Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Upscale Paint Booth

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Upscale Paint Booth

I want to make a Paint booth in my basement so tell me if you think this will work? Thinking about using an over head stove hood with a fan and light as the major component. Making a three sided box to set it on. And then routing the duct out a basement window. Fan controls the fumes and built in lighting, sound like it will work or a waist of time and money?
jeepfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I think you want the air pulled from behind not up, it would work for fumes but I'm not sure it would be good for flying particals.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
I think you want the air pulled from behind not up, it would work for fumes but I'm not sure it would be good for flying particals.
I agree with ^... This way it would cover both at once because particles don't always float to the top. IMO, where ever you decide on putting the fan, I would keep it a little bit away from the actual workspace too, so that particles and such aren't dragged into the fresh paint (depending on the power the ventilation system will have).

Overall, I think this is a great idea!

-Tim
Tim_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:28 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Looked at the cfm rating of the cheap ones at Home Depot and their 190cfm. I'm not sure that would be all that much to do any harm. as far as "updraft or down draft" this is a home made unit andwe're really just trying to keep mom from killing us or us killing the dog with fumes. Other than that go for it right?
Old 02-25-2008, 04:29 PM   #5

I'd be a bit concerned with flammable paint vapors being ignited by the fan in the range hood, unless of course you are just spraying water based color.
Dusty64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:30 PM   #6

i made a booth like that, kinda a 2X2 frame about the size of a phone booth wrapped in plastic with inlet vents and an old bathroom vent fan. they're right about the trapped particles, just mean paint less at a time and wear a yellow or purple cartridge full face mask

it works but could be improved on, im gunna look for some 120V muffin fans
electrohacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:58 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Your going to want to make it a side or side down draft. get you a small box fan, flexible dryer vent tubing, 2 small filters (heater) 1 exhaust - 1 make up . Your need to put the fan outside, it is easier to draw the air out then to push it. This is an easy way to do it.
drumbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:14 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbeater View Post
Your going to want to make it a side or side down draft. get you a small box fan, flexible dryer vent tubing, 2 small filters (heater) 1 exhaust - 1 make up . Your need to put the fan outside, it is easier to draw the air out then to push it. This is an easy way to do it.

Yup now your logging.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:23 PM   #9

From my experience painting 1:1 cars, you will want the exhaust pulling down. I our paint booth we have the exhaust vents built into the floor. This will keep the particles down and will keep anything from blowing up off the ground. Just my .02, sounds like a good idea though.
ReklessOffRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:24 PM   #10
I joined the Band!

Did I hear someone say they are going to use a muff fan?

I'm one of those! Anyone else?
jaxcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:30 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I'll second that Muff fan, Oh yah.

Neil, a down draft system is the way to go. Also keeps particals and dust from getting on the paint.

Last edited by JUSTGOINGSLOW; 02-25-2008 at 05:33 PM.
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty64 View Post
I'd be a bit concerned with flammable paint vapors being ignited by the fan in the range hood, unless of course you are just spraying water based color.

This would be my biggest concern. I know for a fact that the vent hud fan is not explosion proff and man I can see a real big fire ball in your basement Just My $0.02
af_juicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:24 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I got a question about the fireball thing, If the fan were able to ignite the paint fumes then it would also ignite the grease that collects on the filter? I have heard of grease fires in kitchen's but never by the equipment not being properly cleaned. Always
by flame up on the dirty filters.
As far as the downdraft booth idea think of it this way. You paint the body of your clear body from the inside right! Isn't it always in your hand or upside down on the table? Bottoms up, Flows up! Having a down draft booth would be counter productive.

I'm trying to clear out some of the fumes and associated mess of the airbrushing with this thing, I'm not sure that it would be a fire hazard but it seems like a better alternative than painting within 10ft of my gas furnace and water heater! I will be using some solvent based paints but the airbrushing should keep their vapors within check, they put out a lot less then the aerosols.

Last edited by jeepfreek; 02-25-2008 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 02-25-2008, 08:01 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReklessOffRoad View Post
From my experience painting 1:1 cars, you will want the exhaust pulling down. I our paint booth we have the exhaust vents built into the floor. This will keep the particles down and will keep anything from blowing up off the ground. Just my .02, sounds like a good idea though.

This is the way that it needs to be done, just use a filter in the bottom like an auto booth does.
nosduj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:16 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

if you have a gas water heater dont use flamable paint.

one of my freinds was working on a lawnmower in his basment. the fume went up the chute and his house burnt down.
cammok5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:09 PM   #16
06 Super National Champ

Here's a booth I built about 4 years ago.

The floor measures about 30 x 18 and it's tall enough that I can easily see the top of what I'm painting.

Shop-Vac hose connection, MDF, window screen, cheap wood for frames/supports, flourescent light, weatherstripping, some hinges, and a sheet of lexan.

I need to replace the weatherstripping for the window now.

I designed it so I could get large objects easily in and out...hence the flip-up front window.

When I want to use it I just plug the Shop-Vac into the rear connection, turn the light on, and spray away.

Flourescent light mounted up top.

All items rest on a screen that's attached to a frame.

Under the screen is a 16 x 25 air filter to catch overspray.

Under the filter are a few supports. Notice how no paint escaped through the filter or at the edges of the filter. The mesh screen's frame overlaps the edge of the filter. All the air has to pass through the filter. I used some scrap pieces in the corners and a couple of supports through the center. Notice the Shop-Vac connection in the rear center. You can also see sketches and notes I made while designing the thing. I made it up as I went along.

When I'm done I turn off the vac, flip down the window, and let the item cure...no dust!

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 02-25-2008 at 10:29 PM.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:31 PM   #17
Say hello to my dactylion

Very nice JIA... I like the dust free flap. Here is another I found. I'm thinking about making one. This one could use some changes to it but it will give you a basic guide on how to build a spray station.

Part 1:http://www.airbrush.com/how-to-guide...oDetail&id=163

Part 2:http://www.airbrush.com/how-to-guide...oDetail&id=164

Part 3:http://www.airbrush.com/how-to-guide...oDetail&id=165

-PF
PinchFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:33 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Now thats a spray booth!!!

BTW... shop vacs are not explosion / ignition proof either. Ever see that mythbusters episode?

Mr_Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:34 PM   #19
06 Super National Champ

Pinchflat, I still need to put white walls inside mine.

I was just going to use white posterboard and left-over lexan (bought a big sheet) for the walls.

Then I could wipe down the lexan with cleaner and never worry about how to keep the walls clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Freeze View Post
Now thats a spray booth!!!

BTW... shop vacs are not explosion / ignition proof either. Ever see that mythbusters episode?
The propellant is the only thing you'd need to worry about. I'm using an air compressor so there's no worry there.

I've also used enamels (rattle cans) in this booth. While the filter does catch the paint particles, it doesn't catch the propellant gases.

When spraying with rattle cans though, the Shop-Vac is pulling in such a large volume of "clean" air in relation to the amount of propellant that's coming out of the rattle can that's it's a non-issue.

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 02-25-2008 at 10:37 PM.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:50 PM   #20
RCC Addict

JIA & Pitch both of those are great set ups. I think I'm going to use some of each to make mine. Now I need to go to our paint shop to steal all the parts I need.
drumbeater is offline   Reply With Quote