Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Where to start on my new bright body

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Where to start on my new bright body

I recently got a new bright body n I have no idea where to begin I see a lot of people taking the lights windows ect. Off these and I assume sanding them and repainting I figure I can use tamiya hard body paint on them but not sure everyone advice on where to begiwould be great even thread links if I'm asking another newbie question just help me out guys please!!!!
Gotspaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Where to start on my new bright body

Here is a link to what I did with mine.

JK Brute TTC Build

Basically you can use nail polish remover, one type but search on the board and you will find it, to remove the Mubarak and sticker junk. Strip the body all down, make your mods and then determine how to mount it and what you may have to cut away. If your running a transfer case and a tranny, not much needs to be done. If your staying with the stock tranny location, you may need to mirror the tranny or cut a lot on the interior.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

That's one of the coolest looking scalded trucks i have saw. I love the cj8 mod. I think. Was a little to vague on all my questions I need to know if I can use bondo on the body for when I do mod it as well as how to hinge doors n the hood also what paints did you use? Just the dard body tamiya ? Did u faskolor it n clear it? I should prob read the entire post maybe more answers r in there just read the first page but thanks for the info n I like your truck
Old 06-19-2012, 06:33 AM   #4
RCC Addict

You can use bondo but i recommend the Bondo Glazing and Spot Putty instead of the 2 part stuff. Any plastic paint will work, I tend to use Rust-Oleum. I sand to make sure I have roughed the entire surface to hold the paint, spray with Gray Primer, allow 24 hours to dry and then wet sand. repeat with the glazing putty, sand, primer and wet sand until the surface is smooth. Then color coat and wet sand at least 3 layers. Followed by a clear coat.

Hinges on a jeep can be made from styrene if you are patient, you can find info on that if you search this sight. Hood hinges are usually a pair of doll house hinges mounted adjacent to each other at the center of the hood from underneath with the pin portion up. you need to cut a small relief to all room for it to fir in both the hood and the cowl.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

That's useful information I thank you so much I have a good idea where I'm gonna begin now. Gotta rubicon body I think I'm going to bob. Will keep doing research and take my time with it. I need some cage practice still trying to exo my proline Cherokee body so that will help. Who knows may copy the cj8 design if I can come up with a jk or thick bed I can fab up! All info is greatly appreciated