Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Krylon Fusion - How "scale" is it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Krylon Fusion - How "scale" is it?

Im looking at options for painting my honcho body.

I sort of have an idea for a 3 layer outside job and a 1 layer inside job. Basically a rust color sprayed inside the body, then a silver layer sprayed outside (mimic the raw steel of the truck), followed by a primer layer, followed by my final paint coat.

Im hesitant to use lexan paint because Im worried it might bond too well, with no realistic scratching. Am I thinking too much into this?

but a the same time, Im worried that so many layers, being non-lexan paint, will just cause an enormous mess. Is this too many different paint layers?
AG74683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2011, 03:39 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

I've used Krylon Fusion on a couple of rigs. Just make sure your coats are thin mists until each color builds up. I use a hair dryer on low setting briefly after each mist to speed up the process a little - wait about 30 minutes in between each misty coat & you'll be fine without funk.

I actually called Krylon before using it and they sent me an email as I was speaking to them stating the following:

"The Krylon Fusion has been tested on the following materials successfully: Montell Astryn (YFBR712-G03053), GE Noryl Nylon (EM 7100-111), GE Noryl Nylon (N190x-701), GE Cycolac ABS (L-1000), Sovay TPO (D161B), GE Lexan Polycarbonate (LSI-111), Dow Magnum PC/ABS (344), Dow Styron Polystyrene, Bayer Bayblend ABS (FR110-1000), ATC Zuca TPO (ATX832B), Polyporoplylene, Polyethylene, Montell TPO (SB-823),TPO (DS 880-1),Cold Rolled Steel, Ceramic, Bakelite, Artificial Grass, Aluminum, Masonry, and Glass. These tests were performed in accordance with ASTM D3359 - Cross-hatched Tape Adhesion Test. "

Hope this helps.

Last edited by LateNightRoach; 09-08-2011 at 03:51 AM.
LateNightRoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:20 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I like tamiya spray paints but they're so expensive. I keep several colors of Krylon fusion around for various projects because it's so cheap. It's always worked really well for me.

As far as realistic scratching... My Krylon paint jobs have scratched like any other.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:51 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I did the same paint job on one of my bodies I used a couple coats of silver spray paint on the inside then on the outside I sprayed a light coat of silver then three coats of some flat black and im happy with the result

tmaxxdout is offline   Reply With Quote