Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Paint Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #1

Default Paint Question

So Im painting a new body for a my scx10. The theme of the truck is Junkyard Dawg. So here is my question. How do I paint realistic looking rust? Any pics or tips would be appreicated.

Thanks in advance.
19_mustang_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #2

Default Re: Paint Question

Mix 2:1 tan/brown paint with baking soda. Use it on the outside of the body for best results. Look and texture of real rust!
Phippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:00 PM   #3

Smile Re: Paint Question

Just found this thread. 2 months later but I hope I can still give some pointers. Real rust on an rc car is mindblowing to everyone that doesn't know the trick. And I'm talking REAL rust! This stuff is really tough. Won't chip off like any paint based application. You get this product called Sophisticated Finishes. You get it at Michaels craft stores. Its a 2 part brush on metal paste and a brush on liquid activator. There is an awesome video on You Tube titled "How to rust an rc car" It was done by Frank Mc. That would be me . I have used this stuff with great success. You can rust glass, rubber, even wood. I have won several concourses. Try it. This stuff will amaze you and its not that hard to do. The video shows exactly how to do it, plus you can always pm me with any questions.
Attached Images

Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Location: Working in my dream RC workshop and remodeling my entire home.

That is pretty cool stuff. Looks great! Does this only work on hard bodies or will this work with lexan? One thing I have done with lexan is before painting, I heat up spots with a butane torch to mar them up. I then apply rust colored paint with a brush to those spots inside the body. Finally, I paint my body inside like normal. The rust spots show through upon completion. Another good method is to paint the inside of a lexan body with rust colored paint and paint the outside with the body color of choice. When the body gets scrapped up, the rust will show through. Both work, but not nearly as realistic as this!! Hats off! Nice work!!!!

This truck got me in the pages of RCCar Action mag.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
MAXXMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:26 AM   #5

Default Re: Paint Question

That truck is awesome! Love the rusted dents. And yes, I use it on lexan. That stuff is kinda like paint. You can put it on lexan, rubber, metal, glass, hard plastic, and it all comes out the same! That Chevy station wagon is clear lexan. Body by Parma. Watch that video I did. Its step by step how to get that look. Congrats on getting into RCcar mag. That is a big deal. I did dents on a guys truck bed he had. Same way you did it. Keep up the great work.
Attached Images

Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote

Paint Question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Paint question PhantomRS10 Paint and Body 5 04-20-2012 08:46 PM
Paint Question mastathug0 Paint and Body 8 12-21-2008 04:30 PM
Paint Question Benzbuildr Paint and Body 7 12-18-2008 09:21 PM
Paint Question txrenegade Newbie General 2 10-22-2007 12:24 AM
paint question four wheel peel Paint and Body 3 07-25-2007 09:36 PM