Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Exterior scale Fabric on Poly Body's?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Exterior scale Fabric on Poly Body's?

Okay, anyone ever used a fabric on the outside of scale bodies? Say real vinyl on the seats? or fabric to simulate carpet?

Working on body I want to through some super scale looks to, but Im not sure what would work the best to glue this to the body with. We all know shoe lue works but its to thick to spread on a of stuff, Thick CA? but slower dry time but you have to be careful I know if discolors the body, or thin CA for instant adhesion but careful again.

I was thinking about using 3m Super S spray adhesive on the back of the fabric, just not sure if it will stick?

If someone has done anything like this let me know, or give me some tips.

Thanks
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #2

Default Re: Exterior scale Fabric on Poly Body's?

I would think the automotive fabric adhesive (the kind used for headliners) would work well for this if you could thin it down a little.

I'm curious what kind of fabric you're using that is scale looking for carpets?
d1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Im actauly also thinking of the thin double sided carpet tape, was lookint at that.

Quote:
I'm curious what kind of fabric you're using that is scale looking for carpets?
Looking at a lot of different fabrics...

Have a tan or gray nylon that looks berber wool lookk very thin looks like Jeep carpet, or indor out door carpet that you would see at lowes or Home Depot.

Then I have black canvas, or Black Vinyl that will actually encase the seats, along with homemade 4 point harness out of fabric. On top of the seats as well I am using a Yellow or orange piping in what would be a seam area of the seats (yellow or orange is based on the outside color Going tiger striped yellow with black or orange with black)

Im not sure if it will work, but hoping it will since I think that it will "ADD" some real nice scale look. Also my wife found at some Scrap book shop metalic Diamond plate sheets of (??) not sure its not paper but a very thin plastic, but no velum either. I ran it under water and did some durability test on it and its great! I told her to get me more and they don't have any, so I have just enough. I think she got it at a Hobby Lobby or Micheals SHe was using it in her die cutters for some custom art work she does.

Usually, I use paint on my interiors. I also never paint under the poly bodies for interiors but paint on the exterior. sure its easier to clean but I think it takes away from the scale look. Model Masters makes a few different paint's that are called interior colors and thats what I use, Just have to ruff up the interior a bit as it does not like poly bodys a lot.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I made a seat cover for my interior using a small American flag. I used a 3M spray adhesive, the trick is once you spray your fabric you let it sit for a minute to tack up. It's been in water, mud, snow and hasn't peeled up at all. The build link has a few pictures.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...61#post3910661
Propane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #5

I used black plastidip on the back of my chopped-top cherokee to look like bedliner, looks pretty good in my opinion.
d1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Exterior scale Fabric on Poly Body's? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dingo fabric top B94Cast Axial SCX-10 5 09-26-2012 08:31 PM
Scale Land Rover body's and accessories WLJayne General Scale Talk 4 09-09-2012 11:57 PM
Fabric doors? 396sahara 2.2 Scale Rigs 0 02-28-2009 01:13 AM
Where can i buy scale body's to XC? XCcrawler Newbie General 6 06-12-2007 11:09 PM