Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Painting white walls?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Painting white walls?

I want to make some white wall rovers for my rig what paint should I use and what prep work is needed?

Only reason I got is I think it would look neat

Thanks for any help
Mutant_Xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2011, 11:04 PM   #2
RCC Addict

there is no paint that i can think of that will stay on while crawling, its not like lexan, it will flex alot more. your best bet would be to run white beadlock rings. Ot would look cool with some red wheels but it just wont work on a comp rig that will get used.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I have red DNA wheels and I just painted a mostly white bug body with red and black trim. I think it would look realy sharp with a set of white walls.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
Defy Gravity

the only thing to try that might not get rubbed off immediately would be 1:1 tire marking paint, but as jwalker said you're not gonna have much luck with it staying on if you crawl with it. do remember in one of microgoat's thread that he used some styrene glued to the tire for letters, but thinking with a comp tire that wouldn't work at all.

Last edited by ghtpdm5; 02-17-2011 at 11:16 PM. Reason: can't spell
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:08 AM   #5
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Even though it wouldnt be the best for this app because of tire flex & rock rub...1-Shot should work...for awhile. 1-Shot is an oil based enamel that we use to pinstripe on top of a clear coat. Its got a limited amount of flex but the nice thing about an oil based product is it takes a VERY long time to fully cure. Though durable enough to withstand a pressure washer after approximately 72 hours...its still fairly pliable. Any sign shop or automotive paint supply joint should have it. Should run ya between 8 & 13 bucks. That would be my only guess. Good luck.

"HARDKNOCKZ KUSTOM PAINT & PINSTRIPES"
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:40 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Spies hecker automotive paint with the plastic catalyst added to it. A rep came into our shop one day and painted a rubber basketball with it. After 10 minutes in the booth with the driers on, he came out dribbling the basketball and no paint chipped or cracked on the ball. Stuff is pretty amazing.
In this case, I know it would work as far as the flex of the tires, but Im sure it would scratch when scraped on the rocks. I think this would pretty much be your only bet.
Otherwise ya can just buy a paint pen and keep re-adding the white as it scratched off. Would be cheap and easy to fix.
MnRockCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:03 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I've seen regular old white out work rather decently on some trucks before. Gotta keep it thin to prevent cracking/flaking.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I was searching through the interweb after I started this thread and found two possible solutions. The cheaper is the tire marking paint and the more expensive but probably the better is White wall paint for 1:1. I know what ever I choose would need touched up. I have an extra set of 1.9 flat irons that i think I'll use as test subjects. I'm going to try the white out and tire markig paint first. If I don't like the results I'll try some otheer option. The hardest part will probable be trying to source smaller amounts.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:39 AM   #9

In the 1:24 scale plastic model world, enamels don't work well, but most 1:24 tires are that vinyl plastic. White out does work pretty good, it is surprisingly hard to srape off tires, I filled in the letters of some Subaru Brat tires and got a little outside the lines and it didn't want to come off easy.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
FLB
Rock Crawler

I used this white wall spray paint for real tires on my sand scorcher-it has been holding up pretty good. Got it on eBay:
Attached Images

FLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

There is a tire pen used on motocross tires that works good and stays on. it also has a fine tip to out line letters or filling in words on tires that would be your best option and they make lots of colors
flizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #12

Default Re: Painting white walls?

I used some white paint that I picked up from an arts and crafts store to do white lettering on a set of Pro-Line Mashers I had on my Wheely King crawler, the paint has been the tires for almost three years now and I've never had to touch them up.
jeff1986 is offline   Reply With Quote