Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Order of paint?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #1

Default Order of paint?

Newbie here. I have an Axial Ridgecrest that with the initial upgrades has been fantastic so far, not sure if I'm a pure crawler yet, like the bashing thing and just playing around so far. Anyway, picked up the HPI Bronco body today and realize I don't exactly know how to paint!!! So, after a few hours on youtube I have a clue! But that's it. If I want to do the roll bar, grill, and bumpers in chrome, the flares, hood & back side in black, and then do yellow for the fenders-doors-qtr's etc, I think I want that white stripe with "powered by ford"...and I would like tinted windows...

Can anyone tell me the correct order of paint?

I'm thinking the chrome should be first, mask the yellow parts and the white stripe, hit the black parts next, remove the tape and hit the yellow, then remove the mask off the white stripe and hit everything with white as a final?

I know this doesn;t account for the windows, so if someone could tell me when/where in the process that they get masked?

Also, besides tape, knife, scissors I guess I will need
Black
Yellow
White
Chrome
and Tint Color
Paints??

I looked all over for a thread on this, and got a lot of info, just not enough detail for me!!

Thx,
hueyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #2

Default Re: Order of paint?

You will want to do the black first because its the darkest so you don't have any bleed through. Then I would do the chrome then yellow then back everything in white. Have the windows masked from the start and after everything is painted you can unmask them and spray them with the tint. That's how I would do it anyway. Hope it helps
raptor775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyfisher View Post
Can anyone tell me the correct order of paint?

I'm thinking the chrome should be first, mask the yellow parts and the white stripe, hit the black parts next, remove the tape and hit the yellow, then remove the mask off the white stripe and hit everything with white as a final?

I know this doesn;t account for the windows, so if someone could tell me when/where in the process that they get masked?
Windows get masked right from the get-go, before doing anything, and stay masked throughout the whole process. IIRC chrome needs to get backed with black, so the chrome-black-yellow-white order you have is correct (assuming you're doing this from the inside/underside of a clear body). Then after all the colors you want are on there, then you'd unmask and tint the windows.

I don't know what chrome you're using, but here's what FasChrome looks like when backed with black, more like a brushed sheet metal. Did this from the underside, and went flat OD green, brown, and black on the outside. Any scratches now show up as 'down to bare metal' scratches.

Airbrushed on w/ a double action, internal mix airbrush. I probably should have gone with a larger nozzle, as the FasChrome is a metallic and plugged up my airbrush quite a bit (and yes, I did thin it down to get it somewhere around a milky consistency). I forget how many thin coats I did, but it was a lot. The black I got on in one or two.

One thing I found handy, though nowhere near mandatory, was that I have some dental picks for general poking and prodding, and I used the backsides (the curved areas) to press down the edges of the masking tape to try and get a better seal. Corner of a credit card works pretty well, too.
The picks also give you something to use for cleaning up small blemishes if paint does happen to leak under the tape. Or use a hobby knife, if that's whatcha got.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Additional info:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyfisher View Post
...and I would like tinted windows...
Let the paint fully cure and mask off your paint before applying your tint in even thin layers.
This will prevent your paintjob from darkening and/or 'melting'.
4wd4ws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #5

Thanks !
Appreciate the feedback, sounds like I'm not too far off from at least being dangerous!!!!

I just hope I have the patience to do the masking correctly, I know it's very tedious..I've done some automotive painting in my past, prep work always got the best of me...
hueyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Order of paint? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lexan Shell Paint Disaster, Paint Removal? Big Tex Paint and Body 15 02-08-2012 12:58 AM
Paint mask or easy way to paint houndstooth...ideas? nascarkeith Paint and Body 3 01-10-2012 01:57 PM
Where to order paint? NHMaxx Paint and Body 3 01-11-2011 09:17 PM
anybody ever paint the inside of a body with reg. paint? 2500hdon37s Paint and Body 9 05-25-2010 09:28 PM