Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Looking for a van

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Looking for a van

Way back when I was just a little bitty boy living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement of the house half a block from the corner of Jerry's Bait Shop, I had an r/c van. It wasn't a kit or anything crazy, just an out of the box type deal from toys 'r us or something. But I haven't really ever seen any vans on a crawler, mostly just trucks and vw bugs. I feel like I've seen one before on a non-crawler, though. Anyone know if there's one out there? I'm looking for something along the lines of this:

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Rob C; 02-16-2010 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Wierd Al waz here
Rob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

parma makes that body in lexan ..same name lunch box..i know my local shop has one so i assume they,re still in production..its a short wheelbase though
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I have an OG hard plastic lunch box body collecting dust.

Last edited by Aaronb; 02-14-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Aaronb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

is the lunch box model 1/10th? I just grabbed that picture off google images, because I'm not sure what make/model it's modeled from.

Aaron - Are you trying to sell that shell?
Old 02-15-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob C View Post
is the lunch box model 1/10th? I just grabbed that picture off google images, because I'm not sure what make/model it's modeled from.

Aaron - Are you trying to sell that shell?
That's a Tamiya lunchbox. It was an old school rc kit that they recently re-released. You can buy a new one at most rc retailers.

Its only around 1/12th scale though. Pretty small if your wanting to fit 1/10th scale axles under it.
Sephis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Default Toyota Van?

Can't seem to find the manufacturer, but they make the latest shape Toyota Hiace van body, I think it's 1:10 made in Lexan.

Here's the body on a rc drift van http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlKCmUPjgQs at the end of the vid it says body is ABC Hobbies.

Last edited by Blackvelvet; 02-15-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Blackvelvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:10 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephis View Post
That's a Tamiya lunchbox. It was an old school rc kit that they recently re-released. You can buy a new one at most rc retailers.

Its only around 1/12th scale though. Pretty small if your wanting to fit 1/10th scale axles under it.
The axles i bought were advertised as 1/10th or 1/12th. Does a 1/12th body look really goofy on 1/10th axles?
Old 02-15-2010, 09:12 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

they have an A-Team GMC Van 1:15 scale van on ebay. be a smaller then the lunch box. mrc axles?
itsjust me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
The axles i bought were advertised as 1/10th or 1/12th. Does a 1/12th body look really goofy on 1/10th axles?
Well, if they are say, axial sized axles, they are gonna be huge under that thing. Tower hobbies says that the lunchbox body is only around 5 or 6 inches wide. Any 1/10th scale axle is gonna have to be cut way down to fit under that. If you really want to try though, here's a link to somebody who did just that.

Hairba11's semi-scale Lunchbox build

EDIT: MRC axles might work under the lunch box. They would still be too wide for my taste, but if you want a monster truck look or something they would be OK.

Last edited by Sephis; 02-15-2010 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Me english no gud at.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:11 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Here is a place to buy the hiace if interested. I believe Genki is still a vendor on here also. I used to buy alot from this guys when I used to drift..

http://www.genkidoridori.com/index.p...roducts_id=220

or this http://www.stuckforagift.com/remotec...campervan.html
treday619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
They would still be too wide for my taste, but if you want a monster truck look or something they would be OK.
Is this what you mean by monster truck?

Old 02-16-2010, 11:55 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well, if they are say, axial sized axles, they are gonna be huge under that thing. Tower hobbies says that the lunchbox body is only around 5 or 6 inches wide. Any 1/10th scale axle is gonna have to be cut way down to fit under that. If you really want to try though, here's a link to somebody who did just that.

Hairba11's semi-scale Lunchbox build

EDIT: MRC axles might work under the lunch box. They would still be too wide for my taste, but if you want a monster truck look or something they would be OK.

IIRC you'd have to use MRC axles and shallow offset TC rims to make it look almost "right", I've wondered about Tamiya M-03/4 wheels but haven't tried to mount them up on mine yet to see how well they clear. With those you should be able to get away with a Cut and Shut 1.9 or Mini-T/RC18 off road tire like the Dirt Hawgs from Proline though, maybe even 1/16 Slash wheels and tires
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:03 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Yes, that what I mean by monster truck. The axles would probably be narrower than that, but it really depends on the wheels and tires you run on it. I've never put one under the other, so I can't say for sure. I like the tires to fit inside the wheel wells on the body, but not everybody does. Try it and see if you like it. Worst that can happen is you learn something new
Old 02-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

If you don't mind the monster truck look, you could use tlt-1 axles have a good width.
http://www.radiocontrolzone.com/show...t=86518&page=5
the Mad Modder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up

Quote:

___I've got this very same rig' The lunch-box and it's yellow as well. just sitting on one of my closet shelve's and it's all there and it's complete. If your interested in it,...I'd let it go cheap,...I was going to save it for the ol' lady to mess around with this coming summer maybe. maybe she won't even bother with it thou'
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:44 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash View Post
___I've got this very same rig' The lunch-box and it's yellow as well. just sitting on one of my closet shelve's and it's all there and it's complete. If your interested in it,...I'd let it go cheap,...I was going to save it for the ol' lady to mess around with this coming summer maybe. maybe she won't even bother with it thou'
Any interest in getting rid of just the shell? That's really all i need...but if you gotta get rid of the whole thing, perhaps I could swing it...
Old 02-18-2010, 07:01 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Exclamation Yo'' Rob C - I'm,.... just awking over here G-morning

Rob.C "PM" me brotha' and we can work this out bro,....I could do just the body I reckon'.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:15 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Exclamation

Rob.C Pm' me back again bro' - if ya' want this body.