Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Lexan drop bed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Lexan drop bed

Before anyone asks, yes I searched.

What I'm looking for is tips on how to build a drop bed with a lexan body. The body isn't here yet but it's being shipped soon (HPI 1979 F150 regular cab). I have styrene and Tenax here it's just the actual construction and adhesion to the lexan body is what I need some help and pointers with.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
No idea what I'm doing

Default Re: Lexan drop bed

R2J is stepping back from the hobby for awhile, so he may not answer any questions, but you might want to take a look through his thread:

-R2J Kustoms Lil' Courier "Shop Truck"-
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I'm interested in this also, but I haven't searched. I was thinking about doing this to my chevy body. I would imagine that one way to do it would be to cut the bed out and replace it with styrene and epoxy it in place. Another option would be to heat the bed of the lexan body and press a block the size of the bed into it to make it deeper. I haven't tried this but was thinking about trying it on an upcoming body. These are both just my preliminary thoughts. I haven't done much research as that project is not here yet.
mahgninnuc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

r2j used rivets to attach his bed.
mahgninnuc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
R2J is stepping back from the hobby for awhile, so he may not answer any questions, but you might want to take a look through his thread:

-R2J Kustoms Lil' Courier "Shop Truck"-
Thanks for the link, I'll definitely read it. Just got the email about 30 minutes ago my order shipped so it should be here next week. I won't be building the bed at first, but I'll attempt it not long after.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
RCC Addict

My Brother Ramset made a drop bed for his Axial body using a cut and glued plastic drawer organizer (from Walmart) and painted it. He cut the bed out of the Lexan body and used shoe goo to attach the drop bed to the sides of the body. Worked pretty slick. I removed the drop bed to make some sliders/bumpers for him and it was stuck really well. Probably used 2 globs per side and smoothed them out so they weren't noticable. I'm confident it would work for styrene as well that stuff sticks to anything and remains flexible.

Easy to make with styrene too, pretty much a box with no top. Cut out the spots for the shock hoops/springs and built some inner fenders to cover them up.
Good luck
Mr.Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:27 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Joshua View Post
My Brother Ramset made a drop bed for his Axial body using a cut and glued plastic drawer organizer (from Walmart) and painted it. He cut the bed out of the Lexan body and used shoe goo to attach the drop bed to the sides of the body. Worked pretty slick. I removed the drop bed to make some sliders/bumpers for him and it was stuck really well. Probably used 2 globs per side and smoothed them out so they weren't noticable. I'm confident it would work for styrene as well that stuff sticks to anything and remains flexible.

Easy to make with styrene too, pretty much a box with no top. Cut out the spots for the shock hoops/springs and built some inner fenders to cover them up.
Good luck
Thanks, it should go together easily since I'll be taking the rear shock towers off and getting some RC18 rear shocks for it. I just want it to look right, and not have huge wheel wells in the bed to cover the towers. It'll probably get changed over to leafs in the rear, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it lol.

Lexan drop bed - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F650 Drop bed robert3719 Paint and Body 12 12-15-2011 09:25 PM
drop bed tips? cutlaSS General Scale Talk 5 01-01-2010 08:09 AM
Drop Bed... someone.. please? Akura2 Scale Accessories 5 10-22-2008 05:20 PM