Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: clod help again..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Exclamation clod help again..

i posted a few weeks ago asking how to get paint off a clod body..

i was told brake fluid..ive been told dot4 works good..well i found some dot 5 from my local harley davidson shop and got some but i dont want to use it and mess up my body..

so heres my ???

will this hurt my body or will this work like a charm like the dot 4 does on the youtube video...

but im not gonna do anything until i get some feedback..so thanks for the help guys..
Kentuckcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I never use any chemicals when stripping ABS/styrene bodies....just good old sandpaper...
HotRodJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:03 PM   #3

I know from trying it that good old easy off oven cleaner work better and faster but anytime you dare put a chemical to a plastic body you stand the chance to wreak it by either melting it or making it extremly brittle so i would have to second the sand paper or scot bright pads are even better. If your really wanting to use a chemical why dont you try on the bottom side of the truck box where no one will ever see imo
canadian scx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

yeah i have some sandpaper and stuff so i might give that a try..

what kinda of paint looks the best on thes hard bodies..can some one give me a link to some good paint...thank
Kentuckcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I have used brake fluid many times to strip paint off of hard bodies,never had a problem.Depending on the amount of paint it may take a few hours or a few days.I use a plastic card to scrapes away the blistered paint.The nice thing is it gets all the paint that is down in the body lines.A stiff brush works well to get in the hard to reach areas.
jhtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

if your using brake fluid you might want to wash it with warm soapy water before painting, no fish eye.
depending how bad it is, i would just sand it off.
i have used the krylon fusion paint with good results.
light coats, and let it dry between coats.
if you don't rush it and do light coats you can see what is going on as the paint dries. less chance of creating a soupy mess.

here's a link to my clod body build.
Crunk Rock

good luck, and let's see some pics !
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:37 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I recently stripped 2 layers of paint from my Toyota cab with yellow can Easy Off. I sprayed it down and let it sit for about 5 minutes, then rinsed it off and dried it.

I repeated this process 5 times and then removed most of what remained with some 280 grit sand paper. I filled a couple spots that needed some love with Squadron Green putty, and then did the final sanding with Model Masters paper, finishing up with 320 grit.

I wouldn't be too concerned with getting every last bit of paint off of your Clod. I still have some of the original color on my cab but through much sanding there are no "hard" lines or edges from the remaining paint that will show through the new coat. I'm also priming it again before I spray the new color.

Like crunk said and as I did, if you use a chemical make sure you wash it very well to remove any residue and then dry it very well before shooting your paint.

Last edited by CreepyCrawl; 03-31-2011 at 07:40 AM.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckcrawlers View Post
what kinda of paint looks the best on thes hard bodies..can some one give me a link to some good paint...thank

Automotive paint....
I use AutoAir and House of Kolor.

http://www.coastairbrush.com/categories.asp?cat=44
http://www.coastairbrush.com/categories.asp?cat=61
HotRodJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:23 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

There's a video floating around of a guy using dot 4 to strip a lexan body. I used some Dot 4 to strip some overspray and it worked very well. I would give the dot 5 a shot, but if it doesn't come off easy, go get some dot 4. Just use a bit, rub it around and let it sit for 15 minutes, then use a paper towel / shop towel and wipe the paint away. Keep spreading the brake fluid around, drain it and add some new when it's too dirty...should take a few hours of off and on work to clear it.

That's IF the clod body is lexan. If it's not, I have nothing to add here.
AgentXTC is offline   Reply With Quote