Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Iwata Madness...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Iwata Madness...

I'm ready to take my painting to the next level. Having read and asked around, it seems like an Iwata is the way to go. From what I have read, they have all the features I'll ever want, but they are easy to learn on (noob friendly). But, which one to get?

I went to this page and damn near puked when I saw all of the options...
http://www.coastairbrush.com/categories.asp?cat=26

I'm thinking this one, but I am not sure...
http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddet...p?prod=ECL4500

I'm wanting a airbrush kit, everything except paint, hoses, compressor, and moisture/oil seperator. My budget is around $125...

What do you guys suggest?
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Thats the one that I use, but i also have an Iwata Neo that works great plus it has different size paint bowls on it so you don't waste any of you paint and do smaller tighter detail work. Plus it is easier to clean.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

try TCPGLOBAL.com ...they have great prices and deals on packages
mustangboy_347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

i have the neo as well, its a great gun for the price, But im a die hard devibliss dagr fan, i would check it out as well, many diff size cups.
Southern_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangboy_347 View Post
try TCPGLOBAL.com ...they have great prices and deals on packages
By far the best place out there, i use a lot of there kustom shop flatz paint.
Southern_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Eclipse HP-CS is a really good choice. Ive had mine for about 10 years now and the only thing I have had to do is replace the needle in it. it has been by far a good investment. one thing though get a good compressor that has a auto shut off on it,and a water/air reg on it. it's a good deal to put the water/air separator on the air brush as well. less headache that way. but a full size what I used for a long time, but had more trouble with water getting in the air brush, but will work. for $125 is a good start in getting into an air brush. hell I can sale my air brush to ya if you want. haven't used it for about a year now.

this is the composer that I have. love the hell out of it. been the best one I've had. made air brushing alot easier not having to deal with water in the lines.

http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddet...?prod=IS%2D850

Last edited by spyderwebbcustoms; 05-15-2011 at 02:43 PM.
spyderwebbcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:48 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for all of the input.

I've went with the Revolution CR. It is a little bit finer of a brush than what I really need, but I've been told that I will likely never out grown this one.

I have to say that I don't really care for the packaging or instructions. It comes in a nice hard plastic case, but the foam is a hodge-podge collection if bits and pieces that don't seem to go together. The instructions are REALLY light and some of the basics are overlooked or hidden...

What air pressure is good to start with?

Thanks again!
Old 05-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Good choice you won't regret it.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:13 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Default Missing Manual? What about a water seperator?

Is there something missing from my kit?

There was a little booklet with some technique info in it and two pages on maintenance, but there was nothing about the CR specifically, no parts list or exploded view. This being the internet age, I was able to download most of this information, but I was expecting more documentation to come with the kit.

I have been pestering anyone and everyone about airbrushing, still have yet to put air or paint through it. I've asked a couple of people about moisture seperators with a 2gal air compressor and most have told me that I don't need one. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks...
Old 05-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Is there something missing from my kit?

There was a little booklet with some technique info in it and two pages on maintenance, but there was nothing about the CR specifically, no parts list or exploded view. This being the internet age, I was able to download most of this information, but I was expecting more documentation to come with the kit.

I have been pestering anyone and everyone about airbrushing, still have yet to put air or paint through it. I've asked a couple of people about moisture separators with a 2gal air compressor and most have told me that I don't need one. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks...

moisture separators is a must. if you don't when you start to do fine line you will get a burst of water in the paint. this is not an ideal set up the 2gal tank will have alot of water rust in it, and will make you pull your hair out trying to do fine detail work. I've tried it and do not like it. but it will get you going though. I would put a water/oil separator on the out let of the tank, then buy the one that goes on the air brush. just cheap insurance

I would if I was you buy this atlest

http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddet...?prod=FA%2D450

Last edited by spyderwebbcustoms; 05-23-2011 at 11:17 AM.
spyderwebbcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #11

I do Airbrush on Motorcycles for a living. So a good trick with the setup you have is to install an airline between the compressor and the H2O trap. At least 10 feet. What this does is allow the air to cool before the H20 trap. The reason some have problems is that the air is hot and can support water in vapor form. This allows water to pass right through the trap! Then it cools in the line AFTER the trap. Also an air regulator after the trap is recommended. This will give you a more correct PSI to the airbrush. Run the PSI at the compressor to max and turn down the PSI at the second regulator. Depending on the paint consistency, you’ll need to run 5 to 30 PSI. The Iwata line can handle 40 + PSI, but it is not recommended. Lower PSI is better for detail, higher PSI for coverage. The better you get, and the more tricks you pick up the more different PSI you’ll use. Hope this helps.
ajosepi is offline   Reply With Quote