Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: "paint splatter" style graphic?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default "paint splatter" style graphic?

so i got a new edge chassis for my ax10 recently and among other things, i need help with painting the body panels.

what i want to is a cyan blue base with black and white "paint splatter" style graphics. kinda like this,
http://cloud.graphicleftovers.com/10...t_splatter.jpg

i'm looking for any tips, tricks, or advice that you guys can give a painting newb.
PineapplAssasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
RCC Addict

just start throwin colors at it!
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
RCC Addict

what i found out just messing around was you can use a toothbrush for smaller splatters or even a bigger paint brush to get the bigger splatters. but me and my buddy had some left over paint and just went nuts. we would actually spray heavy coats in one spot and just sling the body all over the place to get the runny look. i have been thinking about doing a body like this and selling it cause it looks really cool. hope this helps bud.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
what i found out just messing around was you can use a toothbrush for smaller splatters or even a bigger paint brush to get the bigger splatters. but me and my buddy had some left over paint and just went nuts. we would actually spray heavy coats in one spot and just sling the body all over the place to get the runny look. i have been thinking about doing a body like this and selling it cause it looks really cool. hope this helps bud.
yea, that definitely helps. after looking closer at the link i posted, i came up with the last idea you listed, nice to know it might actually work the tooth brush and paint brush sound like good ideas too.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

A straw works well too
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

what kind of material do you practice on before you decide what your going to do? i only have one set of body panels and i'd like to get it as close to right as i can on the first try
Old 06-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

There used to be a paint called cobwebs that came out of the can in a splatter pattern. I have two cans of it, but not sure you can get it anymore.
trailduster79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Thats what all my airbrush jobs look like anyway. You mean all this time I was creating art?
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
Gettin’ back on the horse

I have done it a few ways.

For what you want dipping your fingers in the paint and flicking them at the body would probably work best.

I have a thread I started on the subject, using different styles for different effects.
Turtle's Splatterness

I tend to use the less is more philosophy when I do splatter, but there is always artistic differences from person to person.

For practice I have used sheets of clear lexan that you can pick up at most hobby stores. I generally don't test any more though, I like not knowing what the end result will be.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:43 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Oh, something thati forgot to mention, this is going to be my first paint job ever. I don't have any kind of air brush and I don't plan on getting one. I was just going to buy a spray can. This provably limits my options...
Old 06-04-2010, 11:59 PM   #11
Gettin’ back on the horse

I use spray cans 90% of the time and some small bottles of the pactra paints, I have even been know to spray into the the lid of a spray can instead of buying a bottle to have something to dip the fingers in for splatter.

That is the best part about splatter jobs, you don't need years of experience to do a good job at it, just a willingness to experiment.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

so i just had the brilliant idea of putting the axial logo on my cralwer and i want it to be part of the paint job, not just a sticker i put on. so my new question is how do i do block off a sction of the body in the shape of the axial logo? i have some stickers but im pretty sure they're just circles. what do you guys use when you want to mask off a complex shape?

keep in mind i have limited materials

Last edited by PineapplAssasin; 06-09-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I think i have the axial logo in a paint mask. i can check when i get home for you, maybe we can work something out.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:37 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
I think i have the axial logo in a paint mask. i can check when i get home for you, maybe we can work something out.
sweet
Old 06-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #15
RCC Addict

sorry bud, just got back from a long weekend at texas state finals. i will get it out and let you know tomorrw after work.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:47 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Take a Popsicicle stick and spray the end of it with the can and itll bead up and start blowing off to give the splatter look your looking for. You dont spray directly at it but you hold it at an angle and itll work perfect!
nickd18 is offline   Reply With Quote