Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Greased Lightening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #1
WAM
Rock Crawler

Default Greased Lightening

I'm trying to remove factory anodize from beadlock rings and my results are a bit different from what I've seen posted. I had previously painted these, outside surface only, and the first thing I discovered is GL didn't affect the paint. But a few seconds in acetone made short work of the paint. Then back into GL. An hour later only the back surfaces had lightened. Eventually I gave up after 2-hrs and rinsed them off for the night. This morning I started again with fresh GL and it's foaming up pretty good, so I think it's working. But at some point I'll just polish them up manually with a Dremel or something.

Lessons learned? GL isn't a paint remover, and it "wears out" so needs replacement throughout the process. And in my case takes a lot longer than some others lead me to believe. Anyone see it diffrently?
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
RCC Addict

I had about the same experience with gl as you. Most posts I had seen said 30min and your ready to polish. After a couple hours and several changes I still had to hit the parts with sand paper to get them ready to polish. The gl did 90% of the work so still a success in my book.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
WAM
Rock Crawler

Yeah, I just finished the job. A grinder-mounted wire wheel made short work of what was left. Replacing the fluid multiple times is a big deal. Fresh fluid foams up like crazy. A few minutes and it's spent. Long soaks in old fluid are a waste of time.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I use the yellow can of Oven Off.Works really good then polish the parts with Mothers aluminum polish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM View Post
Yeah, I just finished the job. A grinder-mounted wire wheel made short work of what was left. Replacing the fluid multiple times is a big deal. Fresh fluid foams up like crazy. A few minutes and it's spent. Long soaks in old fluid are a waste of time.
PCHILNSF is offline   Reply With Quote