Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Using Regular Auto Touch up Paint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2011, 02:01 PM   #1

Default Using Regular Auto Touch up Paint

Ive searched around but cant seem to find a thread covering my specific question, although im very new to all this so this might be a stupid question. I understand that the 65 cent Walmart spray paint wont work, but I have Automotive Touch up Paint in a spray can that I use for my 1:1 Jeep Cherokee. I want to get the RC Cherokee body and paint it to match my 1:1 but im not sure if this paint would work on the lexan or not.
Again this is not cheap Walmart paint this is paint that I got online with specifically matched paint code to match my 1:1 for touch up purposes. I paid about $35 for a can so I would imagine its pretty good paint but I was just wondering if anybody has tried anything like this on a lexan rc body

Thanks!
Gavinlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I doubt it. It doesn't have a flex additive, so it will fall of just like normal spray paint. That said, if you want it to match your 1:1, get in contact with the company that made you the touch up rattle cans and see if they can add a flex additive to it. I would think they could, because when you spray a automotive bumper you have to add a flex additive or the paint will crack and fall off of the flexible bumpers.
TurboShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I used automotive touch up paint to paint up a jeep rubicon body like my dads... and eventually i wouldnt mind doing on like my 1:1 cherokee. I painted my crawler which is currently a mega cab with automotive touch up paint from autozone... it works fine for me, I added a clear coat over it then. can we see a pic of your 1:1 cherokee?????
CAPTAIN INSANE-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
~THE SCALE SHOP~

no but heres what you need to do

use the window masks and put them on the outside (after removing film)
first paint the body with lexan (pactra or tamiya) black.
this will bond to the lexan (and give a very scale look because the inside of the jeep will be black and not a color)
then paint your standard automotive paint over that after letting the black fully dry for a day.
clear if desired.
remove window masks and sticker.
works very well and will last.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN INSANE-O View Post
I used automotive touch up paint to paint up a jeep rubicon body like my dads... and eventually i wouldnt mind doing on like my 1:1 cherokee. I painted my crawler which is currently a mega cab with automotive touch up paint from autozone... it works fine for me, I added a clear coat over it then. can we see a pic of your 1:1 cherokee?????
Nice so the auto touch up paint worked fine on your crawler and didnt flake over time? Ill be sure to add a clearcoat layer when I do mine and hopefully thatll help. If it doesnt work then ill just contact the company I got the paint from and see if they can sell me a can with flex additive.

Here's the pic of my 1:1 Cherokee

My goal is not to make my crawler scale, but I at least think it would be cool to have the same body and same color, so hopefully I can get things to work out

thanks!
Old 05-14-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

The only spots where my paint came off was because my custom frame I made was rubbing it and scratching it off over time. and thats a damn good looking xj, 6.5" lift? here's mine, I wanna get a 4.5" lift soon and replace the 2" it has now & I gotta mount up the light bar for the front bumper I made for it.

but yeah, I used multiple coats of the automotive touch up paint & then eventually after I used it a bunch I cleaned it up & touched it up again & clear coated it and it works fine for me. My dad hasnt run the crawler I made for him based off his 1:1 rubicon but I painted his with matching automotive touch up paint & it looks good but I dont know if that paint job will stay or not, it probably will... all I know is that my Mega Cab Body is holding up fine with it.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #7

nice ill definitely do that then.... now I just have to order the XJ body. And 6 inch full traction long arm lift with one inch spacers. so about 7 inches overall. Ive been into 1:1 rock crawling for years now and now just getting into this as well. Its so much cheaper!

you've got a good looking XJ too man, its clean which is good. dont let it start rusting so it will stay like that and put that 4.5 inch lift and light bar on!
Old 05-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Thanx man, and I'm getting my license soon so I'll be able to offroad 1:1 way more often, but I've been into 1:10 offroading for a good while now. your XJ looks badass, keep her going. I wouldnt trade my Jeep for any other vehicle. And I'll do my best at keeping her clean & rust/corrosion free cuz I'm driving it till she dies, then she's gonna get rebuilt & it will start all over again. I'll be watching to see your 1:10 xj goodluck man
Old 05-14-2011, 08:52 PM   #9
Suck it up!

Go to your local auto paint supply store. Pick up a can of Bulldog Adhesion promoter. Spray it on before you spray your paint.

http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=1&prodid=56
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

You'll love the full traction kit, it's pretty much the best 4 link I've run other than custom built stuff. Add the center skid if you ever get the time/cash, it's a real nice piece.
NGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

53guy... do you have a cherokee? post up a pic
Old 05-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Go to your local auto paint supply store. Pick up a can of Bulldog Adhesion promoter. Spray it on before you spray your paint.

http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=1&prodid=56
x2 ,the adhesion promoter works great,i dont have the bulldog brand , but any will help alot , ive sprayed many of rc with primer after the promoter, and it hasnt come off yet.

body is hitemp ceramic paint , top is dulicolor . on the outside.

hellbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:55 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN INSANE-O View Post
53guy... do you have a cherokee? post up a pic
I currently have this one...

But when I lived in Richmond, I owned this one....too bad I was retarded and sold it...

Old 05-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Those are some badass looking XJ's... there is a blue one around here looks just like your blue one except it has stock everything except the lift & the rims, no apparent modifications other than that. How did those bfg mud terrains on your first XJ work because mine needs new tires and those we're the ones I originally wanted but I dont know how they perform... my dad thinks the new style bfg m/t's is how we're gonna go.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I love the BFG's for the road, had them for years. They do exceptionally well offroad for a radial tire in my opinion. There is obviously better tires for specific applications, however, for an all around tire, it does real well. I have been wanting to try out the ProComp extreme mud's but need to get back to the mainland first. The blue one is completely stock minus the lift. It has just sat around for the past 3 years with my Pops driving it every now and then.

Back on topic, I'd love to try the adhesion promotor and see how it works first hand. Montana paints makes some sweet colors that would look real nice IMHO. A good quality paint like the automotive stuff would look real nice too. I have a hard body that I've used auto touch up paint and it looks just like a 1:1, so I'm a fan.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:56 PM   #16

ill definitely grab some of that adhesion promoter when i paint mine. after using the adhesion promoter do you always have to paint the outside of the body like hellbounder did or is the adhesion promoter clear so that you can spray that on the inside and then spray your auto paint on the inside as well like normal?
Old 05-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

You can paint the inside as well, it's not an issue. It works pretty awesome if you're making a scaler to spray the inside with some aluminum color or rusty color lexan paint backed in black and then paint the outside whatever you want with adhesion promotor. That way when you get scratches, it looks like a bit more scale.