Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: ☆ The Chop Shop What Glue to Use For Body Work/Repairing Cracks in Plastic and Why ☆

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #41

Default Re: ☆ The Chop Shop What Glue to Use For Body Work/Repairing Cracks in Plastic and W

Thanks
cdnhobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Default Re: ☆ The Chop Shop What Glue to Use For Body Work/Repairing Cracks in Plastic and W

This really needs to be a sticky in my opinion, awesome guide!!
sgtbham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #43
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtbham View Post
This really needs to be a sticky in my opinion, awesome guide!!
Thanks man . Im not sure how these threads become "Stickied", but rate the thread if you find it useful and maybe a mod will "stick it" one day .

On side note, I've had a couple ask about CA remover or De-bonding agents. I have now tried both of these brands and they both work fine. You have to allow the de-bonding agent to soak and soften up the CA glue for a little, but it will "un-cure" the glue with a little patience and work. I buy mine on Ebay when my LHS is out of stock .

Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Great thread. You can make a very strong joint when joining two bodies together. I don't see how a completely custom body like some of these MAN and HEMTT trucks in the multi-axle section survive a roll over but maybe the stuffs stronger than I think. Here's a extended cab f-250 I made a few years ago, it's never broke and it gets beat on.

Used some rectangular sticks to brace it across a longer section of the body and some flat pieces right across the joint.

A large piece to try and make the roof as flat as possible, I think I had put a thin piece right across the joint to build it up some because of the way the roof slopes where the two met.

Can't even tell where they were joined.

I ran it with the honcho bed for awhile but when I got my Wraith I wanted to make it into a huge jacked up dually.
And this is how it sets now.

maxxa87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #45
Fan of wheelspeed

Looks pretty nice . Guys, please don't post up a whole lot of pics on here unless it pertains to the topic. With that being said, nice dually
Old 09-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

I have been using this for years and find it hands down the best product for bonding Styrene and ABS.

IPS Weld-On #3 Acrylic Adhesive Very Fast Set, 1 pt Can, Clear: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Hope that helps !

On the de-bonding agents for Ca glue....acytone works great or fingernail polish remover if the other half has some handy( not the low odoer safe stuff). Read the ingrediants in the de-bonders...acytone is in all of them if my memory is correct.

Last edited by hotwheels000; 09-29-2013 at 03:04 PM.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Agreed... sticky material!
Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creep View Post
Agreed... sticky material!
Glue usually is....... Bazinga!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #49
Pebble Pounder

Great ideas!
I will be trying these!
JOETRUCKER80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:46 AM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Have anyone use JB Weld PlasticBonder or their PlasticWeld?
it seem they have more items are they good for us?
Plastic/Composite/PVC Archives » JB Weld
arevir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #51
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by arevir View Post
Have anyone use JB Weld PlasticBonder or their PlasticWeld?
it seem they have more items are they good for us?
Plastic/Composite/PVC Archives » JB Weld
I've not tried that. If you do let us know how it works out.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #52
Fan of wheelspeed

I've gotten a few questions on the order or how to use all three glues on a seam. I use the Tenax 7r/Bondene first to kind of prep the plastic. Hold your seam together while doing this. Once that has set up a little (it will still be fragile) I follow up with the CA glue. Cover the seam, but don't soak it down with glue. I usually will cover 1/4" on each side of the seam. I basically just go back and forth down the crack/joint and then press a strip of styrene in place for strength. Once that has setup with either time or insta-cure I will cover the styrene with ShooGoo or E6000. Don't make a mess with it, but keep a thin coat of maybe 1/16" or more and again go about 1/4" past the sides of the styrene. Once that has dried you will have a very strong bond that will more than likely never break. If it does break chances are that the plastic around your new seam will break instead. I've used this 3 step method for a while now with nothing but great results .
Old 11-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

I have a member on another site teaching me a few things on styrene. His method is not identical but very close. This thread is great for people like myself. I'm doing my first hardbody modding in a week or so for the first time. I'll do a thread on it. Gonna be putting a hilux body on a wraith. It was started for me but far from finished. Please mods sticky this thread.
crazy nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #54

Hey guys, new here,but just wanted to weigh in. For any abs bonding, I use 5minute epoxy plastic weld. Just FYI.
JOKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

What are you guys using to clean styrene before working with it? I bought several 12x24" sheets of 0.060" from amazon and they all look like they have been run over. 3 of the 4 are ok but one is kinda warped and extra grimey.

Sent from my computer-phone.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #56
Fan of wheelspeed

Just wipe them down with some alcohol or clean them with some soapy water. To help get rid of the grimy-ness, lightly sand the sheets with a sander or a sanding block.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdady View Post
Just wipe them down with some alcohol or clean them with some soapy water. To help get rid of the grimy-ness, lightly sand the sheets with a sander or a sanding block.
thanks. I used Dawn soap, warm water and a kitchen semi soft scrub pad. Did the trick.

I'll be testing my building skills soon and referring back to this thread.

Szczerba's Tow Rig

Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #58
Rock Stacker

Cool Re: ☆ The Chop Shop What Glue to Use For Body Work/Repairing Cracks in Plastic and W

Big thanks to hoosierdady for the help on filling the old mounting holes on my sons bronco body..I used spot putty and tape on the other side and it looks great..if you wanna take a peek at it , its under the 1.9 section...just look for my name and post..thanks again man..
HotRod2507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #59
Quarry Creeper

Good info in this post!
blumaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Can we get a mod to glue, i mean sticky, this thread?
Hulldiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boobs, cracks, glue, how to, repair

☆ The Chop Shop What Glue to Use For Body Work/Repairing Cracks in Plastic and Why ☆ - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
☆ Junfac/Gmade XD Piggyback shock review ☆ Hoosierdady General Scale Talk 13 02-13-2021 10:41 AM
[HOMELESS] HOBBIES HOT[MOG] 1.9 UniMog Build☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆BEEP BEEP MUTHRMOGR ScaleDustin 1.9 Scale Rigs 55 02-22-2013 12:56 PM
HOMELESS HOBBIES Micro Toyota FJ build ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ Losi Micro Trail Trekker ScaleDustin Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 54 01-21-2013 12:45 PM
The HOMELESS hobbies ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ goodbye 2012 GIVEAWAY ScaleDustin Chit Chat 499 01-02-2013 07:29 PM