Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Body forming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2005, 09:02 AM   #61
Rock Stacker

that yota is looking rediculously sweet! My 1:1 is a 89 extended cab.. and waiting for a 3rd member so i can put my axle in for the SAS swap. Most of the hardwork is done! I need to go wheelin!!
Turboduck01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2005, 10:06 AM   #62
RCC Addict

Only thing I'm not diggin' is the grille. Are you going to change that? It doesnt look like the classic Toyota grille from the pics.
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:11 AM   #63
Colt Python/SR9c

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamF
Only thing I'm not diggin' is the grille. Are you going to change that? It doesnt look like the classic Toyota grille from the pics.
so you wouldn't buy one due to the grill not being exact?
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:51 AM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamF
I would not make the grille an exact repro if he plans on selling them; licensing and such.
I hope this works out well, heck it would inspire me to try it out
slugzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 01:38 PM   #65
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations
so you wouldn't buy one due to the grill not being exact?

Who the hell ever said I wouldnt buy one because of this? It was just constructive critisism.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:42 PM   #66
Colt Python/SR9c

well in your post, it sounded as if you was saying it looked like **** and you didn't like it
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:23 PM   #67
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations
well in your post, it sounded as if you was saying it looked like **** and you didn't like it

Sheesh...you are the KING of post mis-reading. I swear.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:32 PM   #68
Rock Crawler

About the grill.. I just threw up a "billit grill look"... Not sure how I am going to finish that off.. I know what the look like, as I have had a 85 (parents did) since 85... and I own one as well. Its the one I took a pic of the wood core on the hood.. Also I have done this to this point without a picture or anything.. all by memory.. I couldnt do that with any other truck, but the yota..

I am getting close. I am also working with my boss on a list of all the parts we need for the forming.. and there is still some time needed for the design of the forming machine.. but all in all its taken a lot less time to this point than I thought.. It still not as smooth as I want it and that may be taken car of on the next mold created from this.. I am unsure.. then I am still up in the air as to how to do the grill.. To do the stock one would be difficult.. but I DO want anybody to know without question what the body is.. So I may take the time and at least try..

Thanks for the kind words and encouragment...!~
skipstr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:01 PM   #69
TEAM MODERATOR

This is really cool,they are turning out real nice so far. I'm gonna keep watching this thread. So far I believe I could do it also. If you could go into detail about the forming and all I'd really appreciate it. I may try it myself,it'd make a good project for those days it's colder than a witch's titty and just feel like sittin around keepin warm in the house.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:03 PM   #70

Another good body to build would be a jeep XJ. I'm sure they'd sell like crazy.....
onebadtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:34 PM   #71
Pebble Pounder

Looking sweet... I want a '92-'96 Bronco body. I loooooove broncos!
chambiec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:01 PM   #72
RCC Addict

Make that an '80-'86 and it should be cool. or a '48 '49 willys pick up.
But seriously that’s some awesome work you guys have done. I wish I was that skilled.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:19 PM   #73
Quarry Creeper

how are you guys smoothing the clay? and how exacty dose the process go? im guessing you dont make the final body off clay? do you make a female mold and then a nother male? sorry if im asking to many questions but i think it would be really cool to try. thanks
shortbusjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:26 PM   #74
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbusjeep
how are you guys smoothing the clay? and how exacty dose the process go? im guessing you dont make the final body off clay? do you make a female mold and then a nother male? sorry if im asking to many questions but i think it would be really cool to try. thanks

I found a new trick tonight.. Out of my 3.99 starter kit came this thin sheet of springsteel (maybe).. Its different shapes and when you run it along the body with presure, its gets the smoothest I have got. Took along time to get the roof comepletly smooth, and the rest I am still working on. This trick only works with the smothest you can do with your fingers rubbing across it.. U have no quick tecnique and there may not be one..
Old 12-12-2005, 11:48 PM   #75
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipstr71
I found a new trick tonight.. Out of my 3.99 starter kit came this thin sheet of springsteel (maybe).. Its different shapes and when you run it along the body with presure, its gets the smoothest I have got. Took along time to get the roof comepletly smooth, and the rest I am still working on. This trick only works with the smothest you can do with your fingers rubbing across it.. U have no quick tecnique and there may not be one..
Wow Guys great stuff! Great Work!

Is there anyway you could just get it close, Dry it out, then sand it smooth? The bodys are looking great though! I'd buy'em as is

P.S.

Please make a huge"First Gen Yota" that would fit a "Super Unlimited" so I can make it a "Giant Scale Crawler"
JakeTheAlligatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:53 PM   #76
Rock Crawler

In your kit did you get a small rubber spatula type smoother? I bought all my pieces separately and this is one of the things the guy at the art place suggested. Here is a pic of everything I am using, if you have anything I don't that might be helpful, let me know.
Attached Images

Last edited by thaclodking; 12-12-2005 at 11:56 PM.
thaclodking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:34 AM   #77
Rock Crawler

Looks pretty dam good bud..! I am getting closer, and hope to start the laytexing by the weekend..

These are the tools I have got in my kit.. They are super cheap and I should stop in there and pic up some nicer tools.. I could use some more shapes and really another flat sheet thingy.. That ome does the best so far..

I found that I use my figers a lot.. but thats because I have a lot of curves.. Fingers do nothing on the flat areas.. bed, hood, ect.. and you have a lot of flats..
Old 12-13-2005, 08:35 AM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Awesome work Clodking, and Skip!!! Have I said how glad I was that I started this thread! Somebody said dry it out and sand it smooth, but it looks like even after several days the clay still looks fairly moist, am I right? Some clay will never dry it just depend on what is in it. Again I can't believe the progress you've made in just a couple of days keep it up and when my uncle and I do the Jeepster bod you will be the first to see it!!
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:38 AM   #79
Rock Crawler

Yea this stuff doesnt dry out.. Its oilbased.. To get a mold off this you use a latex material and brush it on.. It takes many many layers and you back up the latex with a plaster type material called Hydrocal.. Then your actuall male mold you will make off the plaster mold is mde of the hydrocal.. I'm pretty sure thats what I read to do...

Tap plastcis has a web site that has some good tips in this area..
Old 12-13-2005, 08:47 AM   #80
I wanna be Dave

You got P.M. I thought so on the clay. I know it pottery class even if you covered it and sprayed it over the weekend it would dry out a bunch!
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote