Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Mounting Rubicon body. Front tire rubbing bumper when turned ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Mounting Rubicon body. Front tire rubbing bumper when turned ...

First off this is my first build.

After spending a couple of days trimming all of the body parts out and fitting, and doing a really clean job, I messed up and drilled the body mount holes 2-3 mm off so the body now sits too far forward. If I had been paying attention I would have seen that those back clips should touch the back seats when locked in (mine are about 2-3 mm away)

With only about half shock compression and a slight turn my tire hits the vertical portion of the bumper and pushes the body in. Why I didn't test this in the first place is beyond me.

Now it doesn't look like pushing the body back 2-3 mm will solve the problem completely. Is this tire rub a known problem that people just live with ? There are three solutions I can see. Push the body back even farther. Redrill the mounting posts at the back so the clips go in sideways so I can push the body back even further. Lift the body. I don't really want to do this since I don't like the look. Currently theres a 2mm gap between the body and the top of the transmission. The last thing I have thought about doing is cutting off the fenders.

Since I lack in experience I want to ask the pros what they are doing. I've got a new body coming in since redrilling the mounting holes is going to make it look pretty nasty.

THanks for the input.
flarezfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Mounting Rubicon body. Front tire rubbing bumper when turned ...

Well did you position the bumper so that it looked right with your body mistake or did you go off the directions and mount the bumper in the right hole on the bumper mount?
Can you flip the offset body posts to correct the body hole problem? If not you could make some ne mounts for the body so it doesnt have extra holes.
bagged86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I mounted the fenders following the directions. I was actually following Benders body build guide on the axial blog. Everything looked good so I drilled away. I had no idea that the space in that area was so bloody tight. Major lesson learned. I should have flexed the suspension to confirm the fit before drilling. It doesn't look off when you look at it from the side, but the turning performace with a little bit of flex is terrible.

I did try flopping the mounts over but it was a bit extreme..though having said that I got zero tire rub I need about half that offset. I think I'II take your advise and see if I can make some new mounts. I guess the positive of this experience is now I have a body I can no test things out on.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
Fan of wheelspeed

Just fill the old holes and drill some new ones. If you want to get creative, put some Poison Spyder flares on it.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

fill the holes. I never thought that would be an option. I'm guessing that an exterior paint job would have to be done after doing that....I'II do a search and see if I can find any details on filling holes. cheers.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I had kind of a similar issue. My wheelbase was also a hair off in both directions. rather than stretch the front and rear links i stretched the rear and moved the shock hoops to compensate. i had to drill holes in the frame to remount. This has caused me to get creative, with "bolt on" parts, in a few instances.
Hulldiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Mounting Rubicon body. Front tire rubbing bumper when turned ... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEED HELP with scx10 wrangler unlimited mounting lights in bumper and body srhxj Newbie General 4 07-17-2013 06:36 PM
In the opinion of the masses, what is the best looking front bumper for the Rubicon? Hatersauce Axial SCX-10 4 07-11-2013 06:34 AM
Winch mounting ideas for front bumper P-diddy28 Axial Wraith 3 01-23-2013 08:02 AM
Ideas on Mounting Front Bumper/Bull Bar?? alexchen86 Tamiya XC/CC01 5 03-15-2012 06:46 AM
Honcho front bumper mounting options... hh65flyer Axial SCX-10 9 06-29-2010 02:46 PM