Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: stripping paint from lexan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2009, 07:25 PM   #41
www.team3sixrc.com

You know, I hate to say this but for the amount of money you guys are investing and time to do it, wouldnt just buying a new body be better anyways.

FYI: Parma airbrush paints and all water based paints will come off soaking in very hot water after about 2 hours, it generally takes about 2-3, 2 hour soaks to get 99% of it. and yes with Brake fluid or boiling off the paint it will leave the shell cloudy, but most of the time if you paint it close to the same color it will look like a new shell because paint fills the scratches.

Now that should also apply for faspearls and fasmetallics to the best of my knowledge.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2009, 08:16 AM   #42
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
You know, I hate to say this but for the amount of money you guys are investing and time to do it, wouldnt just buying a new body be better anyways.

FYI: Parma airbrush paints and all water based paints will come off soaking in very hot water after about 2 hours, it generally takes about 2-3, 2 hour soaks to get 99% of it. and yes with Brake fluid or boiling off the paint it will leave the shell cloudy, but most of the time if you paint it close to the same color it will look like a new shell because paint fills the scratches.

Now that should also apply for faspearls and fasmetallics to the best of my knowledge.
Have you even looked at how old this thread is ?

It works when you have body you can't buy anymore.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:48 AM   #43
www.team3sixrc.com

Its still good information for anyone that wants to learn to strip paint reguardless of how old the thread is.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:02 PM   #44
Pebble Pounder

finger nail polish remover works realy good and no foging.
DKSnipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:38 PM   #45
www.team3sixrc.com

I dont know what fingernail polish your using, but acetone does an awsome job at not only fogging, but eating lexan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKSnipes View Post
Old 09-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #46
Suck it up!

I just had to strip my wifes new Slash body completely bare after her failed attempt of painting for the first time ever (used almost a whole can! Paint on the outside too! ).

Brake fluid and a old washcloth took it all off, metallics too. No haze, very few scratches. After the repaint it looks like new.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:10 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

What can I use to remove lexan paint that I brushed on (thin lines) ?

I have tried plastic paint thinner, brake fluid, Easy off.
only some area have removed some paint.

This was just my 1st of 4 steps of painting my new body
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:20 AM   #48

you wont get the paint off good enough to be re painted and the paint actually staying on.

just get a new body.
savtraxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:18 PM   #49

Default thanks

just bought a used axial with ugly paint job cant wait to strip it off. thanks for the info everyone
turmoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:24 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

i could have used this info a few weeks back
k goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:14 AM   #51

thanks for that info
schulberger26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:50 AM   #52
Rock Crawler

I am doing my scaler body and didn't lkke how it ended up.

It stripped pretty easily with brake fluid...I had just painted it the night before so I guess it was still soft.

Other times I have tried it left the body looking cloudy.
mascman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #53

what about goo gone?
Slashnbash! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:25 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

I was in Fastenal a couple of days ago and they had a bunch of stuff on clearance (they are getting rid of stuff they don't sell much of) and I found Doradofix 1400
FOR $7.00

I painted some scrap pieces with 6 different paints and let it cure for 3 days then applied the stripper 5 minutes and the paint wipes right off. no scrubbing, brushing, ect.

It also has no smell or fumes that i can tell. and the lexan is nice and clear.

UPDATE: used it on a body that has been painted for a while, and it took several applications, but it did come off nice and clean.

Last edited by thumper68; 04-09-2010 at 02:43 PM. Reason: update
thumper68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #55
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKSnipes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
I dont know what fingernail polish your using, but acetone does an awsome job at not only fogging, but eating lexan.

non acetone nail polish remover will remove the paint with no fogging
crawler-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:58 PM   #56

Acetone will strip paint. It will also cause what seem like stress cracks. You can use it on anything except an edge. The edges must be more porous???The hazing of the body is not visible after painting. I tried acetone yesterday as an amateur rc painter, got a little on the back window of my bug, decided to wipe everything except the rest of the windows. The paint came out waaay better than I expected. None of the haze or minor scratching I created cutting the body and sanding the edges was visible. Now I've read this thread and know what everyone is doing I will try the reccomended products next. FYI acetone will remove anything fresh quickly. You just need to make sure the cloth is not dripping wet. Lightly saturated it will not create the edge stress cracks unless you continually rub an area.
dadi
mattdadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:02 PM   #57

Ps avoid windows. Once hazed I used black sharpie to cover the window. Once it dried I took a cloth covered in alcohol and dabbed the window. It came out looking like window tint. Cool. Thought I would need to paint it black after the hazing.
mattdadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:29 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdadi View Post
Ps avoid windows. Once hazed I used black sharpie to cover the window. Once it dried I took a cloth covered in alcohol and dabbed the window. It came out looking like window tint. Cool. Thought I would need to paint it black after the hazing.
Just are Team3Six stated earlier in this thread, ACETONE is a big no no!!!
It doesnt matter if you saturate a rag or dump it in a body. When the slightest bit of acetone comes in contact with bare lexan it will start melting it!!! This is why you get a haze or fog on the lexan as the surface has been eaten away.

If you want to remove acrylic based paints Isopropoly Alcohol 92% works really well.
Get yourself a tub slightly larger than your body and dump the alcohol directly into the shell.
Let it sit for 10-20 minutes then whipe clean with a paper towel.

If you are using enamel or laquer paints the alcohol will work on this as well but it has to be done in a short time frame after being sprayed! If either paint is allowed to cure to long the alcohol trick will still work but your lexan will become tinted from the color you sprayed.

To remove the tint you can go to your local auto parts store and get a bottle of 3M Plastic restore. This is a micro scrubber product that will remove scratches from headlights, tail lights and other plastic surfaces on a vehicle. It will do the same thing for your shell.

With all of this said. I think I would get a new shell or simply run the one you messed up on until it is beat to death then try again!!!
NeoNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #59
Rock Stacker

D.O.T 4 brake fluid works the best out of all the types out there
vwbambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:11 PM   #60

Try Mineral Spirits. I had a prepainted body that had some tough paint on it. Nothing but acetone would work, but that crazes the lexan. Had a can of Goo Gone (basically mineral spirits) and the paint came right off.

Safer than Easy Off and a lot less messier than any brake fluid.

After using the mineral spirits clean with alcohol then soap and water. Will look brand new.

Last edited by fourxblz; 07-11-2011 at 10:15 PM.
fourxblz is offline   Reply With Quote