Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Line-X question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2006, 02:02 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Line-X question

Has anyone used Line-x or rhino lining for a frame?
If so how much weight did it add to it?
I was told they can put a light coat on but wanted to see if anyone else has done it.
Thanks
Jason
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2006, 02:12 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

You might want to grind around the link/shock holes on the chassis. It shouldnt add that much.
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 05:32 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Have used LineX on machines at work, very tuff stuff. Think I have the nubers at work somewhere on how much wieght it added. but if I remember it wasnt a hole lot.

A couple things to remeber about the linex, it will ignight, wont sustain a flame but it will light. and it you get on something you dont want it on its a pain to get it off.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:52 PM   #4

Are you talking about an RC frame, or a full size frame?? I actually did the exterior of my Jeep Cherokee with Herculiner. It didn't add much weight at all....just as much as the gallon of paint weighs. I put about 3 coats on it. The stuff is definatly durable!! It's been on for close to 2 years now, and it's held up great to numerous wheeling trips.

JeepguyNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:21 PM   #5

Never Line-X or Rhino line the inside of a rig. It seems cool at first, till you start cutting it up to fit bigger shoes on it, or increase steering endpoints etc..

Me and my buddy just got done welding in dished front wheel wells, and his whole interior was rhino-lined when he got it, and that rhino lining caught on fire the whole time we were welding. It might have been better using a MIG or something, but real men weld with a torch ... so yeah

Be prepared...

Its a bizzy to remove as well

_bR3T7
clodbrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:45 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I was going to lineX a tuber (r/c) I'm building for another guy on here. He's planning on using it for comps. I just didn't want to add weight that didn't need to be added. If the weight isn't much then I'll do it. I know that it sprays on kinda thick and was told that they can do lighter coats. I guess its worth a try. And it will hold the apperance better, wont get rock rash as easily. I'll probably add a skid that's just metal to keep it from sticking to the rocks.
Thanks for the info.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:41 PM   #7

the line-x is some really tuff stuff,, i have it sprayed on the rockers and fender flares of my 1:1 toyota tacoma to help with rock chips and scratches and stuff when i'm wheeling. it does look good but i would think that it would be a little over kill for an rc crawler,,, if you could get it sprayed on in a lite enough coat i think it would work on some parts. it will get dirty and be hard to keep clean.to clean your aluminum or stainless skids and stuff you can use some 3M scotch brite pads or disc to get rid of any scratches. plus it will polish it back to a nice shiny surface .
taco crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 10:08 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I won't have any aluminum on this tuber.
But I figured if I'm going to paint it. It might as well be put something on it that will stick around for a while and will add strength to as well. I spoke to the people at LineX they said they could spray light coats on it. But if they charge a bunch. Wal Mart Spray paint here I come.
Appreciate the info
Old 04-16-2006, 08:34 AM   #9

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e370/2005tacotoy/ here it is sprayed on my 1:1 i'm not sure what it would cost to have it sprayed on an rc crawler. cost me $310 to have it sprayed on my rockers and fender flares.
taco crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 05:17 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I know a guy who line-x'd his hummer body for an emaxx. It weighs around 2-3lbs but is nearly indestructable.
mOOsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:15 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

why not have the frame powder coated
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote