Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Window Mask help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 12:59 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Window Mask help.

One thing I've never found easy with painting a shell is window mask. Seems like the hardest and most frustrating task you could think of. Side windows I find ok, but really struggle when doing the larger front and rear windscreens. I know practice makes perfect, but not one of the shells I've painted, the precut masks have gone smoothly. I'm just painting my first Honcho shell and I had to do the front windscreen without using the precut mask. I just couldn't get it lined up and when I got it lined up it didn't fill the marks on the shell.

Has anyone got any good tips or an idiots guide to doing window mask??

Thanks.
eemmaaxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
No idea what I'm doing

I haven't found a mask yet that fits the windows properly. One thing I do though is use an X-acto knife to put them on with. I stick the mask to the knife blade. This works for smaller side windows but not that great for windshields. I just find the knife easier to handle than trying to use my fingers...especially smaller bodies.

I do the same thing with stickers on the outside as well.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I've used liquid mask with good results but it's tricky to get a straight line but good for curves where masking tape is hard.

You can make a pattern of the mask & then center it on the window & use a sharpie to outline the mask so that when you put the real mask on, you have guide lines. sharpie ink comes off with rubbing alcohol.

I also roll the masks up on the windshield, then peel the top edge only & line that up with my guide line & then work it down. hair dryer on high heat will help smooth out wrinkles. Method works on sticker too like the honcho grill.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Back before the precut masks came with RC bodies, we would lay out masking tape on the outside of the body to cut out the mask and then put it on the inside. This way you get one that fits purfectly! As far as lining them up, that just takes a little practice and a lot of trial and error!
gonzo87107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

BTW, the dark blue 3M masking tape works really well.
gonzo87107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:19 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the help guys!

Got my first couple of coats on the Honch shell and the masking is working fine. The edges of the windscreen are a little rough but hopefully I'll be able to tidy that up. Time to order shell number 2
eemmaaxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote