Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Magnets to hold down a body......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Magnets to hold down a body......

Hard drive magnets are the same thing as neodymium or rare earth magnets. I picked up a 10 pack of them from Harbor Freight (located next to their regular magnets for picture frame hanging) for about $5.

I have 2 mounted in the rear of my extended CC-01 Tundra hard body. On the tail of the chassis I was able to affix a Hitec servo box with Shoe Goo which I then drilled a hole to put my RX inside a jewelry bag zip tied and snug with lithium grease between the wires for waterproofing.

With any neo magnets once they're on it's a bit hard to get them properly centered unless you have washers on both ends or something to lock them in place.

I'm still working on attaching the front end of the body...most likely I will do what I did on my SCX10 Tundra (stack a bunch of thick foam pads from battery trays or starter boxes under the hood and use Shoe Goo to affix Industrial Strength Velcro).

I like my front end body mounts to have a little give when I'm rubbing on the rocks w/o the body popping off if I used magnets. The benefit of Industrial Strength Velcro is they're strong/waterproof/dirt proof and you can also attach and reattach them countless times w/o worrying of them ripping apart.

On the rear end of any body I want it as secure as possible. On the SCX10 Tundra I drilled two holes in the bed and secured them with black clips so it blends in with the black bedliner.

My thoughts were the same with my CC-01 Tundra. Keep the front end a bit flexible so you can remove and swap batteries easily and also keep it strong. This is why I stacked hard foam padding and used velcro.

Good luck!
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Magnets to hold down a body......

I usually use the stock emaxx battery hold down screws thingies They look like these silver "screws": TowerHobbies.com | 3725X Traxxas Battery Expansion Kit Rustler/Bandit/Stampede just a little shorter. I screw them into the body where the stock screws go that hold the bottom and top together. Drill a hole or make a holder in the chassis. Kind of like a reverse body post.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote