Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Some Body ???'s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Some Body ???'s

Not my first body to paint nor cut, but Needing some advice on this before i mess up my body. Got a Cherokee Body and wanting to 2 tone it White on top with about an inch of black at the bottom. Thinking all i wouldl have to do is Mask off what I want black then shoot with black then let dry cover the black and shoot rest white. Does this sound about right?

Also Whats the best way to smooth your body edges using a drimel? When i cut the body the heat from the drimel blade kinda melts the lexan and leaves it fringy looking so wanna clean that up also.
WestTxRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Lexan scissors and then dremel lightly sanding wheel
Twztid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I didnt have the scissors might get me a pair find my self doign alot of bodies.
I used a cutting disk on the drimel to cut most away and was hoping someone would say use a sanding wheel thing so could clean up.
WestTxRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:28 AM   #4

you can also use a razor blade to score the lines, then bend them. the scrap lexan beaks away leaving a nice clean cut. no need to sand the edges afterward. just be very carefull.
BRASSKNUCKLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:45 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I would mask the bottom section you want black, spray the white & back it with silver, peel the mask & spray your black.

You'll get the cleanest edge cutting rather than sanding & that requires good tools. lexan scissors straight & curved & xacto with a new blade. Step one is clearly seeing what you are cutting. seems simple & intuitive but don't cut if you can't see exactly where you are cutting and it is exactly where you want to cut. good lighting helps & a sharpie pen can help mark or highlite areas. it wipes right off lexan with rubbing alcohol.

I carefully cut the straight edges with scissors. rough out the curved sections with curved scissors. go back over them again with scissors. finally use an exacto with a brand new blade & useing a steady had & just the tip of a #11 blade, clean the edges of the curves.

I avoid sanding at all costs, I've never had much luck cleaning lexan edges with any sort of sanding & don't cut if you aren't 100% confident your cuttingn where you want to.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Ditto on Twizted. The best way is to score that line and bend it . There will be no need for nothing else. I promise you! I used to go thru the exact sme thing till I learned how to score the line and bend my friend!
17dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
Suck it up!

Always paint dark colors first.

Cutting with the xacto method works great. I usually go back with a big 2" sanding drum with fine paper on it to smooth out any imperfections or if I'm clearancing a fender or something.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

im parital to scoring the body lines, just trace where you want to cut w/ a razor blade, then bend and tear, works perfect and no weird marks, and if there are any imperfections just hand sand or re score.
aztitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I'm going to have to try scoring. My method has always worked for me but I'm always up for trying something different. sounds like you all are sold on the method.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:39 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Like Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude said always paint your darker colors first . DARK TO LIGHT !!!
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #11
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I usually go back with a big 2" sanding drum with fine paper on it to smooth out any imperfections or if I'm clearancing a fender or something.
I started doing that after you said it in another post. A large sanding drum in a drill press works great.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:51 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Gettin' all sorts of ideas here. on colors, I've always read dark first too but I've done a bunch of tamiya FJ40 bodies & always do the white roof first just because I prefer to mask in that order & never noticed any problems but I always back my white with silver or gold before going to a darker color. Got a few new ideas to try anyway.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:05 AM   #13

Default Re: Some Body ???'s

yep yep.....dark to light my man.i use a hobby knife to cut the edges its a little slower but its clean
78BIGFOOT is offline   Reply With Quote