Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: flat lexan paint??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2008, 09:38 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Post flat lexan paint??

so i have researched about lexan paints on here...and i have seen a few rigs that are now running a flat paint scheme. how? i cant find lexan paint in flat colors other than primer anywhere... i know in order to keep the flat look ill need to paint on the outside of the shell, but will a rattle can at least stick to the outside?? any info is appreciated
drilldeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drilldeep View Post
so i have researched about lexan paints on here...and i have seen a few rigs that are now running a flat paint scheme. how? i cant find lexan paint in flat colors other than primer anywhere... i know in order to keep the flat look ill need to paint on the outside of the shell, but will a rattle can at least stick to the outside?? any info is appreciated
well its still lexan on the outside so there shouldnt be an issue w/ the paint sticking to it.

another thing you can try is to try to scuff the outside of the body evenly to get rid of the gloss
you can also try to coat the outside of the body w/ a flat fixative (*usually found in office supply and art supply stores)

then paint the inside as you normally would
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:56 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

im looking for a clean flat finish....not a scratched up piece. will rattle can paint stick to the lexan? i have been told no at my lhs but i can not find flat lexan paint
drilldeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:20 PM   #4
RCC Addict

OK first all Fascolor lexan paint is semi-flat. As one of the above posts say, the lexan acts like a clear coat. Two, if you want flat black but don't want to paint it on the outside then use the Scotchbrite pad and scuff the area you want to be flat and polish it with a fine polish to even out the scuffing. Practice first on some scrap lexan. Then paint it underneath and it will look flat.

Kyrlon fusion does not adhere well to lexan.

Last edited by AreCee; 07-29-2008 at 11:34 PM.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:22 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Heres a tip I got from Drumbeater. Klean-Coat makes a adhesion promoter called Bulldog. You prime the body with the windows masked with Bulldog and let it dry over nite and you can use any auto finish or Krylon paint you want and it wont chip off. It's available on line search Klean-Coat Bulldog and I heard Wal-Mart sells it to. Besides plastics It also works on metals rubber and glass. Go for it
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:52 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Ive done the pactra black on the inside and sanding on the outside with fairly decent results.
There are numerous grits of sand paper out there.So I found I could do a satin look as well as flat.
The satin look didnt come out too bad as long as you do even/long strokes.

I dont recall off the top of my head what grit I used for the flat look but it came out a nice flat ass dull look.
I think it was 200 dry sand paper or 320 wet/dry paper that I used. Heck it might have been both + 400 grit to get the look and smooth finish.

I always painted the color first and then sanded the body so I knew how far I needed to go. Its always better to look at it with a color backed on the body then clear and facing it toward the light to see what your working with.
Try it out on scrap as it was mentioned above and see how you like it.
spiderxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:03 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I have 2 bodies that I painted on the outside with standard bomb can flat black and the paint is holding up real well on both.

The key is to sand the outside real good before you paint it. I used some 600 grit paper on mine.

One of them (my Betty body) I followed a turoial that I found somewhere (maybe even here). I used a heat gun and a screwdriver handle to make a few dents then I painted the body on the under side with a rust color (I mixed a little blue with orange).
Then I painted the outside white first then flat black. After everything dried I took a wire wheel on my dremel and scratched the paint off on spots. It looks very realistic, you get a slight feathered edge of the white then the rust color underneath shows through to give at a look like it would if it were real.
Any sctaches that you get in it from roll overs just add more charachter to it.

The other one was just an old body that had seen better days but was still in good shape structurally.
I sanded the outside to get rid of most of the scratches and to give the paint something to stick to then sprayed it flat black. It really turned out pretty good. I have been running it for a while now and it's been on it's lid a few times but still looks good in my opinion.

gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
~THE SCALE SHOP~

theres two ways to do this.
1. mist on the lexan paint color of your choice on the outside, misting is the key.

2. paint the outside of the body with black lexan paint. then paint over that with normal flat rattle can paint of the color of your choice. the lexan paint provides the proper bond, the flat paint provides a true flat finish in almost unlimited color selection.

dont forget your window masks on the outside.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:07 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

He is one I did using Krylon Fusion flat black.After it dried I used "000" steel wool to give it a "flatter' look.Its holding up well so far.
72Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:06 AM   #10
Sinking with the ship

You know who the internet tough guy is? ME, next person (IE Knoc, drilldeep)to flame, threaten, go around the language filter gets a week vacation....
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote