Old 01-02-2006, 12:58 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Hey thanks man great post.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2006, 10:12 AM   #22
06 Super National Champ

I always do trimming first.

I usually do this to ensure body post holes are in line with one another, but crawlers can be especially tricky.

With crawlers you have to worry about tire clearance as well as proper body mounting.

I cut out the stock body, line the body up, mark the post hole locations with a sharpie, then ream the post holes, mount the body, and cycle the suspension to see what clears and what doesn't.

Mounting/trimming the body is MUCH easier if you do it prior to painting.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:16 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Trimming first also saves you paint.

Last edited by ILoveRCRockCrawlin; 01-02-2006 at 10:16 AM. Reason: puntuation!
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 03:23 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

wouldnt be you if you didnt make that comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveRCRockCrawlin
Trimming first also saves you paint.
Frakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:13 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

OK last question I got. How many cans does it take to paint a 1/10 Jeep body? I know it all matters how many layers you put on. I'm painting it just like my 1:1. With torn scallops on the front that fade from yellow, orange, red and the main color will be silver. With a red rollcage and black windows. Do I just need one can of each? I know stupid question, but I making an order and I don't want to over order or not order enough and have to wait. How many coats are normally sprayed?OK Now I done asking my questions. I swear I won't ask anymore.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:01 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

One can of each is plenty. Be sure to use a lacquer- based paint, as enamels won't stick to Lexan. Lacquers will stink up your house worse than ILRCRC's crack pipe so paint outside. If you have an airbrush, Parma Faskolor or Createx acrylics work well, but they take a while to dry. You can also shoot lacquer out of an airbrush, but mind the fumes.

Lacquer weighs less than acrylic, if that's a factor.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:41 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys. I think just about COVERS IT. LOL, Get it "Covers it". Ha Ha Ha. Ok that was dumb.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:51 PM   #28

The only trimming I do before painting is to ream the body post hole
I use parma fastcolour and a Badger Cresendo air brush. you can use spray cans the basics are the same
I prefer to use liquid mask you get cleaner lines than with tape. shoot the body with the liquid mask or use one of those cheap foam brushes from the craft store then draw out your design on the outside of the body then using a new blade in a exacto knife lightly trace your desingn removing the mask for your first colour ( always spray darker colours first) Shoot a light coat then use a hair dryer to dry it ( you can tell when its dry it will go from shiny wet look to a dull dry look.. duh ) before applying the next coat
If you want to make the lighter coloured parts stand out lay down a fine shadow line about 1/8 to 1/4 inch wide along the edge before laying down the main colour this will give the appearance that the lighter section is floating above the darker section

always back up flouro colours with either whie or silver this will make them realy pop!

Prolines web site also has handy painting tips
hope this helps
good luck
Rock_Bunyip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #29

I dont live near a hobby shop and found shipping on the paint is ridiculous. Some friends told me to use dupli color fabric and vinyl paint from orielly auto parts. It seems to be holding up good. Just thought id let others not near a hobby shop know
pebblecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #30
Proverbial threadkiller

Haven't painted a body in years, but I just painted my first body with an airbrush today. I have SOOOOO much more respect and admiration for those of you who have mastered the art. And my design wasn't even remotely technical, no shading, no flames, no bustouts or peelbacks. Just masked off some lines, painted the body white, peeled back some tape sprayed the red stripes, more tape off paint blue lines, more tape off blackout windows, all tape off Faschrome borders around lines and windows, back entire thing in Faswhite. For a beginner, it didn't turn out too horribly.

But, Yeah, to those guys who posted the pics above, my hat's off to you, Man! Lottsa work involved in getting those results, I know that now.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote