Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: ☆ The Chop Shop What Glue to Use For Body Work/Repairing Cracks in Plastic and Why ☆

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2016, 10:14 AM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: ☆ The Chop Shop What Glue to Use For Body Work/Repairing Cracks in Plastic and W

Sho goo and a few small hobby rivets is what I use

Form the old leather shoppe
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2016, 10:20 AM   #102

Default Re: ☆ The Chop Shop What Glue to Use For Body Work/Repairing Cracks in Plastic and W

So the shoe goo won't hurt the paint ? Do you just leave the rivets exposed ?
4508js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:24 PM   #103
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: The Chop Shop What Glue to Use For Body Work/Repairing Cracks in Plastic and W

The sho goo can wrinkle the paint if you don't prep well. I sand my bodies with red automotive scotch and clean with spaxx body prep. I haven't had it happen to me but I know it can. I put the rivets In a location that looks cool if possible.

Last edited by snapon boy; 03-25-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:25 PM   #104
I wanna be Dave

If you read to posts above it talks in depth about shoo goo and paint.

Old 03-25-2016, 02:36 PM   #105
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4508js View Post
I just ordered an Axial Jeep NuKizer body kit, what would you suggest to use to attach the grill and bumpers ? Sorry I know you probably get tired of answering these questions but I'm totally new to the RC world in general
Nope, never tired of it bub . You can use Shoogoo to attach those items but I would do the following...

Lightly scuff the area that the glue will be touching prior to paint. Make sure to use light coats of paint on those areas until you have coverage. You want to only use a thin smear of ShooGoo to hold the pieces on. You can secure them to the body with masking tape until the glue cures. If you use a thick layer of glue or don't lightly scuff the area prior to paint it will more than likely pull the paint from the lexan and cause a wrinkle effect to show up in the finish.

FYI- Shoogoo will shrink when it is fully cured, that's why it pulls the paint or plastic and causes the wrinkling. Using a thin layer and scuffing the surface before paint ensures that the paint doesn't get pulled away from the surface once the Shoogoo cures.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:09 AM   #106
Rock Crawler

OK, just want to confirm. Hardbody work. Shoe goo the butt weld, back it up with some styrene overlapping the joint and use the Tenax to bond the styrene to the overlapping joint?

Sound right?

Wes
WesTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:06 PM   #107
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesTX View Post
OK, just want to confirm. Hardbody work. Shoe goo the butt weld, back it up with some styrene overlapping the joint and use the Tenax to bond the styrene to the overlapping joint?

Sound right?

Wes
Close. PM inbound.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:53 PM   #108
I wanna be Dave

I'm definitely no expert, but shoegoo for hard body butt weld? I thought a butt weld on a hard body would be better with a glue that melts the parts together and shoegoo was best for lexan to lexan or lexan to abs? I haven't read this thread in a long time, maybe I should re read it lol
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:10 PM   #109
waw
Quarry Creeper

just stumble upon this "glue" thread.. greatly appreciated...

and (the glues) just readily available where I live (indonesia)
-shoe goo
-goop
-E6000

looking forward in learning many new tricks for RC
waw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:24 AM   #110
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdady View Post
I follow up with the CA glue. Cover the seam, but don't soak it down with glue. I usually will cover 1/4" on each side of the seam. I basically just go back and forth down the crack/joint and then press a strip of styrene in place for strength. Once that has setup with either time or insta-cure I will cover the styrene with ShooGoo "thumbsup
Can i just ask why you use ca glue to hold the strip on the back rathet than bondene? Surely bondene would melt the edges together? Thanks.
neilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:07 AM   #111
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilus View Post
Can i just ask why you use ca glue to hold the strip on the back rathet than bondene? Surely bondene would melt the edges together? Thanks.
Bondene would over time, I guess you could clamp it or just hold it for a while. But I prefer to use CA glue so I can move on to other parts of the build.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:31 PM   #112
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the reply. I did wonder if it was just to speed it up.
neilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:01 PM   #113

For filling in minor holes / cracks in the body, would you say JB weld is a good option? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it can be sanded and painted.
jsarwar469 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boobs, cracks, glue, how to, repair

☆ The Chop Shop What Glue to Use For Body Work/Repairing Cracks in Plastic and Why ☆ - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
☆ Junfac/Gmade XD Piggyback shock review ☆ Hoosierdady General Scale Talk 13 02-13-2021 10:41 AM
[HOMELESS] HOBBIES HOT[MOG] 1.9 UniMog Build☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆BEEP BEEP MUTHRMOGR ScaleDustin 1.9 Scale Rigs 55 02-22-2013 12:56 PM
HOMELESS HOBBIES Micro Toyota FJ build ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ Losi Micro Trail Trekker ScaleDustin Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 54 01-21-2013 12:45 PM
The HOMELESS hobbies ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ goodbye 2012 GIVEAWAY ScaleDustin Chit Chat 499 01-02-2013 07:29 PM