Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Lengthening a Lexan Body?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2006, 06:17 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Lengthening a Lexan Body?

How would one lengthen a lexan body? I planned on taking two School Bus Lexan bodies and making one long one. Now how would I connect the two bodies together? Or better yet is there any place that makes larger scale bodies. I have found a few, but none I like.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2006, 08:31 PM   #2
[HOONIGAN]

I've heard of people using shoe goo. I use a scrap piece of lexan behind the butted joint, shoe goo the joint and then back it with a strip of lexan.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:46 AM   #3
Colt Python/SR9c

Not really sure how you would get rid of the cut lines and merge it back together to look right. Mike(1badjeepbruiser) was telling me about some Tamiya body putty or something like that, that he used when dovetailing his bruiser. I remember an old post where someone narrowed thier body and put it back together, I'll see if i can find the post

edit- here is one..... Anyone narrow a body?

edit again - Lexan body work

Last edited by TwistedCreations; 04-27-2006 at 12:56 AM.
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:54 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the tips. I'll keep all those on mind.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:09 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

the tamiya putty is more of a filler any plastic or hobby epoxy should be fine at glueing them
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:24 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Lengthening a Lexan Body?

Does anyone have a picture of this done successfully? I want to make my power wagon bed longer to further replicate my 1:1's 8' bed. I followed the two links in here and the links in those and only saw a hand full of pictures and a lot of suggestions but no posted results. I have some ideas on some potential fillers to use(will definitely be testing shoe goo) on the seam.

Sorry to dig up this old thread, just figured I would ask before jumping into a variety of testing methods to see what fits the bill.
Dad,Canyoufix? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 05:00 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad,Canyoufix? View Post
Does anyone have a picture of this done successfully? I want to make my power wagon bed longer to further replicate my 1:1's 8' bed. I followed the two links in here and the links in those and only saw a hand full of pictures and a lot of suggestions but no posted results. I have some ideas on some potential fillers to use(will definitely be testing shoe goo) on the seam.

Sorry to dig up this old thread, just figured I would ask before jumping into a variety of testing methods to see what fits the bill.

I attached the bed back on my old Chevy body.Used
E-6000(same as shoe goo).Backed with styrene for strength.
hotrodsonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 09:14 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad,Canyoufix? View Post

Successfully is a loose term to use...... Due to really it never looks all the best nor lives like a standard lexan body, especially if it is actually used and best on like a lexan body. The actual best best way to do it would be to build mold and vacuum form it in the form you would like.
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 09:20 PM   #9
MWRCA'er

It can be done pretty well if you pick the proper areas of the body to seam together.

Here I took two Proline Recon bodies and doubled the length of the cab and doubled the length of the bed.

Just careful straight cuts, mesh drywall tape and shoe goo or Goop.

Painting the outside makes it easier to blend the seams also no worry of the glue bleeding through the paint.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:05 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Ty guys. Will definitely look into vaccum forming a mold. Thanks for the pic, Looks great!
Dad,Canyoufix? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:27 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Same idea as shortening...I got about 10-12 packs through mine. I've seen it roll and good 30-40ft down hill and was fine. I used a epoxy from the auto parts store. Believe it was from prematex and stated it was for plastic and flexible. It listed a bunch of polys to not polyethylene (lexan). It was also a 2 part epoxy as well.

I used scrap pieces of lexan and hot glue to set the pieces in place and then went to town with the epoxy. Then I let it sit and cure for at least 24 hours and went through and sanded it smooth.

Mind you I could of spent a lot more time on this but I was experimenting. Really like to do a clear body now. Obviously it will have to be painted from the outside....

The body I started with

After epoxy and before sanding.

After sanding

And some paint...

802coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:52 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I do the same as wrecker, here's some pics of the '11 F250 cab for a Honcho I shortened like 802coma did to his stock body.

Shoe goo, and pieces of the extended cab I cut out to reinforce it. It's holding up really well.

OH!, and I did zero bodywork on it. If there was a gap between the joints, I made sure it was filling with shoe goo, and after it set for a bit, used a razor blade to make it flush.

SuperDrty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:21 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

I can't believe I found this thread. I have a proline dodge ram 1500 true scale body and was trying to Find the best spot to cut to lengthen the wheelbase two inches longer. Also has anyone ever tried to chop the roof to lower it?
vanwraith001 is offline   Reply With Quote