RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Paint and Body (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/paint-body/)
-   -   Headlight / Tail Light Buckets (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/paint-body/383436-headlight-tail-light-buckets.html)

ik632 05-14-2012 02:14 PM

Headlight / Tail Light Buckets

I'm doing a Proline Comanche body for my son for his b-day and wanted to get some lights to go in it too. From what I can see most of the light kits have just the LED's but no mount.

Searching finds the chrome mount or the plastic snap in mounts. What I'm really looking for would be something I could glue to the plastic body inside so that leaves the lexan flat and nice on the outside. Then the LED would be inside and shine through the body. This will also make a nicer headlight look. For tails, I could use the same thing and just stick the tail light sticker over it so that lights up.

If I need to, I'll just get the black plastic clips and hot glue the LED's, but I'd really rather something that looks better than that.

58_Willys 05-14-2012 02:48 PM

Re: Headlight / Tail Light Buckets

I did a Proline Cherokee with Tamiya Wrangler head lights and made my own rear tail housings. No need for the mounts you speek of, just insert the led's. Should work the same since the Cherokee and Commanche are just about the same vehicles.

You can check out how it turned out here...

ik632 05-15-2012 10:05 PM

Wow, that turned out really nice. It's definitely not going to look that good for long with my son driving it. I actually picked up his body today and got some Integy lights for the roof. I'm going to mount the light bar on the roof so it's super bright when he drives around. Should be fun.

It's a very thin body though, not sure how long it's going to hold up to actually being driven.

cloudswimmer 05-21-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58_Willys (Post 3731739)
I did a Proline Cherokee with Tamiya Wrangler head lights and made my own rear tail housings. No need for the mounts you speek of, just insert the led's. Should work the same since the Cherokee and Commanche are just about the same vehicles.

You can check out how it turned out here...

Wow nice job! The side trim pieces, how did you make those?

Chris

58_Willys 05-21-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloudswimmer (Post 3741881)
Wow nice job! The side trim pieces, how did you make those?

Chris

.040(1.0mm) Evergreen styrene Novelty sheets with .109(2.8mm) spacing and an add-on strip on the top edge glued together with Tenax-7. Sanded and cut to fit with clear thin super sticky adhesive tape, and primed with duplicolor and painted with Model Master Custom Laquer system auto matching paint. On the body, I left a strip of the masking it came with, in the area where I wanted the panels to stick, and then painted the fenders flares and the rest to match the panel color. Then removed the masking, leaving a nice clean smooth area to attach the panels to.

I think the V-Groove sheet with .125 spacing might be a better choice. I'm just concerned about filling the grooves up with paint and then not having that detail visible.