Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: *Newbie help*

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2009, 01:05 AM   #1

Default *Newbie help*

I was given this as a gift. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDEF4&P=ML It's the Testor Aztek Ultimate air brush kit w/ compressor. I have used an airbrush in the past but this was way back when I used to build model planes. So frankly I am a total noob when it comes to airbrushing but have read bad reviews for Testor products. Is this kit any good? If the air brush sucks is the compressor any good?

-Thanks for any help
Casper06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper06 View Post
I was given this as a gift. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDEF4&P=ML It's the Testor Aztek Ultimate air brush kit w/ compressor. I have used an airbrush in the past but this was way back when I used to build model planes. So frankly I am a total noob when it comes to airbrushing but have read bad reviews for Testor products. Is this kit any good? If the air brush sucks is the compressor any good?

-Thanks for any help
It will be ok to start out with..As you get better with airbrushing,you will start to see the limitations of Testor products.
Jeepial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

honestly if it were me (ive been painting for a long time) i wouldnt even use it. i would return it or sell it on ebay and get a good brush with out interchangable tips (its a scam dont fall for it) i've never used one but a few people recomend a paashe VL you can get one for around 50-60 bucks for a little more you can step up to an iwata revolution seiries for 80-90 or even better the eclipse line hp-cs, this is the brush i recomend to everyone b/c it can do just about everything! it will spray thick and thin paint.. hold up well... parts are redaly availible and not too expensive, it holds up to any chemical you throw in it (urethanes and other automtive paints and laquer thinners)

you'll want a gravity feed to start out with if your doing r/c bodys, b/c one cup will do one full color pass on a whole r/c body.

if you have used the testors already and feel like keeping it.. id recomend stocking up on those tips most are plastic and will wear out really fast, they are nearly impossible to clean b/c you have to dissasemble the tip and to do that you have to pop it apart and most of the time they wont go back together.... you will spend the cost of an iwata in tips alone if you want to maintain that brush.

sorry for the bad news... i never touched my azteck after i picked up an iwata it would have more dust on it if i didnt loose it in a box somewear
extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:02 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice I'll look into selling the brush on Ebay. Your statements are pretty much what I have read on other boards. I was wondering if the compressor was any good though? If I could pair it with the eclipse line hp-cs or Iwata I would be able to save some money. Or should I sell the whole thing and just start from scratch?
Old 10-29-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

compressors are a hit or miss... if you plan to just see how far you can take this.... then get one with a moisture trap and a regulator and about 50-60 psi is best... this should be enough to spray most paints. if your aztek supplied compressor has these fetures i would use it and see how far you get i think i had one with out a water trap and it put out 30-35 psi unregulator and was a pain in the butt for learning

i spent too much on an iwata compressor but the thing has worked well for a good 4-5 years now... but has developed a nock i havnt identified but still work fine!! it does need a really good cleaning though!! airfulters are clogged as well as moisture traps are moldy! haha that should tell you the abuse it has seen... overall though i dont think i waisted the money considering the use i've gotten out of it! nice thing with iwata if i have problems usually they will warrenty it and or help fix the problem at a resonable cost

silentaire is also a good compressor
if you check airbrush action they should have a buyers guide for compressors listed on there if not i'll try to find an old issue with the guide in it.

also check out CO2 and nitrogen setups. nitrogen is a cleaner air with less chance of freezing up but co2 is cheaper... if you are a 4 wheeler this will serve two purposes but you'll refill often! haha

and please for the love of god! dont waist your money on those cans of air!!! after 3-4 bodys your money is better spend on any compressor! haha
Old 10-29-2009, 10:50 PM   #6

Thank you Extreme for all your advice and help!

I will have to check the specs hopefully they meet those requirements.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:42 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

The Aztek airbrush is OK for some jobs. I use one for spraying primer on plastic kits. Sometimes it's good to have more than one airbrush, so I keep the Aztek alongside my Iwata and Badger 360.

I used a similar compressor for many years before I spent top dollar on a proper airbrush compressor with trap and regulator. They work, but a decent compressor makes airbrushing much easier, not to say much quieter.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:46 AM   #8

After reading the specs I am just going to sell the kit off. The compressor only sprays 35psi max. What do you guys think of this setup:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNBB4&P=0

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVDD8&P=0
Old 10-30-2009, 05:05 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

i cant coment on the talon airbrush but the compressor looks like it meets the specs

the talon look like a versin of the grex airbrush... that is a great brush. the tip size is good for spraying faskolor and other thicker paints so you should be able to have some success

the only thing tho is i have never heard of one, heard anything about it and never used it so its hard to give an opinion based on more than the specs listed, and to counter point the purchase an iwata eclipse is should only be a few bucks more and is a proven and reliable brush with a "quality" feel!

the compressor looks like a good deal but remember to check their warrenty ( i forget how to spell due to whiskey exposure) haha!

check these other websites for there products as well

bearair
coast airbrush
dixie art

id personally recomend coast airbrush they are the backers of the airbrush getaway and are also in conjuction with airbrush action.. they know their stuff and know what to recomend and i've never been disapointed in what they offer there prices or customer service.

check them out give em a ring and see what they have to offer... if your serious about getting good at this and even mayb, possibly one day, making some money off it id give them a call
Old 10-30-2009, 06:43 PM   #10

I think I lucked out or the Gods are in my favor. I have a buddy who owns a car shop and one of his workers who does custom paint work has an unused Paasche VLSTPRO for sale. He is gonna let it go for $60 I looked online and that is a really good price. He said it would be a great starter to learn on. I'm pretty stoked!

I guess if I find I need something better down the line I'll look into your recommendations. Time to join you Extreme and have some Jack on the rocks.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:59 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

sounds good u should be pretty happy with that! then once you feel the need for more control and finer details i would look at smaller needles and or the iwata brand if you get the chance try one out!