Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Aluminum panel forming how-to

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #21
RCC Addict

When i don't have something to mold from (A hard body for example) I use modeling clay to make the shape i want then make a mold out of silicone and pour resin to replicate the part i made. The resin is more than hard enough to form over and you can make as many as you want.

Look at post #416 here: Project true scale - Aluminum Toyota body!

Hope that helps.
Metal Masher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Masher View Post
When i don't have something to mold from (A hard body for example) I use modeling clay to make the shape i want then make a mold out of silicone and pour resin to replicate the part i made. The resin is more than hard enough to form over and you can make as many as you want.

Look at post #416 here: Project true scale - Aluminum Toyota body!

Hope that helps.
hey thanks man that helps me out alot!! i should have paid more attention to that thread because i've read it so many times haha. did you bake the clay after you made the shape??

the body panels im trying to make are pretty simple, here's style of truck im attempting to make.http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthrea...=855113&page=3... look at post#66 on page 3.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX10wannabe View Post
hey thanks man that helps me out alot!! i should have paid more attention to that thread because i've read it so many times haha. did you bake the clay after you made the shape??

the body panels im trying to make are pretty simple, here's style of truck im attempting to make.http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthrea...=855113&page=3... look at post#66 on page 3.
I don't harden the clay at all. I use the clay just to get the shape. once i have that i make a box around the clay form then pour latex rubber over the clay to make a mold. then i pour resin in the latex mold to create a copy of the clay part i made.

The process is a little extensive but it yields the best results in my opinion.

Now the process you mentioned about making wood molds and skimming them in bondo would work. I've done it before but they wear out over time. on the other hand they are easily fixable.

Last edited by Metal Masher; 03-03-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:44 PM   #24
Jer
Rock Crawler

Thanks for taking the time and sharing your knowledge. I guess you could make a stronger panel if you used a negative mold of the part you want, using your process on one sheet, and then applying a second sheet of aluminum to create a double layered panel for strength. But then again, the fender you show in your clips would be pretty tough to make like that, guess it would work on stuff you don't want to get messed up on the rocks only.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Masher View Post
I don't harden the clay at all. I use the clay just to get the shape. once i have that i make a box around the clay form then pour latex rubber over the clay to make a mold. then i pour resin in the latex mold to create a copy of the clay part i made.

The process is a little extensive but it yields the best results in my opinion.

Now the process you mentioned about making wood molds and skimming them in bondo would work. I've done it before but they wear out over time. on the other hand they are easily fixable.
nice that helps me out even more!! i got to thinking about molds again... i was searching on google and got an idea, was to sculpt your panel (mold) out of clay close to the shape you want it then bake it to harden it then sand it down to the exact shape you want it then skim a coat of bondo over it and smooth it out. one website said that bondo was used as a "filler" so i assume it sticks to clay... i have plenty experience with bondo so thats not a problem..

i might give the clay and bondo a try and see since they are fairly cheap. might carve myself a mold out of wood to and see which mold i like better.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:13 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

I think im going to try this.
Dillpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:34 PM   #27
RCC Addict

found me some modeling clay today so gonna start making some panels soon.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Cool! keep us posted.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:39 AM   #29
RCC Addict

sure will!
Old 02-10-2014, 07:37 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Aluminum panel forming how-to

MM was an inspiration for my project as well. As I love the carnage bodies.
Spider Cuztomz TJ Crawler 2.2

I opted out for the cheaper cookie pan sheets at walmart since its only getting ripped up anyway.
I do the technic a longer way as I usually dont have the funds for the resin liquid to make the molds. Basic caveman way. Plan lay out, draw and the form it. It comes out close.
The material MM uses forms better, and doesnt dent as quick from what Ive seen.
Its always great to see his builds and get to talk with him. Nice to see the help vids too MM. I was still waiting for a response back thru pm since '12.
spiderxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:19 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderxx View Post
MM was an inspiration for my project as well. As I love the carnage bodies.
Spider Cuztomz TJ Crawler 2.2

I opted out for the cheaper cookie pan sheets at walmart since its only getting ripped up anyway.
I do the technic a longer way as I usually dont have the funds for the resin liquid to make the molds. Basic caveman way. Plan lay out, draw and the form it. It comes out close.
The material MM uses forms better, and doesnt dent as quick from what Ive seen.
Its always great to see his builds and get to talk with him. Nice to see the help vids too MM. I was still waiting for a response back thru pm since '12.
I remember that build. did you ever finish it? I apologize if i did not respond to your PM. i get so many that sometimes i forget who i did and didn't reply to. if you have any questions feel free to shoot me another PM and i promise i'll reply to it
Old 04-29-2014, 04:44 PM   #32

Thank you so much for showing all of us how you do this. I have since started the molding process you did for the class 1 scout. I have plans to make a 406 Unimog cab and a short wheel base suzuki samurai. I will post pictures when I can get back into my photobucket lol

Cheers
toykilla5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:00 PM   #33

This is where I'm at today. More soon I hope.
toykilla5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:54 PM   #34
RCC Addict

looks great so far! glad i could help!
Old 07-28-2014, 04:50 AM   #35
Pebble Pounder

Love the craftsmanship that goes into these projects!

I didn't happen to see anything mentioned before about making bondo molds directly from lexan bodies...I'm curious as to if I would need some sort of "releasing agent" so I could keep the lexan for future molds?

I'm planning an XJ Cherokee build with these techniques.

IS IT AUGUST YET???
Go4Broke is offline   Reply With Quote