purchasig lipos. I am not sure if a xl5 esc will run lipos either, I need to look that up. Oh, installed electronics, waterproof xl5, intergy brushed crawler motor unknown turn but shes slow, unsure of oz servo, losi 2.4 radio gear, 3300 6 cell stick pack. As soon as I can, I will load pics for a better idea of what I am dealing with.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
Holmes Hobbies

It will, ya need to use photobucket to download your pics then use the copy/paste to your post.

Traxxas - XL-5 ESC with LVD (#3018R) - Overview | traxxas.com
CD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #7

I was able to move the battery to the front axle, double sided tape to mount the battery plate to the servo, and moved the esc to the front upper links as well. I also removed the 4 1/4oz weights from the servo. It is a totally different ride now. much more stable, front axle settles nicely, and it will dig out of some tight spots pretty easy. I will get the pics up tonight. (my daughter is playing with my phone/camera right now,lol).
Old 01-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #8

Lets try some pics. http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/...urrent=009.jpg
I hope this works, first attempt with photobucket.
I removed several pics I linked up. I figured out you can view all the albums pics with one link.
Let me know what you guys think, I do not know what axial crawler this is so I was hoping someone could tell me. Can I raise the steering links without upsetting the truck? What will it do if I raise or lower the upper links on the chassis? I was wanting to know if it looks like a good setup as far as the chassis, shocks, tires, esc, motor go. I hate the body, I despize Losi, and it is a Losi body lol. Looking to change that very soon. I have thus far lost the front shaft(loose set screw) and lost the steer link(lost nut).
Sorry for all the questions. I am new to this stuff and have a screwed up thumb right now so it is very difficult to make adjustments just for trial and error purposes.

Last edited by PCLB_Racing; 01-28-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: figured stuff out
Old 01-29-2012, 01:54 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

You have got yourself an AX10 Scorpion with a Bender SWX chassis, looks pretty good too!
OKJeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:50 AM   #10

PCLB, OKJEEPin can give info where he purchased his lipos, some under $10.00. Do I need to hook ya up with the Shawnee guys? No comp rigs just bashers (Night Crawlers, Mad Torque and etc.). Robert
Old 01-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

yep bender chassis. they are pretty good, old school, chassis's. i noticed it's still 3 link suspension on both ends. changing over to 4 link would help with some torque twist and is a little smoother.

if your looking for batteries hobbypartz.com

the sky lipos they sell are good batteries and the price is right! i just ordered 4 sky lipo 800mah 3s batteries for like $6 apiece.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #12

Thanks for the reply, Chris. There ya go, cheap and good lipos.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #13

The xl5 esc I have does not say lipo cutoff like the new ones do. I am interested in the 4 link. Also, how can I get more travel from the suspention? It seems to maxx out a little shallower than I want. I was thinking of trying my old rear evader shocks, they seem to travel more than the shocks that are already on there.

And yea, I may need to hook up with some local guys to hone my skillz and pick their brains

Last edited by PCLB_Racing; 01-29-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #14

My grandson has ran 750 mah lipos since 2008 and stock electronics in his MRC. No cutoff and when he sees that it slows down he tells me. In the old days our races lasted 4 minutes and was lucky to finish a race sometimes. Now my older grandson races a Slash and in 2009 we started using lipos and get 45 minutes ran times. I guess what I'm saying is do yourself a favor and get some lipos and enjoy your basher longer per charge. Besides you'll be ready to comp when you decide to start.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #15

I guess I should. Lipos are lighter and last longer. I might be able to afford 1-2 of the cheap ones right now. I really do need to grab up a new motor for the slash roller I just got. Thinking that after that, the lipo buying may have to take place.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #16
Holmes Hobbies

Just click on image code then paste to your post.
Thats a great starter rig and it should work better with the battery in on the axle to clear your wheel for more steering.

Last edited by CD13; 01-29-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #17

The battery and tray barely barely touch the inner most nobbies on the tires at full turn. I set it back far enough to clear, and still hold strong. I will probably move it back a touch more still. Having trouble doing much of anything right now with my thumb being jacked up. For now tho, it feels pretty decent. I think that more adjustments are needed, and may have to finally go lipo. The little bit of run time I've had so far has got me feeling pretty good about starting in the crawling world. The twisting, gripping, and control over a completly uneven surface is a welcome change to the same ol same ol. Besides, I am hoping that repairs will come a little less often once shes dialed in to my liking.
I've looked around at body options, not really finding nothing I like alot. You guys have a preference for your bodies?
Old 01-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #18

just trying this out,

Ha, it worked, whos da man, I'm da man!!!
Thanks for the pic tip.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #19
Holmes Hobbies

There ya go.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #20

I live in the shawnee area and am new to crawling also. I have a coworker from the Mcloud area that got me into RC crawling. We have hit up Shawnee Twin lakes a few times. I plan on spending many a days out there when the weather warms up. I plan on getting my son a crawler too, so he doesnt hog mine all the time. He is 4 but can really tear it up with an rc!
mccollom405 is offline   Reply With Quote

New to Crawling, seeing who is local. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
some scale crawling at the local park busman721 Videos! 1 11-24-2010 02:52 PM
local crawling spots davebarlow13 Massachusetts 4 01-03-2010 11:44 PM
need close to local rc crawling club tylansdaddy Alabama 3 09-11-2009 11:59 AM
Local MS Coast Crawling Pics BGGruff Mississippi 7 01-17-2008 10:43 AM
Local Rock Crawling Comp (1:1) mrpink Chit Chat 1 05-19-2007 07:13 PM