Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: First Try at Reality Fire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #1

Default First Try at Reality Fire

Since I haven't had money to do any upgrades I decided I would give My Wraith a new paint job. I am an automotive painter but I have never tried my hand at reality fire. I think it turned out pretty good, but it's not perfect.

4xmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: First Try at Reality Fire

nice job!
sisterfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Looks damn good to me brutha.

Its funny...true fire was one of the easiest effects to learn with urethanes on a "normal" substrate but on a lexan surface without a lotta mechanical tooth & the process REVERSED...its actually pretty tough to get decent details, crisp lines & that warm, fuzzy glow that the candies usually provide.

Like I said man...Wraith looks good.

J.D.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Looks good for the first try, all it takes is time and practice painting true flames on lexan. You just have to remind yourself to let loose and let the paint flow and relax and not think about what it will look like at the end. I have learned that if you spray candy yellow(you can spray a little candy orange to darken iit up a bit) and then do the flames but be light with the white except where the hot spots are and then soak the back with candy orange, the orange will bleed into the white and give you that nice warm orange to yellow flame and back it with black it turns out great. Here are 2 bodies I did with true flames with the first body being the first flame job and the second being the latest one I did for CD13. The third body is what happens when you spray candy red to back the flames instead of orange, lol.
Attached Images

jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Looks good for the first try, all it takes is time and practice painting true flames on lexan. You just have to remind yourself to let loose and let the paint flow and relax and not think about what it will look like at the end. I have learned that if you spray candy yellow(you can spray a little candy orange to darken iit up a bit) and then do the flames but be light with the white except where the hot spots are and then soak the back with candy orange, the orange will bleed into the white and give you that nice warm orange to yellow flame and back it with black it turns out great. Here are 2 bodies I did with true flames with the first body being the first flame job and the second being the latest one I did for CD13. The third body is what happens when you spray candy red to back the flames instead of orange, lol.
I really like the first pic. It is hard to tell in my pics but I sprayed HOK Orion silver over the black base and candied it with HOK tangerine candy intensifier in clear base. I had a difficult time with the metallic plugging the airbrush. I have had Iwata eclipse for about five years now and only used it for a few drop shadows on some Harley's I painted five years ago. I hope to keep it out and start using it again.
4xmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Make sure you use a little AP01 & a flex agent when using HOK on lexan. SEM makes a good urethane flex agent that'll keep your work from flaking.

J.D.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Looks like hell in a good way.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:11 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

It's awesome for a first try
kjrell is offline   Reply With Quote

First Try at Reality Fire - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reality EXO ops......... ridepate Non Crawler RC's 3 04-17-2012 02:43 PM
Reality Check caymin last Chit Chat 10 02-03-2010 07:22 AM
Losi April Fools Joke or reality? crawler_king General Scale Talk 3 04-03-2009 07:38 AM
New tube chassis on its way to reality rckjeep Tamiya TLT Crawlers 16 06-12-2005 12:37 PM
Help make 2.2 sized beadlocks a reality!! tltcrawlerxtrem Tires and Wheels 9 01-07-2005 07:57 PM