Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: What's your favorite air brush paint?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Question What's your favorite air brush paint?

Is there anything better to look into before I order a buch of faskolor?
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: What's your favorite air brush paint?

SpazStix
1tonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tonscout View Post
SpazStix
And this is better than faskolor? For what reason?
Old 08-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

oil base. cool colors. mirror chrome. metallics. color change paint.

all of the above make spazstix better than faskolor.

buy whatever kind of paint that floats your boat
1tonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Spazstix, i belive is lacquer based..
I use the patra in the jar.......also lacquer based
Didnt like the way fast color sprayed...
roksloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #6

from my experience, spazstix seemed to spray a little better, with a finer atomization. downside is the lacquer thinner cleanup / fumes. faskolor worked pretty well too, just had to crank up the psi to get it to spray decently.
lodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Faskolor thinned with auto air reducer or windex
Auto air, createx and wicked colors are on my bench too
Can't deal with lacquer based fumes
Bc Paints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bc Paints View Post
Faskolor thinned with auto air reducer or windex
Auto air, createx and wicked colors are on my bench too
Can't deal with lacquer based fumes
What's the ratio for faskolor to auto-air reducer? What speed of reducer do you like?
Old 08-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigels_world View Post
What's the ratio for faskolor to auto-air reducer? What speed of reducer do you like?
I use the 4011 flash reducer, about 8:1
Bc Paints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #10

I LOVE Pactra Acryl! It's the Pactra water based paint. Sprays nice and bonds well. I back it with FasKote by Parma. It's the ONLY Parma paint that I like....mainly it is because it makes the paint bond so much better. The rest of the Parma paint, as far as I am concerned sucks! It does not spray well, it doesn't adhere well, especially to itself. It fisheyes on perfectly clean prepared surfaces, puddles, pools...the list goes on. I really like the Pactra Lacquer paint too.....sprays great and adheres like no ones business! I use the water based primarily though as I spray in my second bedroom in my apartment and don't want to kill my birds with the fumes from the Lacquer stuff. But, Pactra is now discontinued by Testors.....grab all you can while you can! I am!
KennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
Fifth dimension

Bc nailed it. Painting is a huge part of my life. I do use faskolor but I'm vibing on createx right now. Demand for crazy detail ( thanks to the skins game) is through the roof. I even 2nd the windex
Crawllife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I haven't tried Windex with the Faskolor/Createx but I've heard of using Fantastic as well.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #13

I just found the Createx wicked paint when my wife drug me into a hobby lobby. I love the way it sprays! And some insane colors to boot.
njohns14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Been painting with Createx and Faskolor since August and I have to say I like it a lot. I got the thinner and clear base from Createx and I use about a teaspoon in each bottle to thin it out. Even though it says it's spray ready, it's not. The metallic and flake ones need a larger needle (I've been using 0.8mm) for those and 0.5mm for the other stuff. I have a siphon airbrush right now but planning on getting a gravity feed cup version too.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Thinning the FasKolor/Createx paints is when you start to have problems with fisheyes, and bonding issues. Parma recommends spraying their paints at 50 psi., I spray at 45 and do not have any problems straight from the bottle. Most air brush compressors will not spray at a constant 45 psi. You either need a high end dual piston air brush compressor, or a shop compressor with a tank.

Spaz Stix paints are lacquer based, and while lacquers are are easy to spray and more durable, clean up is a pain, and you have the noxious fumes. I used to do a bunch of guitar refinishing, and after feeling my brain slowing down, I now avoid using lacquers. Just make sure you wear a spray mask, and have plenty of ventilation. It should also be noted that while most of Spaz Stix line is lacquer based, some backing colors are enamel based, and require 2-3 days drying time before switching paint and laying your next coat. I love the Mirror Chrome. It is alcohol based and requires a water based protective coat, making it perfect to use with acrylics such as FasKolor.

Just my two cents.
crazydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:25 AM   #16
Proverbial threadkiller

All my (limited) airbrush experience has been with Fascolor and Tamiya flat acrylics. Never seen any fisheyes that I can remember.
I've used both a cheap Testors SA/EM sprayer, and a Harbor Freight DA/IM airbrush, both on a small Craftsman 3 gal ( I think) pancake style air compressor. Don't remember what I ran the psi at, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave View Post
Parma recommends spraying their paints at 50 psi., I spray at 45 and do not have any problems straight from the bottle. Most air brush compressors will not spray at a constant 45 psi. You either need a high end dual piston air brush compressor, or a shop compressor with a tank.
For the last few years I've been kickin' around the idea of picking up an airbrush compressor for painting in the basement. Now the LHS is having a 'retirement sale' (going out of business sale), and I imagine the discounts will pile up over the next few weeks. They have a couple Paasche compressors, but I don't know what model. IIRC not one of the higher end units, $120-$150, I think. Are these, then, not really worth getting? Is there any real drawbacks to going tankless? Am I just going to be hating life if I pick one of these things up?
I kinda just wanted something smaller, quieter, and more portable than the Craftsman.

Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubble View Post
For the last few years I've been kickin' around the idea of picking up an airbrush compressor for painting in the basement. Now the LHS is having a 'retirement sale' (going out of business sale), and I imagine the discounts will pile up over the next few weeks. They have a couple Paasche compressors, but I don't know what model. IIRC not one of the higher end units, $120-$150, I think. Are these, then, not really worth getting? Is there any real drawbacks to going tankless? Am I just going to be hating life if I pick one of these things up?
I kinda just wanted something smaller, quieter, and more portable than the Craftsman.

I do a lot of painting and I've burned up three compressors in the $120-150 range. They get too hot under constant use. I have a pancake compressor, but it's too loud to use all the the time. I debated over getting a high end compressor, but ended up getting one from Harbor Freight for $65. It has a max pressure of 57 psi, and sprays at close to a constant 40, and for an extra $10 I got a one warranty, so I hope it does burn up. Otherwise the good airbrush compressors seem to be in the $250 range.
crazydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #18
Proverbial threadkiller

Okay, thanks.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote

What's your favorite air brush paint? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
air brush snohiker Paint and Body 3 11-03-2011 09:27 PM
Air Brush Kit 01XJ Chit Chat 1 10-27-2008 09:43 PM
what is a good paint for air brush infamouse_1 Paint and Body 2 08-14-2008 06:20 AM
air brush masking? RcFanatic92 Paint and Body 7 03-03-2008 10:29 AM
AIR BRUSH! I don't need not stinking air brush... BUBBA069 Chit Chat 16 02-27-2007 01:16 AM