Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Methods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Methods

I don't have an airbrush system. Wondering how ya'll mask off for special paint jobs. What's ya'lls techniques that have worked for ya? I have liquid mask that a friend has enlightened me on but I don't have a steady hand to score in a straight line. Suggestions tips/tricks of the trade. Looking to do a dark blue witha wee metallic and tryin to think of some ideas for graphics or the like. Thanks for suggestions and such
meanbgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanbgreen View Post
I don't have an airbrush system. Wondering how ya'll mask off for special paint jobs. What's ya'lls techniques that have worked for ya? I have liquid mask that a friend has enlightened me on but I don't have a steady hand to score in a straight line. Suggestions tips/tricks of the trade. Looking to do a dark blue witha wee metallic and tryin to think of some ideas for graphics or the like. Thanks for suggestions and such
I've just started with an airbrush, you still need to be able to mask right to get good results.
I just finished up a body using some thin masking tapes, and got the less than wonderful results I've come to expect from tape. I think Home Depot was suppsoed to have some kinda masking tape where the moisture in the paint would cause the tape's adhesive to "gel" up like some kinda liquid mask (frog tape, maybe?). Couldn't tell you if/how it works, as I've never used it.
Right now I'm midway through painting a body with Liquid mask (thinned down and sprayed on). Seems to working fairly well except for when my cuts don't meet perfectly in the corners and I wind up pulling up the mask before the gap in the corner breaks.
I've also got some vinyl internal masks, but have heard they're difficult to apply, and not that great besides. Last thing I need to do as a beginner is make it harder on myself than it needs to be. The 1/12th scale truggy body I'm shooting right now doesn't hardly have room enough for my big monkey paws, much less properly applying vinyls. I'll save those for the nice, big Slash bodies.

I think you're going in the right direction with the liquid mask, personally. If you still have your overspray film on the outside of the body, you can mark your lines on the outside in marker, and then you'd see where to cut on the inside of the body. And anywhere you have two cuts meeting, hold your thumb over that intersection when you pull your mask off, try and keep as much of that mask down as you can. Outside of that, just gonna take some practice.......
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:49 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

yea buddy practice, patience is a virtue I reckon I need to get as well. Hmm what design should I make hmmm, easy yet cool
meanbgreen is offline   Reply With Quote