Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Spraying liquid mask

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Spraying liquid mask

I have never used the liquid mask before. I decided to finally try it out and have a question on application. When I looked into it before I saw where someone said you could thin it with water and spray it through your airbrush. I had planned on doing just that until i recieved my bottle today and the directions say nothing of the sort. Upon further looking around on the web I now cant find any info to back up that it is sprayable. So the question is can it be done and is it recommended or not? Im not worried about messing up the body I just don't want it to clog my gun all up if I'm wrong
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I just brush it on straight out of the bottle. Less work than thinning, then airbrushing, then cleaning the airbrush, then doing it over and over.

I generally do two coats brushing, I'd guess you'd have to do several more coats with an airbrush.

Not sure what the advantage would be to spray the stuff.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
www.team3sixrc.com

If you need advice how to paint and do the masking. here is my thread on my website. I honestly dont advise to airbrush the mask because it is a glue and can jamb up your gun as well as be sprayed on too thick or too thin which will hurt in cutting out the mask.
* RC Airbushing 101 - team3sixRC
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:16 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
I just brush it on straight out of the bottle. Less work than thinning, then airbrushing, then cleaning the airbrush, then doing it over and over.

I generally do two coats brushing, I'd guess you'd have to do several more coats with an airbrush.

Not sure what the advantage would be to spray the stuff.
I was looking at it like painting the rest of the body. I wouldn't use a brush to put on my paint as it would take forever and yield an uneven finish. I was thinking the mask may be the same. I'm a liquid masking noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
If you need advice how to paint and do the masking. here is my thread on my website. I honestly dont advise to airbrush the mask because it is a glue and can jamb up your gun as well as be sprayed on too thick or too thin which will hurt in cutting out the mask.
* RC Airbushing 101 - team3sixRC
Thanks for the link. That is some good reading and sums it up pretty well. I notice when you paint you don't use any of the included masks. Would it cause problems If I was to put them in for the windows? Being new to it I fear being able to cut a steady enough line to make the window cuts nice and clean. Thanks for the help
Old 10-12-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
www.team3sixrc.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandcrawler View Post
I was looking at it like painting the rest of the body. I wouldn't use a brush to put on my paint as it would take forever and yield an uneven finish. I was thinking the mask may be the same. I'm a liquid masking noob

Thanks for the link. That is some good reading and sums it up pretty well. I notice when you paint you don't use any of the included masks. Would it cause problems If I was to put them in for the windows? Being new to it I fear being able to cut a steady enough line to make the window cuts nice and clean. Thanks for the help
Very hard to mask over the window area and remove the windowmask without causing peal back.

There are several companies that make awesome vinyl masks
check out xxxmain
Old 10-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Very hard to mask over the window area and remove the windowmask without causing peal back.

There are several companies that make awesome vinyl masks
check out xxxmain
I have used their stuff before and liked it a lot. That is the only way I will ever be able to do flames. I see you recommend to use a small little brush and work in small squares. Will a sponge brush give a good result? Like the craft ones I can swipe from my wife
Old 10-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
www.team3sixrc.com

Quote:
I have used their stuff before and liked it a lot. That is the only way I will ever be able to do flames. I see you recommend to use a small little brush and work in small squares. Will a sponge brush give a good result? Like the craft ones I can swipe from my wife
Funny you said that, I did try that too. lol

Here is why its such an issue. Some people actually do well with it. I havent had such luck.

See if you do it in layers and allow the layers to dry, then 4 latyers later you have the right thickness and its easy to cut.

If you do it too thick, the top layer will dry and might not ever dry underneath. so when you cut it, the mask fills the gap and then you peal it and wont come off. Plus the latyer underneatch just smears.

think of it like elmers glue on your fingers. it wont dry. but if you thin it out, it cures fast and easy to remove.

Now the sponge trick. Yes it will cover, but then you get tons of bubbles and gaps that are thick here, thin there and inconsistant.

Just so ya know. I used to paint quite often back in the day and was one of Charlie Barnes and Todd Kirbey's students

Here is a lot of the work I did. and BTW, I wasnt that good when I started.
http://www.team3sixrc.com/apps/photos/

Last edited by team3six; 10-12-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Funny you said that, I did try that too. lol

Here is why its such an issue. Some people actually do well with it. I havent had such luck.

See if you do it in layers and allow the layers to dry, then 4 latyers later you have the right thickness and its easy to cut.

If you do it too thick, the top layer will dry and might not ever dry underneath. so when you cut it, the mask fills the gap and then you peal it and wont come off. Plus the latyer underneatch just smears.

think of it like elmers glue on your fingers. it wont dry. but if you thin it out, it cures fast and easy to remove.

Now the sponge trick. Yes it will cover, but then you get tons of bubbles and gaps that are thick here, thin there and inconsistant.

Just so ya know. I used to paint quite often back in the day and was one of Charlie Barnes and Todd Kirbey's students
Cool man thanks. Ive seen your work before so I know Im getting good advice. I'm gonna jump in and go for it I guess. Thanks for the tips and pointers man, it has made it a little easier to get motivated to do it.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #9
www.team3sixrc.com

Quote:
Cool man thanks. Ive seen your work before so I know Im getting good advice. I'm gonna jump in and go for it I guess. Thanks for the tips and pointers man, it has made it a little easier to get motivated to do it.
If you need advice. Just ask.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:33 AM   #10
Proverbial threadkiller

I thinned out liquid mask with water and sprayed it with a single action, external mix airbrush (so as to not gum up or wreck my DA/IM airbrush). It was not the least bit pleasant, at all. I was generally pleased with the results after it had all dried, but I remember getting FAR better results (and it was easier) just using a brush and not thinning. But yes, it can be done.

Now I have the body masked, and no idea what I want to do for a paint scheme.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #11
E.Y. Designs

I always just use a paint brush and paint it on. I do about 4 layers and then I cut it.
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote