Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Any paint geeks out there?? Rustoleum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Any paint geeks out there?? Rustoleum

So i've given up airbrushing comp bodies as I try and I try I just don't have the skill and paitence to make them real nice, plus I ruin them pretty quickly. Since RC paint for lexan is pretty expensive, does anyone know what the base for Rust-oleum spray paint for plastics is, or more to the point will my one color wonder (mabey 2) done in rustoleum plastic specialty paint hold up like stuff made for lexan?? The color choicer aren't great but I'm okay with black and white. The can says clean up with mineral spirits or xythol-I don't know if this helps. Thanks!
picklewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Maybe Krylon Fusion for plastic. Make sure you spray in layers or it will drip.
EvoKin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Pactra in the spray can?
KevMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoKin View Post
Maybe Krylon Fusion for plastic. Make sure you spray in layers or it will drip.
That stuff will look awesome till you thump it lol.. It will flake right off.
ib99rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #5

krylon fusion is a very good paint for plastics,durable plus it fuses with the plastic,so its kind of rough to remove,my first car (rc) i used the stuff,worked great
NWRokkRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I Paint alot of bodies for myself and friends. I come from a family that has 2 body shops and 1 custom painter. We have a lot of extra paint, mostly Dupont products and House of Kolor. I experimented with all kinds of paints and i keep coming back to the automotive grade paints.

I sandblast the inside with a spot blaster, wash it, then spray it with a airbrush. I never had a problem using those paints as long as the body is either scuffed up or sand blasted. I leave it kinda thin so its a little transparent if held up in the light, That way it will not crack or flake off.
chris4207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRokkRat View Post
krylon fusion is a very good paint for plastics,durable plus it fuses with the plastic,so its kind of rough to remove,my first car (rc) i used the stuff,worked great
I just did my B-17 Body with the Krylon for plastic and my kid dumped from the top of the stairs and it's still in good shape. Nothing flaked off.
Kanine38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:48 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Hmm, I used that fusion paint on my first on road car body. It looked good, but it flaked off after one good hit. I ended up hitting the body till all of it came off, then repainted. That was like 8 years ago or so, so maybe they changed the formula? But the best paint tp use that is cheap is Duplicolor auto paint. Think it says truck and van on the can. Auto part stores carry a full size can for 5 to 6 dollars. It last very long, even outlast the front bumper on an onroad car, since the lexan will crack from all the rocks b4 the paint will chip
ib99rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:36 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

One thing to remember, The thicker the paint the less flexible it is. Meaning if you bend the body if will fall of in big chunks. Most rattle cans spray very thick.

Paints also do not like to stick to any thing smooth or shiny. Your best bet would be to use scotch bright or some fine sand paper run over it at least once to give the paint something to hold on to.

Always wash the body before you paint it. If there are any oils, chemicals or even dust from you or the body itself the paint will fall off.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:54 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Don't take this the wrong way, but why would you bother with Krylon or other paint when a spray can of Pactra is the same price, and is made for lexan bodies. The stuff works and will not flake off.
KevMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:52 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevMc View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but why would you bother with Krylon or other paint when a spray can of Pactra is the same price, and is made for lexan bodies. The stuff works and will not flake off.
Just the price. Rc paint is a tiny can for 6 bucks 100 ml. 6 bucks will get you a full size can at the hardware store.
So no one uses the rustoleum for plastics? I'll report back in a few days with my 1 color wonder
picklewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:18 AM   #12

Default question

ok should I use a scotch-brite or fine grit sandpaper on the inside of my body even if I am going to paint it using the Pactra paint?
the dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:06 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

If you like the Duplicolor auto colors you precoat with a adhesion promoter like Klean-Strips "Bulldog" they will not chip off. Bulldog is a clear material but mask the windows first.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude View Post
ok should I use a scotch-brite or fine grit sandpaper on the inside of my body even if I am going to paint it using the Pactra paint?
Light sanding helps any paint stick better. Its better to be safe than sorry.

Scotch-brite is easier, It conforms to the lines of the body better. If all you have is sand paper it works to.