Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Need advice on a air brush commpressor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Need advice on a air brush commpressor

I would normally do a little more research on this but here is the situation: I've wanted an air brush for years but cost has always kept me from buying and since I haven't been seriously considering one, I'm a bit out of the loop. For a 10 year aniversery at work, I can pick something out of this catalog. there is this Craftsman 3 gal. 1HP, 125psi mini-compressor but that is the only one I can get. Would this be a good choice with an airbrush? If not, there is a nice cordless drill I'll pick. But if the compressor would be a good choice for use with an airbrush in the future, I would like to get it. Here is a link to it:

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-3...p-00915310000P

Thanks for any advice.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

That compressor would work just fine for any airbrushing you would ever want to do. Just be sure to put a regulator on it as you shouldn't need more than 40psi for airbrushing work.
gonzo87107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

thanks for the info, it has a bunch of accessories but I don't think it has a regulator. Looking at some of the reviews on it, it doesn't sound like it holds up real well.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:59 AM   #4
Proverbial threadkiller

I use a Craftsman pancake style compressor, 3/4 hp/ 125 psi, and for airbrushing it's decent. I'd like a bigger tank, but this one was almost free after gift certificates and such. If I'm doing a lot of blowing off the lawnmower and stuff, it can raise a bit of a stink, but hasn't failed me yet. Mine's got the regulator, and I just run an inline water separator/dryer when airbrushing.

For an airbrush I ignored the sage advice of "get something good quality, that'll work correctly, and that you'll enjoy using", and took a gamble on a $25 (at the time) double action, internal mix airbrush from Harbor Freight. I have to say, it's working out quite well so far. I kinda like this thing. If I had the time to sit down and develop some serious skills, I might want more, but for what I'm capable of doing right now, it's pretty nice.

I went old school and picked up a single action, external mix airbrush for spraying liquid mask, UGH! If I had to spray paint using this thing, I'd go back to rattle cans.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:10 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I've airbrushed in the past with the spare tire out of my car as an air source, it doesn't take much. The only problem was having to go and fill the tire when it ran low on air!
gonzo87107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:59 AM   #6
www.team3sixrc.com

Go to my website DRW. In my tutorial I offer advice.

Just so ya know, if you don't mind noise. The little compressors at hardware stores like lowest, home depot, ect. Most of them come with a regulator built in for anywhere around $50.00 to $120.00

I picked one up at home depot that was a dual tank compressor and it worked great. Just noisy and if your airbrushing. It kinda freaks ya out when it goes from quite to BRRRLLLAAAAHHHHH. lol

I just recently purchased another oilless from ebay not too long ago. It's a off brand tank style 120 psi compressor for airbrushing and it was one of the best purchases I made.

The company is a store and they offer a lot of packages. Ill see if I can find them tonight for ya.

Truth is, if your serious about airbrushing I can direct you to a thing or two. You should buy not nessesarily what is specific, but what is tried and true.

Airbrushes for example. One does not need yo buy a Iwata or devilbiss to paint well. There are lots if cheaps that will last 3 years if you follow my airbrush care thread.

And yes, laquer based paints are harder on airbrushes. Including rubber seals.

Last edited by team3six; 08-19-2011 at 07:01 AM.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:17 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thanks for all the feedback. I have since checked and it does have a regulator but not an inline water seperator.

Norm, I'll check out your tutorial for sure. Exactly what I need right now. Like I said, this "decision" sort of came out of left field when I got this free gift thing at work and I haven't done all the research I would normally but the idea of finally having an airbrush after 35+ years of rattle cans is exciting.

I'm leaning towards this one just because I can get it for free. Airbrush may have to wait till Santa comes but... with a compressor I'm half way there.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:32 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Ok, so I ordered that compressor. After reading Norm's tutorial, I'm looking at a Air Pro Tools PS900, I googled it & it seems like it has a lot of features for a $50 price tag & I can regulate air pressure at the brush. Thanks Norm, I would have bought an Iwata. Probably wouldn't have been dissatisfied but this will get me spraying for $50.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #9
www.team3sixrc.com

My pleasure. If you need advice don't hesitate to ask.
and do it for fun. Enjoy yourself.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:31 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
and do it for fun. Enjoy yourself.
No problem there.. I'm not good enough to do it for money. If I have any questions I'll be sure and ask. thanks again.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Default Very Great advice

For me I went to Harbor freight tools and picked up the airbrush kit w air compressor. it is quiet, but has no tank so not the best for continuous painting. it is great and as I can afford i will upgrade components and add external tank with Airdryer. It works and am very happy.
goofylundeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubble View Post
I use a Craftsman pancake style compressor, 3/4 hp/ 125 psi, and for airbrushing it's decent. I'd like a bigger tank, but this one was almost free after gift certificates and such. If I'm doing a lot of blowing off the lawnmower and stuff, it can raise a bit of a stink, but hasn't failed me yet. Mine's got the regulator, and I just run an inline water separator/dryer when airbrushing.

For an airbrush I ignored the sage advice of "get something good quality, that'll work correctly, and that you'll enjoy using", and took a gamble on a $25 (at the time) double action, internal mix airbrush from Harbor Freight. I have to say, it's working out quite well so far. I kinda like this thing. If I had the time to sit down and develop some serious skills, I might want more, but for what I'm capable of doing right now, it's pretty nice.

I went old school and picked up a single action, external mix airbrush for spraying liquid mask, UGH! If I had to spray paint using this thing, I'd go back to rattle cans.
That's all a single action airbrush is...a glorified rattle can. You'd prolly be better off with the can!
DiggyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:15 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo87107 View Post
I've airbrushed in the past with the spare tire out of my car as an air source, it doesn't take much. The only problem was having to go and fill the tire when it ran low on air!
Now that's a good example of 'Field Expediency'!
DiggyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:29 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggyStyle View Post
That's all a single action airbrush is...a glorified rattle can. You'd prolly be better off with the can!
I agree there^^^

Dual action is the only way to go!
Fletch24 is offline   Reply With Quote