Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Speedweigand Customs slide-in camper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #81
RCC Addict

Nice! I think I will have my daughter do the same. I like it.

-------
- sent using my phone

Online documentary and other rc videos - http://youtube.com/rcornmesser
Tin Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #82
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Speedweigand Customs slide-in camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedweigand View Post
I've only found 2 pics and they're from the 60's early 70's so they must not have been very big sellers...

Ah the TV antenna is a good easy one
I need a vac puller to make the A/C in 2 halves, I was talking to DRW about casting one in plastic and we came to the conclusion it'd be too heavy to be practical. I have no problem making a mold but I have 0 space left for a puller Do you have one?
Indirectly there are several reasons...
*The Hilux, Clod, Blackfoot are all early 80's trucks... if you had a newer truck and were going wheeling with a camper chances are it'd be a 500$ one so when sh@t happened you could just shove it off on the trail and burn it
*The new ones usually have fancy aerodynamic rounded profiles which would raise the difficulty of both making it on my end and assembling it for the end user.
* This ones just personal but I think the designs of the past were much more interesting to look at, tacky and wonderful. Todays styles have too many accountants effecting the outcome. Just look at the old jeep and that camper is a masterpiece of cheap american labor. I could carve a giant aerodynamic trailer outta foam, paint it white and slap a tribal dragon on the side and call it done On a side note a foam one might not be a bad idea... hmmm

I searched threads about campers and saw you were working on a big drag-behind... I'm not opposed to helping you make that at all I can blast out the sides and windows with accuracy that I couldn't touch on my best day before cnc.

I wanna work on one like this

High departure angle, narrower more expedition oriented.

I also want to have a larger one for guys more interested in making than the breaking.

Here I'll just show all the pics I have in a special folder waiting to be made

This this is so bad ass... I wanna hack up a lunchbox real bad

This is a very real possibility by the first of the year... if you guys want this speak up, I could make this really quick.

Some yota RV's

Something different for balance

...AND!

Farfigcamper![/QUOTE]

I was thinking adout that VW from the first pic. That would be kool.
crashlot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #83
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
Got my care package today windows look great working on them now while batts are charging for tomorrows comp, also got the rear light mounted. need to get a build posted soon.
I am working on LED's but its becoming difficult to find a nice amber plastic w/o going directly through China...

Where is the build thread man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebster View Post
this one looks interesting. don't have a bed for a slide in camper but can alway pull something with my rig. and making axles isn't a problem.
What I'm thinking is a little extension off the sides with a bearing sized recess so a hunk of brakeline could pass through and make the axle carrier. Add some all thread and your done, you guys that want suspension could easily cut off the extension... maybe it will glue on idk lol That's been back burnered for now, Christmas is around the corner and it's really hectic here. After the first of the year these will be a priority and won't take long.

Stuff like this is surprisingly popular

It's time consuming for the cutter but reasonably easy. My family, friends, and neighbors are keeping me with a never ending list of well I'd like to haves... and right now these are selling faster than campers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Soldier View Post
My kit came the other day and I have been slammed. I am going to try to do this justice, but I have never really attempted anything like this before. :-) I love the tow behind camper idea. :-)

But then I also love that 4x4 Ford van fronted camper too. :-) I'll take one of those awesome beasts IRL.

It's just like building a birdhouse lol Don't try to hard it's supposed to be fun

The van front thing is cool, I was little disappointed to see the Tamiya lunchbox is 1/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsILayDying View Post
Same here. No problem making axles. I can figure something out. The trailer rig just looks awesome.
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note (Phablet)
See above... I'll start a thread for it here soon and we'll get it hammered out in Jan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelspawn View Post
Of course

lol I was just checking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
Put the girfriends sewing skills to good use and had her make some curtains and a bed for the loft
That's pretty cool my girlfriend is only interested in burning my toys! lol her opinion of these campers is not a positive one.
Quote:
Nice! I think I will have my daughter do the same. I like it.

-------
- sent using my phone

Online documentary and other rc videos - Ryan Cornmesser - YouTube
It needs venetian blinds! I wanna see one of you styrene guys cut some slivers of plastic and make em

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashlot2 View Post

Farfigcamper!

I was thinking adout that VW from the first pic. That would be kool.
I don't think it'd be a hot seller though... I plan on making a (problem is idk what it's called) RV with a truck /van cab. Is this a class 3 or something? Anyway any front end could ultimately be used.

I want a Hilux drifter with the camper top

I need to mention that the Plexiglass is a $&@% and it will cut you mang... lol no really be careful, consider wearing gloves when removing it from the tree. A hacksaw blade with some tape around it on one end for you hand works well. This is not a good job for the Exacto blade, at least use a proper utility knife...

I have been experimenting with the tab thickness so for some they will fall out with a dirty look and others will need cut out...

Thanks as always
Speedweigand
Speedweigand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #84
Suck it up!

