Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Ruined a good one.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Ruined a good one.

I don't have pics, sorry. But I need a lil help. I painted my Grappler to perfection (for me) and then realized that I pulled the mask off of the front window as well when I did my stripes. So I have an awesome paint job and two bars down the front window. I don't want to strip the body but I don't want the bars there either. Is there anything you all recommend to get the bars off of the window or is it pretty much shot?

Thanks in advance.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2008, 10:58 AM   #2
Official Cook of the ECC

I have been able to gently scratch off the offending paint on mine before.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:11 AM   #3
tjb
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc J33P View Post
I don't have pics, sorry. But I need a lil help. I painted my Grappler to perfection (for me) and then realized that I pulled the mask off of the front window as well when I did my stripes. So I have an awesome paint job and two bars down the front window. I don't want to strip the body but I don't want the bars there either. Is there anything you all recommend to get the bars off of the window or is it pretty much shot?

Thanks in advance.

I see 2 options;

1- run it, it's only pretty until you rake the first rock on it...

2- make some windows out of silver trim sheeting.....
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:41 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

localized use of brake fluid. Put some on a pad of fabric, have the treated surface perfectly horizontal. let overnight. avoid drips and drools at all costs...
Coligny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Q-tips and 70% rubbing alcohol.

DO NOT use paint thinner, it will dull the lexan and look like crap. Trust me, this works. I don't carefully trim paint masks. I slop them around and get the general area covered, then reach for the airbrush. Once the tape is removed, I use the alcohol and scrub away unwanted paint.
Browncoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:18 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browncoat View Post

DO NOT use paint thinner, it will dull the lexan and look like crap. Trust me, this works. I don't carefully trim paint masks. I slop them around and get the general area covered, then reach for the airbrush. Once the tape is removed, I use the alcohol and scrub away unwanted paint.
Cool, that will work with Faskoat I am assuming? I know it will get all junked on the rocks, but hey, the first time out it should look good.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:32 PM   #7
PapaGriz Yo

Many times with Parma Faskoat if you let it set up for a bit you can scratch it off with you fingernail. I had a body that was painted and I scratched the paint off to make the headlights clear, I'm pretty sure it was Faskoat.

The rubbing alcohol should work too though.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:55 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc J33P View Post
Cool, that will work with Faskoat I am assuming? I know it will get all junked on the rocks, but hey, the first time out it should look good.
Yep, that's what I always use, so I know it works. Check out my XC-1 thread. The black fenders were painted first. I cleaned up the overspray with a Q-tip as described, and then painted the silver. It has nice, clean edges.
Browncoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:20 PM   #9
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browncoat View Post

This is what I was going to suggest as well. Otherwise fingernail polish remover and a q-tip will work as well. Any of the harder to get off spots, scratching it with a toothpick will also work and wont leave scratches.
Knoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:05 PM   #10
RCC Addict

cut out the front window
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:27 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoc View Post
This is what I was going to suggest as well. Otherwise fingernail polish remover and a q-tip will work as well. Any of the harder to get off spots, scratching it with a toothpick will also work and wont leave scratches.
most fingernail polish is just acetone based you dont want to try acetone to remove paint from lexan it will cloud up and look horrible as it reacts with the lexan and etches into it
bunyip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:40 PM   #12
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
most fingernail polish is just acetone based you dont want to try acetone to remove paint from lexan it will cloud up and look horrible as it reacts with the lexan and etches into it
Ive never had any problems with it. I wouldnt go and pour it on a body but on a QT it works good. I havnt gotten any clouding or anything.
Knoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:14 AM   #13
Like a boss...

Another alternative would be if LHS carries Monokote Trim Sheets, they are peel and stick. You could get black or silver or whatever you like and cut out decals to cover the entire window on the exterior.

Not perfect but sometimes you see things similar on RTR's where the "paint" is part of the plastic.

Maybe save that if the paint does come off clean enough for you.
mann0mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:26 AM   #14
RCC Addict

You can buff off the paint and polish the window at the same time using a Dremel with a polishing wheel and polishing compound. It may take a while because the polishing abrasive is extra fine but you'll get there eventually.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:43 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Rubbing alcohol worked flawlesly! Thank you all for the advice. I think I am going to have to post it up today and show you all.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:49 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Just use Brake Cleaner on a body I changed my mind on. Thanks for the tip...the paint just peeled off like liquid paint mask.
MrNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:37 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Do not use breakkleen it will dull the plastic and eat up a layer it will also speed up cracking.
life_livin is offline   Reply With Quote