Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Liquid masking tape.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Liquid masking tape.

Can you paint hobby grade liquid masking tape on with a paint brush and then trim around the windows and such? Has anyone done this with success? It says that you need to spray it with an airbrush. But, I dont have and airbrush to spray it with. I only really need it to mask off the windows.

Thanks
avanord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Liquid masking tape.

Yes, it takes several coats, make sure it dries well between them. Not the best method but it does work.
reddevildemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks. I figured it would the container says you can paint it on small areas with a brush. I guess I will be giving it a try.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
RCC Addict

You will have to clean the airbrush everytime really between coats so it does not clog up which is a pain. I would just put 3-4 good coats on with a regular paint brush and dry between each coat.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

sounds good
Old 10-08-2012, 12:36 AM   #6

I've used it quite a bit and it works very well. You want to do a few coats and don't worry if it is fairly thick. However, you don't want blobs or significant differences in thickness. Try for even coats with out large ridges as these are harder to cut through. I typically do 3 coats and that is usually enough. I've never tried spraying it with an airbrush. I do have one but wouldn't think of trying it. The stuff is far too thick to spray well unless you tried with a spray gun with a 1.5mm or 2mm tip or something similar. When you cut, make sure you use a very shape knife and don't press too hard or else, you will score the paint or even plastic underneath. If you want to cover a large area, you are better off using masking tape, paper and frisket.
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I use this stuff a lot too. I have tried airbrushing it on but it is definitely not worth the effort. Just do a couple coats with a 1/2" brush.

A quick tip, any creases or depressions you may want to do an extra coat cause if it is not thick enough in those areas it is a real pain in the a$$ to get off. (Think roll bars in short course bodies)
BC-Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #8
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TongueTied View Post
I've used it quite a bit and it works very well. You want to do a few coats and don't worry if it is fairly thick. However, you don't want blobs or significant differences in thickness. Try for even coats with out large ridges as these are harder to cut through. I typically do 3 coats and that is usually enough. I've never tried spraying it with an airbrush. I do have one but wouldn't think of trying it. The stuff is far too thick to spray well unless you tried with a spray gun with a 1.5mm or 2mm tip or something similar. When you cut, make sure you use a very shape knife and don't press too hard or else, you will score the paint or even plastic underneath. If you want to cover a large area, you are better off using masking tape, paper and frisket.
Yeah...That's GOTTA be a misprint. You'd have to run about 100psi PLUS to blow this stuff thru an airbrush & even then...it would be so atomized, it'd take you hours to get coverage.

Use an old spray gun if ya got one. I usually use a touchup gun with a 2.5 tip at about 40psi. I shoot 3 medium coats & it's plenty...dry between coats with an old hair dryer. Hot air guns can bubble the mask.

If you're gonna use a brush...just grab a handful of cheap foam brushes or 2" chip brushes & keep the coats light. Make sure you let each coat FULLY dry or you'll trap that moisture & it'll booger your paint job.

It's an easy process & MUCH better than tape or those lame precut vinyl "graphics".

J.D.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Liquid masking tape. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Negative effects of liquid masking? P3NGU1N Paint and Body 2 02-17-2010 12:15 PM
How to remove adhesive from body (Left by masking tape) MDcrawler72 Paint and Body 1 01-03-2009 12:05 PM
liquid tape. cammok5 Paint and Body 2 12-20-2008 04:22 PM
Masking tape... BagoXCAlum Chit Chat 7 05-22-2006 09:06 PM