RV's with a van cab are called Class C's. The big boxes are Class A's.

If you can make slide ins, you can make proper tow behinds. Axles and frames would not be hard. Sourcing properly sized and usable wheels/tires might be.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #85
RCC Addict

He is correct. If you need help holler. I know a lot about campers, new and old.

-------
- sent using my phone

Online documentary and other rc videos - http://youtube.com/rcornmesser
Tin Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #86
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
RV's with a van cab are called Class C's. The big boxes are Class A's.

If you can make slide ins, you can make proper tow behinds. Axles and frames would not be hard. Sourcing properly sized and usable wheels/tires might be.
Thanks, I have no problem making wheels since they're non-driven but we do need a tire, I was looking at the 1.7" semi tires online.

Quote:
He is correct. If you need help holler. I know a lot about campers, new and old.

-------
- sent using my phone

Online documentary and other rc videos - Ryan Cornmesser - YouTube
Sweet, we'll get a bigger tow behind sorted out I'm sure. I'm working with DRW of Wolf Creek RV Park on some Top Secret scale stuff too should be interesting

Last edited by Speedweigand; 12-11-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #87

Nice! All you need is a couple of scale beer cans rolling around in it and your all set for Hillbilly 500
gixerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #88
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixerman View Post
Nice! All you need is a couple of scale beer cans rolling around in it and your all set for Hillbilly 500
I do need that! I like the ring of the Hillbilly 500.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #89
Rock Crawler

like these ??
Attached Images

Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #90
Suck it up!

Mmmm...Frosty Beer. My favorite brand.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #91
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedweigand View Post
I'm working with DRW of Wolf Creek RV Park on some Top Secret scale stuff too should be interesting
Didn't know you had two threads going on this. Just found this one. I'm just about done. I'll send you a rendering & if you like, we can dxf it & see if your CNC will eat it up. Holidays ate into my play time.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #92
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW-FJ40 View Post
Didn't know you had two threads going on this. Just found this one. I'm just about done. I'll send you a rendering & if you like, we can dxf it & see if your CNC will eat it up. Holidays ate into my play time.
Yeah I think this is the build thread lol idk I sorta didn't plan it out very well

The holidays are rough for me too... but it's almost time to for the Christmas shuffle. Even more perfect we are getting are first snow so the non-driving #$%@s will be out of control, somehow Ohioans forget how to drive in snow every year. To make it even better, now we have a huge Somalian population. I'm pretty sure it doesn't snow in Africa, these are the worse drivers yet.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #93
Quarry Creeper

Little update on a camper related project

Wolf Creek RC ORV Park scale picnic tables by SWC
Old 02-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #94
Rock Crawler

That's cool! I'll buy 1000.

That CNC eats up CAD models pretty well. Should we try something more challenging?

Old 02-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #95
Quarry Creeper

Well that is definitely more challenging ;)
Old 02-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #96
Quarry Creeper

Back on thread topic though... I have been wanting to build a beat up camper and I have talked to some of you about it so I thought I'd share some of the ideas.
First off cracked windows...

Tools required;
Airsoft gun
Safety glasses
Shoot window from about 3feet at slight angle to reduce the chance of you eating the pellet.

Patches and trim... Aluminum HVAC tape works great for all sorts of details. Lettering can be removed with acetone or a little alum polish.

Roof repairs... Liquid electrical tape sorta looks like roof tar

Fancy 60's trim... the crafts store sells 8x11 sheets of copper, brass, bronze, gold etc in super thin sheets, not quite "leaf" (they have that too) but thin enough to make a diamond pattern with or other designs with an x-acto blade.

Lighting! Check out Weapons camper build... he is the first one I've seen to utilize the predrilled holes.
Weapon's Trailfinder 2

More build pics!
Neon9's build toyota hilux with a Speedweigand Customs slide-in camper

That's it for now off to bed!
Old 02-06-2013, 07:18 AM   #97
Rock Crawler

Weapon's paint scheme is way cool. Looks fantastic with lights too.

The etching on the windows is brilliant. It makes it so easy to paint perfect black molding. Wish all ABS kit windows were done this way.

Speedweigand Customs slide-in camper - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Worlds first! Speedweigand Customs scale Lexan oil pan Speedweigand Axial Wraith 30 03-06-2014 10:47 PM
Worlds first! Speedweigand Customs scale Lexan oil pan Speedweigand Scale parts 11 10-21-2012 12:16 PM
Speedweigand Customs Wraith front shock mounts Speedweigand Scale parts 1 09-07-2012 04:28 PM
New scale accessory Speedweigand Customs scale Lexan oil pan Speedweigand Axial SCX-10 8 07-22-2012 10:23 AM
New scale accessory Speedweigand Customs scale Lexan oil pan Speedweigand Formula Offroad 13 06-18-2012 07:52 AM