Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Sticker Help (not the water ones)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 05:44 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Sticker Help (not the water ones)

I need some advice on the cut out stickers, not the ones that come off with water but the ones you have to cut out and place. I want to be able to work with them a little (slid them if needed) would a water/soap mixture mess them up? Would they still stick after this?

Thanks
Bret
bretkissick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 06:23 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Sticker Help (not the water ones)

I use water and rubbing alcohol mixed 50/50. Spray the body and the sticker (sticky side) and let site, then place and squeeze out the mixture and air bubbles with a credit card or similar.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #3

Hey I'm new to the forum but not new to RC and/or vinyl application. (posting up to get to classified level too lol)

the alcohol can work but may have a tendency to disrupt the adhesive depending on what vinyl your using. on a small application like RC dry is always better since your adhesive contact will be so small as compared to maybe a 1:1 application, but if you do need to go wet I'd say 3 parts clean water to 1 part windex. make sure all surfaces are clean and wipe with the cheapest paper towels you can find (more $$ = more additives like aloe, etc... and NO BLUE/SHOP RAGS, even the brand new rags will have oil/dye in them that will hinder the adhesive)
kart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the replies. Will these methods allow for a little movement if needed?
bretkissick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #5

Yes both will allow for movement, more alcohol content = faster drying time but don't forget to factor in surface and ambient temps as well...
Old 02-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart45 View Post
Hey I'm new to the forum but not new to RC and/or vinyl application. (posting up to get to classified level too lol)

the alcohol can work but may have a tendency to disrupt the adhesive depending on what vinyl your using. on a small application like RC dry is always better since your adhesive contact will be so small as compared to maybe a 1:1 application, but if you do need to go wet I'd say 3 parts clean water to 1 part windex. make sure all surfaces are clean and wipe with the cheapest paper towels you can find (more $$ = more additives like aloe, etc... and NO BLUE/SHOP RAGS, even the brand new rags will have oil/dye in them that will hinder the adhesive)

You have a good point with the alcohol and could discolor the decal as well, dependent on use.

I work for a transportation company and we use a soap (non-gritty) and water mixture to lightly spray the surface to allow movement and time to adjust to the position you desire. A credit card or hard plastic flat edge (without sharp edges) works great as well. What bubbles aren't removed with that technique can be removed by leaving it in the sun dry and hopefully remove them.

Just don't get over zealous with the soap and water, if you use too much it will be tough getting it to stick.
jjwiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

There is a product designed for this , its called RITE -ON ask a local vinyl shop or t=you local auto body supply shop , it also might be available on line I never looked but its the best stuff I have ever used . It does not effect the decal or the adhesive .
paleblue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #8

Rapid Tac is also awesome stuff and I would personally recommend it for any long-term application that will be exposed to outside elements for any extended duration. They have a whole line of cleaners, adhesive removers, and application fluids for different surfaces,vinyls and temperatures. I haven't used the Rite- but if its not available you'll be safe with Rapid Tac as well!

jjwiggs - Being in Gilbert (AZ I assume) it might be worth using one of these application fluids on your next application, I know it seems crazy but i know the folks at Rapid-Tac have tested the long term effects and their product definitely decreases the chance of vinyl and adhesive failure due to extended sun and heat exposure!

Sticker Help (not the water ones) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sticker help for a newbie!! rc dreemer Paint and Body 7 04-15-2011 10:10 AM
Brushless water run...look out lots of flying water Dogbreath Videos! 12 11-27-2010 12:50 PM