Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Appliance Epoxy????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
fly
Quarry Creeper

Default Appliance Epoxy????

I have some black appliance epoxy for refrigerators and such. Have any of you tried this type of spray paint on yur chassis? If so what is the success rate as far as it standing up to the abuse that we love to put our lil trucks through? Any input is helpful, the good and the bad Also is a primer necessary when using this paint?
fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
fly
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Appliance Epoxy????

Well, I just went for it. I will let you know how it works for me
Old 06-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

You won't be able to tell till you scratch it up on some rock....I'd like to know myself, tired of touching up my metal work.
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:23 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

I just picked up a can of this stuff tonight, going to try it on some bumpers I made, I'll also post my results. Painting tomorrow and torture testing on Sunday, stay tuned
oldrtybstrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
Jeep whore

I have used it, though I haven't used it on chassis'. You need to let it cure for a week, thats when it's at it strongest. And once you do a coat, you need to either re-coat after 30 minutes, or wait a week before re-cating, if you don't, the paint will wrinkle and peel off. But once you let it cure for that week, it's very durable.
scale4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
fly
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scale4x4 View Post
I have used it, though I haven't used it on chassis'. You need to let it cure for a week, thats when it's at it strongest. And once you do a coat, you need to either re-coat after 30 minutes, or wait a week before re-cating, if you don't, the paint will wrinkle and peel off. But once you let it cure for that week, it's very durable.
So.......that would mean I need to be patient Well it hasn't wrinkled yet but I will stop and let it cure then and see if it needs more coats Thanks for the input!
Old 06-29-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
fly
Quarry Creeper

Well this may be a bit premature but I feel like this paint is going to be AWESOME! After 2 coats and an overnight dry time, I can already feel the difference between regular paint and this appliance epoxy. The epoxy feels like it is way harder. That may be a good thing or it could also just chip in a way more drastic fashion. Only time will tell and I will most definitely put it to the test
Old 06-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
Jeep whore

I have painted a couple of small safes I made with the epoxy paint, after months of the 1/4" steel door slamming against the frame, the paint has yet to chip, or even scratch. You just have to let it cure for that one week.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
fly
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scale4x4 View Post
I have painted a couple of small safes I made with the epoxy paint, after months of the 1/4" steel door slamming against the frame, the paint has yet to chip, or even scratch. You just have to let it cure for that one week.
Woe that's very encouraging! Although it isn't granite its very good to hear that. Was the paint you used spray paint?
Old 06-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I used some biscuit colored appliance epoxy paint to paint some folding chairs, and found that it takes a few days to really cure. I used the chairs 2 days after I painted them, and they got scratched up. Now the paint is so hard I'm having a hard time even blasting it off to fix them. Seems to me if I had let them sit for another day or 2 I would have been better off. Just my experience with it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
mszymanski25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
Jeep whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly View Post
Woe that's very encouraging! Although it isn't granite its very good to hear that. Was the paint you used spray paint?

Yes, spray paint.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #12
fly
Quarry Creeper

So far so good! You can just feel the difference its crazy I have been pretty cautious and not come down hard on any rocks yet but the inevitable has happened...its a rock crawler! The results are awesome and the sound this makes when you do hit a rock is cool then you look and its barely even scratched, well worth the $6 Im sure it will look like hell after a couple packs but im lovin it right now!
Old 07-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #13
fly
Quarry Creeper

Here we go! I am going to test the paint today and see how it does in a "real world" situation. I will let you know how it goes
Old 07-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I painted my bumper last week, but the paint stayed kind of gummy for a long time, so decided to let it cure for a week before torture testing. It holds up really well, better than "run of the mill" rust paint. I'll be using this as my "go to" chassis paint from now on, I just recommend at least 5 or 6 day cure before abusing it
Old 07-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I'm going to use the appliance epoxy next time. It still looks good. Don't forget to post an after the rocks picture.
seph606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Are you going to post a picture of the spray can. I need to get some and keep it in the garage.
seph606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by seph606 View Post
Are you going to post a picture of the spray can. I need to get some and keep it in the garage.
Here ya go, i might be picking up some myself, they usually have black, white, tan. I would love a satin finish, but i think they might just make it in gloss.

Kylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #18
fly
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Kylar I have been slackin! I actually didn't even use appliance epoxy. Im a goon I thought it was when I bought but after looking all I bought was epoxy paint. So my test is not as accurate as I thought. But it was a success and I will strip this down after July 20 and repaint it with the proper Appliance epoxy then test the REAL Appliance epoxy. If it is even more stout then we are in for a treat
Old 07-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #19

Anyone against powdercoating?
Phippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylar View Post
Here ya go, i might be picking up some myself, they usually have black, white, tan. I would love a satin finish, but i think they might just make it in gloss.

That's the stuff I used, great paint once it cures. I would've posted a pic, but I guess I'm still too much of a noob here, they wont let me

Appliance Epoxy???? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need some appliance help... Duuuuuuuude Chit Chat 36 05-26-2013 08:47 PM
Appliance Car Forums BJoe Chit Chat 7 11-27-2012 10:08 AM
Any Appliance guys??? ridepate Chit Chat 8 04-26-2012 09:06 AM
Epoxy repellent? LAV25 Paint and Body 3 11-02-2011 12:18 AM
Epoxy paint Sparky2 Paint and Body 4 12-16-2009 05:28 PM