Notices

Thread: Need some NewBright help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Need some NewBright help

I was very lucky and I picked up this 1/8 F150 for $40

IMG_6881 by sgtbforza, on Flickr

Before I do anything to mess this body up I have a few questions for you guys that have worked with these bodies before - As you can see the headlights/tailights are a bit faded and lackluster

IMG_5385 by sgtbforza, on Flickr

IMG_3404 by sgtbforza, on Flickr

What is the best way to restore them? Do they come apart easily? Sorry to ask these simple questions but I will probably never get another one of these bodies I want to do everything right.
sgtbham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Need some NewBright help

Also, do most people remove the "new bright" from the windshield or paint over it? If you do remove it, how?
Old 07-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Use the headlight stuff from auto zone
noobiescaler35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
RCC Addict

spray clear, will bring the tail light luster back for sure, but the headlights would look best if just polished them, like with some FLITZ or some light buffing compound
FATBOYrs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
Fan of wheelspeed

Nice find sir! Just polish up the headlights with some light buffing compound, worst case scenario you can clear coat them. To remove them, I use a soldering iron and heat up the plastic on the backside and they'll just push right out no problem. As for the NEWBRIGHT on the windshield, use some alcohol or fingernail polish remover.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the replies fellas! I decided to grow a set and start prying things off, worked out pretty well - broke a tab off of a headlight lens but a little shoe goo and nobody will ever know. Now I need to buy an scx10 to go under it haha
Old 07-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Also, im considering picking up the F150 crewcab lexan body for the savage to hack the windows out...not sure how that will work out though.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtbham View Post
Also, im considering picking up the F150 crewcab lexan body for the savage to hack the windows out...not sure how that will work out though.
Don't do that. Just buy some clear styrene (Ebay or Hobby store) and cut it to fit. That'll be ALOT cheeper. You can use .20 or .40 depending on how thick you want it to be.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdady View Post
Don't do that. Just buy some clear styrene (Ebay or Hobby store) and cut it to fit. That'll be ALOT cheeper. You can use .20 or .40 depending on how thick you want it to be.
Wow thanks! I wasnt aware such a thing existed!
Old 07-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #10

Quote:
As for the NEWBRIGHT on the windshield, use some alcohol or fingernail polish remover.
Be very careful if you do that.
I tried finger nail polish remover (without acetone) after reading that it worked good for that. It did remove the letters, but it melted the white liquid into the windshield. Further use of nail polish remover did nothing, alcohol did the same thing to the letters. They both melted the windshield and gave it a very rough texture. I had to sand the windshield to fix it

Further advice,
I have the Raptor body. Im removing the stickers and everything.
Alcohol, fingernail polish remover, and liquid wrench eat threw the paint very fast. Do not use them on the paint.
Ive found that its best to peel the stickers off the best you can by hand, soak the exposed paper backing in liquid wrench (i squirted some in a bowl and used a Q-tip to soak the paper, making sure to avoid getting it on the paint,) then peel off the paper backing that sticks to the body (itll come off very easy after it soaks for a minute.) Then, for sticky residue, Neverdull worked great. If you rub it too much, itll slowly take off paint, but i never had enough come off to see a difference.
The paint on these Newbright bodies seems to be very sensitive to chemicals.

Last edited by fcfordlord; 07-22-2013 at 09:55 PM.
fcfordlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:50 AM   #11
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcfordlord View Post
Be very careful if you do that.
I tried finger nail polish remover (without acetone) after reading that it worked good for that. It did remove the letters, but it melted the white liquid into the windshield. Further use of nail polish remover did nothing, alcohol did the same thing to the letters. They both melted the windshield and gave it a very rough texture. I had to sand the windshield to fix it

Further advice,
I have the Raptor body. Im removing the stickers and everything.
Alcohol, fingernail polish remover, and liquid wrench eat threw the paint very fast. Do not use them on the paint.
Ive found that its best to peel the stickers off the best you can by hand, soak the exposed paper backing in liquid wrench (i squirted some in a bowl and used a Q-tip to soak the paper, making sure to avoid getting it on the paint,) then peel off the paper backing that sticks to the body (itll come off very easy after it soaks for a minute.) Then, for sticky residue, Neverdull worked great. If you rub it too much, itll slowly take off paint, but i never had enough come off to see a difference.
The paint on these Newbright bodies seems to be very sensitive to chemicals.

I used regular rubbing alcohol from Walmart on my Newbright Jeep and it came off without any issues at all and the windshield is as clear as can be. You don't want to soak it, just get some on a rag and gently rub it off . I have only heard of guys using the remover and such, never tried it myself.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #12

Quote:
I used regular rubbing alcohol from Walmart on my Newbright Jeep and it came off without any issues at all and the windshield is as clear as can be. You don't want to soak it, just get some on a rag and gently rub it off . I have only heard of guys using the remover and such, never tried it myself.
I used rubbing alcohol, which was 70% alcohol (so not too strong.) When I used that, and when I used the fingernail polish remover, i dipped a Q-tip in the liquid and lightly rubbed it on the lettering. Again, both of them removed the lettering but smeared it on the windshield and gave it a rough texture.
Maybe a rag would've worked better to soak up the lettering before it could soak into the windshield, or maybe Newbright is just using a different plastic for these Ford bodies? I noticed it's very soft compared to all the other Newbright bodies I've dealt with in the past (two different style 1/6 scale H2's, 1/6 scale CXT, smaller scale but older Jeep)
fcfordlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Need some NewBright help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
another newbright tj ha ha kaneohecrawler Axial SCX-10 15 01-16-2013 08:06 PM
NewBright help.... SGTHopkins Newbie General 3 11-16-2009 05:16 PM
what is the wb on the newbright fj 4x4boy General Scale Talk 2 01-27-2008 06:11 PM
newbright tuber53 General Crawlers 3 05-13-2007 03:27 AM